Benchmark HPA4 Headphone / Line Amplifier Impressions
Feb 6, 2023 at 4:54 AM Post #1,352 of 1,410
Hi guys, first of all, how great place this is for the music lovers!
I have a question about my HPA4, which has an uniq issue only in the balance menu. The unit has been manufactured in 2018, software version is 2.2.1 and firmware version is 1.0.1.

When I go to the balance menu it looks like this:
first.jpg

balance menu from the official HPA4 documentation should like like this:
unnamed.png

It looks like the graphic elements underneath the R1 and L1 letters are hidden behind, when I try to to change the balance from the screen or with remote, the screen becomes overcrowded with duplicated letters and some parts of the screen becomes unresponsive:
thitd.jpg

fourth.jpg

When I go back to the main screen, it's not showed up correct anymore:
fifth.jpg

Every other menu or settings works just fine, without any other issue, only the balance menu is out of order, also no issues with the unit, amplification if working as expected. I have tried to run the update process a few more times, as Rory from Benchmark suggested, but for now no luck. I'm still trying to get to the bottom of this issue with Benchmark, but maybe some of you guys have the same issue.

I have also noticed from the official HPA4 documentation that the software in running the screen and the firmware is running the rest of the amplifier.
Since the software which is running the screen is stored on a micro sd card, I have replaced the micro sd card with a new one, the old card have had FAT filesystem active, so I have formatted the new one also with FAT filesystem. Then I have copied all the files from the old one and started the updated process again, which was successful, but the issue in the balance menu is still present. Then I have manually removed the balance.4FN file from the micro sd card and replaced it manually from the Benchmark update package (Benchmark_HPA4_LA4_Updater_2.2.1\HPA4\uSD\screens\balance.4FN), because maybe in the update process this file becomes corrupted. I have successfully started the amplifier, but the balance menu is still showing the issue. Everything else is working fine, without any issues.

I think that the balance menu has a some sort of a bug, maybe just in some versions of the HPA4 amplifier, which is messing the balance menu.

Does anyone have similar issues?
My HPA4 is also from 2018 - I wasn't aware there was any software update available?
Was your HPA4 malfunctioning before or after playing around with the SD card?

Feb 6, 2023 at 1:00 PM Post #1,354 of 1,410
I'm a firm believer in you very what you pay for. I'm quite happy with the build quality of the HPA4. It's a solid piece of equipment that is built to last. I use it as both headphone amp and preamp and it works beautifully. I don't have any hands-on experience with the SMSL SP400 but I've read reviews from other forums about it. Some users have commented on the quality issues they've experienced. One person mentioned that the volume knob was scratchy. Also mentioned was a unit that kept turning off on its own.
Smsl sounded lacking in body and quite shouty to my ears ,I prefer a smoother approach.I found it nicely detailed with good attack though ,but just not anything special .It is worth its asking price but certainly not a high end product as many will have you believe

Feb 6, 2023 at 1:14 PM Post #1,355 of 1,410
I've had the HPA4 for a few months now and like it a lot, both as a headphone amp and as a pre-amp. It's got plenty of power, tons of resolution and a neutral presentation with nothing over-emphasized. Maybe the most impressive quality is how it manages to sound smooth and non-fatiguing, even with so much detail being presented. Seriously, the amp just disappears. It is exactly what I'm looking for in a solid state amp.

Feb 6, 2023 at 1:20 PM Post #1,356 of 1,410
I've had the HPA4 for a few months now and like it a lot, both as a headphone amp and as a pre-amp. It's got plenty of power, tons of resolution and a neutral presentation with nothing over-emphasized. Maybe the most impressive quality is how it manages to sound smooth and non-fatiguing, even with so much detail being presented. Seriously, the amp just disappears. It is exactly what I'm looking for in a solid state amp.
I couldn't agree more. I use the HPA4 to power bass-prominent phones like the Kennerton Gjallarhorn GH50 and supremely detailed, spacious RAAL SR-1b. I keep hearing things I have never heard before, especially how instruments are played.

Feb 6, 2023 at 2:01 PM Post #1,357 of 1,410
Yeah, I dig mine, too. These days, I've got a couple of DACs feeding it (Benchmark and Denafrips). I also use it to drive earphones in my home earphone test system.

Feb 6, 2023 at 7:58 PM Post #1,358 of 1,410
Can you please check which software and firmware version are you running?
Issues with the balance menu have started before inserting new SD card, while the unit was at the first owner.

Official update guide is here:
https://benchmarkmedia.com/pages/hpa4-la4-software-update
Thanks for the link to the software update, I had a brief look on the HPA4 page but couldn't find it.
My HPA4 would be from the initial production run in 2018.
I currently have software version 1.02, firmware version 1.01
Mine has been 100% reliable in operation, no software glitches or issues.

The remote balance feature is something I enquired about before purchase in 2018 - I wasn't aware Benchmark had implemented an update allowing this. :thumbsup:
Since my HPA is primarily used as a preamp in my speaker system the larger volume readout would also be useful.

Feb 6, 2023 at 10:43 PM Post #1,359 of 1,410
Throwing caution to the wind I decided to update the software (1.02) on my 2018 HPA4 to the latest 2.2.1
Everything went apparently smoothly with the update process which is fully automated.
I then changed the option to large text.
The volume function appeared to be working as expected with the large readout.
I then went into the balance menu and got overwriting of screen objects similar to what @unicore posted above.
Going back to the main screen my two volume bars had become one - like an LA4 (yes, I did update with the 'h' option in the update menu).
Turning off/on via the front panel button did not fix this!
HPA4_software update.jpg

Removing/replacing the power cord and powering up restored the two volume bars - but using the balance menu corrupted things again requiring power cord removal to restore.

I went through the update process again, but same result.
So there is a problem - at least with upgrading from my 1.02 software version.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2023 at 1:12 AM Post #1,360 of 1,410
@Tobes, I'm sorry to hear that.
Please report to Benchmark ASAP. They sad to me that I need to replace the screen along with a screen firmware, but the screen seams to be fine in our case.
I will also send it to Benchmark and see what to do next. Maybe downgrade if they can send us the old software version.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2023 at 1:16 AM Post #1,361 of 1,410
I have exactly the same problem. It's probably a bug on the older units. The fast solution would be to get the old software version if possible or to patch version 2.2.1.
The another way would be that someone from here that have the software version 1.02 send us the content of the SD card so we can revert.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2023 at 2:50 AM Post #1,362 of 1,410
I have contacted Benchmark with your post @Tobes.
Potentially this is huge, because it can effect any older unit when updating the software version.

Hi Rory,
there is another user with the same issue as mine (reported yesterday), he described his problem with a picture here:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/ben...ne-amplifier-impressions.876705/post-17388984

His initial software version was: 1.02 and firmware: 1.0.1.
There are some issues when upgrading from software version 1.02 to 2.2.1, probably some bug on older versions of the unit, which causing this problem in the balance menu.
Can you please check with your team if there if a bug, when upgrading from software 1.02 to 2.2.1, so maybe we can downgrade our units to version 1.02, which would possibly solve our issue.

Best regards

Feb 7, 2023 at 2:52 AM Post #1,363 of 1,410
@unicore I have emailed Benchmark about the issue referencing this thread.
Both our units around the same build date are behaving the same - so points to a definite issue.

Benchmark are usually pretty fast to fix problems so lets see what @jsiau comes back with.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2023 at 11:13 AM Post #1,364 of 1,410
@unicore I have emailed Benchmark about the issue referencing this thread.
Both our units around the same build date are behaving the same - so points to a definite issue.

Benchmark are usually pretty fast to fix problems so lets see what @jsiau comes back with.
The answer is simple: Firmware 1.0.1 does not support software versions above 1.0.1

These units were manufactured in the first 25 days of production.

All units manufactured after 11/05/2018 should have the current firmware which is 1.0.2

These early 1.0.1 firmware units will need to come in for a free firmware update if you wish to use the large character display function. Firmware cannot be updated in the field.

CORRECTION: The firmware can be updated by installing the following kit (needed for units manufactured before 11/05/2018 only!):
HPA4 Firmware Update Kit

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back