Benefits of balanced outputs on a DAC
Aug 25, 2020 at 9:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Griz145389

New Head-Fier
What are the benefits of using balanced XLR cables to connect a DAC to an amp? I have been trying to research this, and my impression is that XLR cables (in contrast to RCA) would be more durable, carry a signal further without degradation, and allow for different connection options. Am I missing anything? In order to use a balanced output on an amp, does it need a balanced signal coming in?

Aug 25, 2020 at 11:06 AM Post #2 of 4
Balanced connections are used to reject electrical noise. They have a power advantage over unbalanced in normal cases.

If you want the best quality transmission on paper then go balanced. If you don't have an electrically noisy environment you will not notice any difference.

Whether the balanced output on an amp is truly balanced depends on the amp. As far as I know, the THX amps are not balanced although they have XLR out.

Aug 25, 2020 at 12:29 PM Post #4 of 4
I can't see the point of desktop gear needing an A/C adapter. I myself am sick of their schiit :wink:

It has balanced inputs and outputs. I don't know if you get a true balanced output when the input is unbalanced. You would have to ask them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back