Beresford 7510 MK 6 Mini Review/comparison
Aug 26, 2007 at 2:19 PM Post #16 of 324
I am just comparing the 7510 to a stock 2.5C. I have had 3 different ZHalous. Two were modded. One had blackgates and a bunch of other mods just short of the output stage being done. The other just had the caps shorted and I can't recall the rest of it but it was a minor modding.

Aug 26, 2007 at 2:51 PM Post #17 of 324
Quote:

Originally Posted by spacemanspliff /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am just comparing the 7510 to a stock 2.5C. I have had 3 different ZHalous. Two were modded. One had blackgates and a bunch of other mods just short of the output stage being done. The other just had the caps shorted and I can't recall the rest of it but it was a minor modding.

ah thanks for the impressions

was wondering how you'd consider the Zhaolu "warm" and now I know it's due to using the CS4398 version

edit: just noticed it was mentioned in the review, but must have missed that

Aug 27, 2007 at 8:14 AM Post #21 of 324
Quote:

Originally Posted by drk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ok, can anyone explain to me why the new beresford has a variable output at the back when it doesn't have line-out volume control?

You kidding us, right? When I adjust the volume control on the front with my headphone removed, the variable LINE output is perfectly controllable. So that round knob on the front does more than just looking round
rolleyes.gif

Aug 27, 2007 at 9:23 AM Post #22 of 324
ok boys, that's great news then!

(no need to fret herandu - i don't even have the beresdord, i'm asking since the variable output would be of great use to me and nobody mentioned this quite important thing in their reviews. and now i'm seriously considering buying the new beresford
wink.gif
)

could anyone PLEASE compare the quality of output between fixed output and variable output? could you also please state what the rest of your system is in that comparison, so we could try to determine how good the variable output on the berseford is.

thanks!

Aug 27, 2007 at 11:54 AM Post #23 of 324
Quote:

Originally Posted by drk /img/forum/go_quote.gif

could anyone PLEASE compare the quality of output between fixed output and variable output? could you also please state what the rest of your system is in that comparison, so we could try to determine how good the variable output on the berseford is.

The fixed output is my preference for connection to my pre-amp. The variable output goes my power amp (which has two inputs that are switchable).
DAC via variable output -> power amp = Extremely detailed and spacious.
DAC via variable ouput -> pre-amp -> power amp is not as good
DAC via fixed output ->pre-amp -> power amp = very good, but the limitations of my pre-amp now show their face.

Aug 27, 2007 at 12:53 PM Post #24 of 324
wow, that's incredible herandu. that would mean that the variable output of the beresford is better than that of a dedicated pre-amp. can you tell which pre-amp it is you have and in which ways the differences you mentioned in your last post are manifested? is it about detail in sound, soundstage or something else?

i'd very much appreciate others' input regarding this question that hasn't been much debated here as well, as ystems and experiences differ
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 27, 2007 at 1:15 PM Post #25 of 324
Ah that's cool so it's like a pre-amp function then. Nice.

Aug 27, 2007 at 11:46 PM Post #26 of 324
I hooked the 7510 into my stereo upstairs. My old Sony 1000ESD Pre-amp lost it's digital input awhile ago and now the 7510 completes that circuit. Sounds much better now. I will mod this unit sometime in the near future and we'll see what happens then.

Aug 28, 2007 at 10:38 AM Post #28 of 324
I just placed an order for one... what with it being "Free Shipping" week at Home-Hifi UK and all. I need a DAC with multiple inputs and outputs to be able to feed both my receiver and my headphone amp.

Spliff, can both outputs be driven from a single input? Say, if I have Coax 1 linked with my Oppo transport, can I put my amp on the variable and a receiver on the line output and have them both driven?

Or am I dreaming?

Aug 28, 2007 at 12:44 PM Post #29 of 324
How can i find out which version of the DAC i have? I bought it around a month ago from Stanley's ebay shop. Also, how long have you burnt yours in for? the headphone amp is making the bass a little boomy on my sennheiser HD497's, is this because it is just too powerful?

Thanks

Hugh

Aug 29, 2007 at 1:36 PM Post #30 of 324
The headphone amp is a little boomy. I suggest getting a mini3 amp at some point if you really want to hear the dac. Email Stanley about what version it is b/c I can't tell either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back