Benchmark HPA4 Headphone / Line Amplifier Impressions
Feb 7, 2023 at 11:22 AM Post #1,366 of 1,410
The answer is simple: Firmware 1.0.1 does not support software versions above 1.0.1

These units were manufactured in the first 25 days of production.

All units manufactured after 11/05/2018 should have the current firmware which is 1.0.2

These early 1.0.1 firmware units will need to come in for a free firmware update if you wish to use the large character display function. Firmware cannot be updated in the field.
Older software should be given to users to downgrade it when they don't need big screen mode but they want to use balance.
Then it's a win win situation with very little hassle from the end user.

Feb 7, 2023 at 11:24 AM Post #1,367 of 1,410
Older software should be given to users to downgrade it when they don't need big screen mode but they want to use balance.
Then it's a win win situation with very little hassle from the end user.
I agree, personally I don't need large characters and if I would need them, I'd like to have functional balance menu first.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2023 at 12:32 PM Post #1,368 of 1,410
This firmware/software problem with early units is exactly why I rarely am an early adopter of new technology and products. I bought my HPA4 in early 2022 and have had no issues so far, so BM has obviously worked the bugs out. Sorry to hear of the travails of owners of the early units.

Feb 7, 2023 at 12:54 PM Post #1,369 of 1,410
Hi John,
so there is no way to downgrade the 1.0.1 firmware units back to the older software version or somehow fix large characters in the balance menu?
If I try to turn off the large characters, the issue is still present.
NOTE the distinction between FIRMWARE and SOFTWARE in this post!

The SOFTWARE is the downloadable screen software and is the first number shown on the "ABOUT" screen.
The FIRMWARE is contained in a ROM on the main board and is the second number shown on the "ABOUT" screen.
Old units (prior to 11/05/2018) have 1.0.1 FIRMWARE. All newer units have 1.0.2 FIRMWARE.

The solution is actually simple:

Units that were made prior to 11/05/2018 can be updated to current 1.0.2 FIRMWARE (not SOFTWARE) by installing a ROM kit:

HPA4 Firmware Update Kit

The cost of the FIRMWARE kit is $59.00 including shipping. If your unit is still under warranty, call Rory or Dan in Sales and they will send you the kit at no charge.

After the FIRMWARE kit is installed, the screen SOFTWARE can be updated to version 2.2.1

For those of you who installed the SOFTWARE without first installing the 1.0.2 FIRMWARE, your unit should start working properly as soon as you install the FIRMWARE chip.

The current SOFTWARE version is 2.2.1 and is available as a download.

The current FIRMWARE version is 1.0.2 and is available as a chip, and is only needed if your unit was manufactured before 11/05/2018. Units manufactured after this date will not need this kit.

Do not attempt to install 2.2.1 SOFTWARE in a unit that has the old 1.0.1 FIRMWARE. If you do, the BALANCE screen will not work.

Version 1.0.2 FIRMWARE should support all future versions of the HPA4 and LA4 SOFTWARE

Feb 7, 2023 at 12:59 PM Post #1,370 of 1,410
Hi John,
so there is no way to downgrade the 1.0.1 firmware units back to the older software version or somehow fix large characters in the balance menu?
If I try to turn off the large characters, the issue is still present.
The firmware can be updated by installing the following kit (needed for units manufactured before 11/05/2018 only!):
HPA4 Firmware Update Kit

The FIRMWARE is like the BIOS in your computer. It rarely needs to be updated. It just supports hardware calls from the SOFTWARE.
The downloadable SOFTWARE adds features and improvements.

There are no known bugs in 1.0.1 or 1.0.2 firmware. Both are 100% stable. 1.0.2 firmware is only necessary if you wish to upgrade the screen software to version 1.0.2 or above.

Version 1.0.2 FIRMWARE was created to support the LA4 line amplifier that was introduced on 11/05/2018. At that point in time, the HPA4 software was modified to support either platform (LA4 or HPA4). The newer dual-platform software is not compatible with the older single platform (HPA4 only) firmware.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2023 at 7:38 PM Post #1,371 of 1,410
The answer is simple: Firmware 1.0.1 does not support software versions above 1.0.1

These units were manufactured in the first 25 days of production.

All units manufactured after 11/05/2018 should have the current firmware which is 1.0.2

These early 1.0.1 firmware units will need to come in for a free firmware update if you wish to use the large character display function. Firmware cannot be updated in the field.

CORRECTION: The firmware can be updated by installing the following kit (needed for units manufactured before 11/05/2018 only!):
HPA4 Firmware Update Kit
Thanks for the speedy solution John, Benchmark is certainly at the top of the pile for customer support.:thumbsup:
I'll be ordering the firmware update kit.
Meanwhile my early run HPA4 still works fine with the updated 2.2.1 software - so long as I don't adjust the balance function. :wink:
I can live with that until the firmware kit arrives.

Feb 7, 2023 at 7:49 PM Post #1,373 of 1,410
I have a Benchmark HPA4 and was interested in replacing the stock AC fuses with audiophile fuses like those from Synergistic Research, QSA, or HiFi Tuning. I have replaced fuses on other electronic units that made a sonic improvement but having difficulty in popping out the little fuse drawer on the back of the HPA4 next to the IEC AC cord connector. Has anyone tried this and is it worth worrying about? Thank you.

Feb 7, 2023 at 10:37 PM Post #1,374 of 1,410
I have a Benchmark HPA4 and was interested in replacing the stock AC fuses with audiophile fuses like those from Synergistic Research, QSA, or HiFi Tuning. I have replaced fuses on other electronic units that made a sonic improvement but having difficulty in popping out the little fuse drawer on the back of the HPA4 next to the IEC AC cord connector. Has anyone tried this and is it worth worrying about? Thank you.
I bet I know what John Siau's answer will be.:wink:
While I haven't experimented with fuses in the HPA4, my own feeling is that if it did change the sound its likely to be of the 'relatively minor and soon forgotten' variety.
Also because its difficult to do a quick A/B comparison there is a strong likelihood that suggestive subjectivity will influence the change (we've all been there).
Then there is the potential issue that some of the exotic fuses may not have proper certification/operation under fault conditions.
Personally I wouldn't bother as the reward is unlikely to outweigh the risk. YMMV.

Feb 8, 2023 at 12:12 PM Post #1,375 of 1,410
I finally was able to remove the little fuseholder from the HPA4 amp that holds the two glass fuses so I ordered two blue QSA fuses. I will report on what sonic differences I find, if any. Thanks.

Feb 8, 2023 at 2:58 PM Post #1,377 of 1,410
Don't waste your time and money with fancy fuses. The AC input feeds an AC/DC converter that provides 12 Vdc to a series of DC/DC converters that provide +/-18 V to the analog circuits. Additional voltages are derived from the 12 Vdc rail to drive the digital logic. There is nothing you can do to the fuses that will have any impact on the quality of the internal supply rails. The HPA4 is very immune to interference from the AC line. Put the savings toward another pair of headphones.

Feb 8, 2023 at 3:05 PM Post #1,378 of 1,410
Don't waste your time and money with fancy fuses. The AC input feeds an AC/DC converter that provides 12 Vdc to a series of DC/DC converters that provide +/-18 V to the analog circuits. Additional voltages are derived from the 12 Vdc rail to drive the digital logic. There is nothing you can do to the fuses that will have any impact on the quality of the internal supply rails. The HPA4 is very immune to interference from the AC line. Put the savings toward another pair of headphones.
OK, thank you for the explanation. I find fuses make a difference in other electronics but perhaps the HPA4 is an exception.

Feb 8, 2023 at 3:11 PM Post #1,379 of 1,410
Traditional class AB power amplifiers typically have unregulated linear power supplies. The length of the power cord and the resistance of the fuses can reduce the maximum output power and increase the THD. In contrast, Benchmark products use regulated switching supplies and these provide excellent isolation from the AC line.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back