Beresford 7510 MK 6 - initial impressions
Aug 24, 2007 at 1:12 PM Post #47 of 64
It's still burning in but initial impressions are that it is more detailed and neutral than a 2.5C stock or MD-10 yes. It is Taiwan built and Stanley is trying to avoid the Chinese from figuring out how it's made. For the $$ it is impressing me so far.

Aug 24, 2007 at 1:26 PM Post #48 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by Herandu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The TC-7510 is an oversampling DAC. From what I understand, the chip details were erased in order to slow the Chinese down from copying it and selling it even cheaper before it could make a name for itself. It's not marketing: it's a fact of life that Chinese engineers are the biggest exponents of fake goods development.

That still doesn't answer the question about which DAC chip it's based on.

I'd also like to hear a comparision to a Zhaolu 2.5C with the opamps changed to LM4562's and the blocking caps shorted. That is a substantial improvement in sound quality for about $10.

I've Zapfiltered my 2.5C which was a huge step up. The TC-7510 is interesting but not without knowing the technology behind it.

EDIT: I did a little searching and found that it does use Burr Brown DAC's but I was unable to find which ones. If they're 1704's, it would be killer. Other varieties would be less so. Has anyone modded the TC-7510 with a discrete output stage?

Jim

Aug 24, 2007 at 2:01 PM Post #49 of 64
I believe its based upon burr brn 1716 chip.

Beresford TC-7510

- Crystal CS8414 96kHz low jitter digital audio receiver.
- Burr-Brown PCM 1716 24-bit/96kHz sampling CMOS Delta-Sigma D/A chip
- Class A biased 5532 low-noise, dual op amp as found in many sound studio mixing decks to ensure analogue integrity at the output stage
- Independent voltage lines for the analogue and digital parts in order to reduce power line interference.
- Redesigned Black or Champagne coloured metal Chassis
- Comes with a newly designed and impressive 1.7Amp AC/DC adaptor that offers even better audio performance.

Technical Details

* Receiver chip = CRYSTAL CS 8414
* Digital Converter = BURR-BROWN PCM 1716, 96KHz/24 BiT
* Two COAX digital inputs
* Two TOSLINK OPTICAL inputs.
* Frequency Response: 2.0HZ -20KHZ, 10.25dB
* Amplitude Linearity: >1.06d8
* Channel Separation; >I00dB@:1KHZ
* Signal to Noise. Ration: >103dB
* Total Harmonic Distortion: <0.00l5%@ 1kHz
* Phase Linearity: +/-0@;20KHz
* Digital Input: 96kH2; Consumer Standard SPDIIF
* Maximum Jitter (HP): <50 pico seconds RMS, using selected low jitter Crystal
* 0 VA-Sampling Rate: 8:*(352.8-kHZ)
* Resolution Capability: 24bit
* Digital Filter: 82dB

Aug 24, 2007 at 2:03 PM Post #50 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by d-cee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
it's got nothing to do with that, stanley is free to do whatever he wishes by defacing the insides of the 7510

i'm more infuriated by the above claims that it is considered "FACT" that Chinese are incapable of producing something as good as the Beresford, and are not able to develop their own technology.

What on earth kind of statement is that? It doesn't matter what nationality someone is, if someone produces a good product it's a good product, why does race have to become part of this?

The whole Beresford scene doesn't seem right to me. Like some company is secretly producing DAC chips in China and the Beresford secretly unlocked its potential. Now he is hiding the secrets and only selling them on ebay, while rubbing out any informing marks on the chips on the DAC to keep it a super duper secret. All the while this $200 item outperforms anything until hitting the $1000 price range.

Even if it sounds good for $200, I don't buy into this madness.

Aug 24, 2007 at 2:20 PM Post #51 of 64
the irony is that in defending his beloved DAC, Herandu has killed any credibility he had (if any - in my eyes none)

not only is the Beresford a Taiwanese product (Taiwan being part of the republic of China) that are supposed to be incapable of producing anything as good as the 7510 but it's a re-badged, modded product

i have nothing against stanley and his 7510, but geeez, there is an obsessive user on this forum who has lost all sense and is blindly advertising this product

spacemanspliff: i really look forward to your impressions, as a one time owner of a Zhaolu and now the proud owner of a 7510 your review can do a lot of good

to be quite honest, i'm still very interested, but would rather hear a proper review rather than hysterical support without any proper foundation or basis

edit: did you know the Chinese invented the compass, printing presses and movable type? no? but at least they (or a territory falling under their jurisdiction) made the original 7510 DAC

Aug 24, 2007 at 2:23 PM Post #52 of 64
I found this post on AVS with a lot more info. It's not quite as mysterious when you find out who is building them and the technology it's based on.

(paste)
Inside Pics of the Beresford
At http://paulberry.livejournal.com/75357.html you'll find that identifying markings have been scratched off to protect the guilty and obfuscate curious people. But never fear, the unit itself is sourced from http://www.technolink.com.tw/ and I'm sure most of Bereford's design is nothing more than changing the lettering. The unit itself uses a BB PCM1716, which is a very dated design going back 8 or so years. While this doesn't mean it's bad, it's also nothing special.
(End of Paste)

Based on the technology, the TC-7510 is probably more comparable to this: http://www.pacificvalve.us/DIYEDENSV04.html .

Jim

Aug 24, 2007 at 2:47 PM Post #53 of 64
Oh I agree that this product is simply a good budget dac. Just as to where it stands compared to other budget dacs is what I am trying to determine. I have no intention of saying it's a giant slayer unless modding somehow makes it so. Not much chance of that but initial impressions are that yes it is worth $200 to me at least. As to how it stacks up now I can't say yet. I am enjoying it though.

Aug 24, 2007 at 2:52 PM Post #54 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by bowraboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A Taiwan made TEC TC-7510 that's been modified.

If you are so convinced of what you type, why don't you email the Taiwanese company and ask them? Last time I looked there were loads of goods leaving the Far East with European and US brand names printed on them. Welcome to global trade!

Aug 24, 2007 at 4:27 PM Post #55 of 64
Yes, definitely a bit of tangent on this thread...

Relative newby here, just wanting to see what people think of the Beresford
biggrin.gif
. Was thinking of getting it as a first standalone DAC.

Aug 24, 2007 at 5:07 PM Post #56 of 64
The 7510, Zhalou 2.5C or Behringer DEQ2496(if you can find one) I can say will all satisfy anyone for a DAC in the low end price range. I have not heard the Behringer but they make good stuff based on what I heard from the Central Station.

Aug 24, 2007 at 5:50 PM Post #57 of 64
Politics and religion are not allowed anywhere on Head-Fi. And try to stay at least somewhat related to the topic. This is the Dedicated Source Components forum, after all.

Aug 25, 2007 at 12:12 AM Post #58 of 64
Quote:

The headphone amp was a low cost addition to the Beresford from what I understand, and you would have to spend as much on another headamp to the value of the whole DAC just to beat it. That makes it more than decent I would say.
The so called bloated bass in in fact the lower bass frequencies that the headphone amp can re-produce. I listen to reggae and all that sort of stuff with bass going down to DVD frequencies, rather than just the CD 20Hz cut off point. The headphone amp can pick those low frequencies out where other headamps I have tried failed.

Of course. I didn't expect the Beresford built-in to compare to an amp like the Hornet, which is designed to be a class above (and correspondingly more expensive). I wasn't denigrating the price/performance ratio of the built in amp in general. It's decent. But it can't make any of my headphones really dance. I was responding to a question about absolute quality, where the Beresford built-in is clearly less capable than the Hornet. I like the DAC section. The headphone amp section is mediocre. I suppose a fair opponent, in the cheap price range would be something like a CMOY, but I don't have one, so I can't do a proper comparison.

I'm highly skeptical that you can hear sub-20 Hz tones, but I refuse to enter an argument on that point. Glad you like your DAC and built-in amp.

Aug 25, 2007 at 12:17 AM Post #59 of 64
Quote:

If you are so convinced of what you type, why don't you email the Taiwanese company and ask them? Last time I looked there were loads of goods leaving the Far East with European and US brand names printed on them. Welcome to global trade!

So Beresford built a DAC that looks pretty much exactly the same as a TEC. Or is it the other way around?

Aug 25, 2007 at 12:20 AM Post #60 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by drk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@ omega and lostone - the stuff you've just said about beresford's sound in your last posts is regarding only it's headphone amp and headphone out, or the dac in general (through it's speaker outputs as well)?

My signal chain looks like this:

Foobar FLAC > Chaintech AV710 > optical out > Beresford TC7510 mkV > generic RCA-headphone mini interconnect > RSA Hornet (non-M) > Beyerdynamic DT880.

Alternatively, I also tried the built-in amp:
Foobar FLAC > Chaintech AV710 > optical out > Beresford TC7510 mkV > Beyerdynamic DT880.

So headphones only, no speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back