Benchmark HPA4 Headphone / Line Amplifier Impressions
Jul 17, 2018 at 9:54 PM Post #91 of 1,410
Here's a pic of a very nice headphone amp (along with yet another AHB2) that arrived today! :)

The noise floor is incredible, and it can handle my HD800's and Focal Utopia's very well with plenty of headroom left. The sound is very punchy and dynamic, but this depends on the recording quality of the track. It is really a 100% transparent headphone amp that must have an incredible slew rate and ultra low noise floor, best in class IMD, etc... I can't wait to see some audio precision measurements (hopefully some are under a real headphone load too). It sounds incredible I think and I don't doubt it will measure very very well. Anyone looking for the upmost realism in playback will love this thing.

Nice. Looking forward to hearing my Utopia's through the HPA4 when it arrives.
Have you been able to assess the differences between the DAC3 DX's headphone amp and the HPA4?

Jul 17, 2018 at 10:02 PM Post #92 of 1,410
Keep in mind that Benchmark is a pro-audio company. Based on measurements, the HPA4 is better than pretty much ever other headphone amplifier on the market. If you like the way certain designs change the sound (for example, I like tube amps), you might find another amp subjectively better, but it is not objectively better. You are unfortunately incorrect in saying that "you get what you pay for" in high-end audio. That is just not how it works, sadly.

The GTI vs Porsche, the Porsche is objectively better. By which I mean, that you can measure the difference you are paying for. That is not true of the 10K, 20K, 30K amps that you feel are better based on price alone.

Spot on.

I'd be interested in comparing the HPA4 to my Pure BiPolar. Though admittedly I am done with dynamic headphone amps at this point.

Jul 18, 2018 at 5:51 AM Post #93 of 1,410
Here's a pic of a very nice headphone amp (along with yet another AHB2) that arrived today! :)

The noise floor is incredible, and it can handle my HD800's and Focal Utopia's very well with plenty of headroom left. The sound is very punchy and dynamic, but this depends on the recording quality of the track. It is really a 100% transparent headphone amp that must have an incredible slew rate and ultra low noise floor, best in class IMD, etc... I can't wait to see some audio precision measurements (hopefully some are under a real headphone load too). It sounds incredible I think and I don't doubt it will measure very very well. Anyone looking for the upmost realism in playback will love this thing.

As a preamp I don't hear any degradation after inserting it between the DAC3 and AHB2 either which is a huge feat. I had an AHB2 in my office before I transferred it to my theater. Very nice to be using my bookshelf speakers again :) I may not ever use the extra XLR balanced inputs (I bought the HPA4 to run my headphones), but they are nice to have. I don't think anyone could go wrong by buying it or trying it out for 30 days. FYI: the screen looks a little washed out in the photo below, but in person it is very vibrant and nice.

Beatiful System!!! Amazing how small the entire audio chain is! As already eluded to, I might just as well get a DAC3. We‘ll see.

Jul 18, 2018 at 7:07 PM Post #94 of 1,410
It's hard to say as I can't match volume (voltage out) between the DAC3 DX and the HPA4. The Utopia's are pretty easy to drive compared to my HD800's, so there may not be as much improvement at loud volumes, but really low volumes sound slightly clearer and more detailed. Both amps sound really transparent and similar to me, so if you liked your DAC3, you'll love your HPA4 :wink:

HD800's: Man they really needed this amp, and after hearing them on the HPA4 I wouldn't want to use a less powerful headphone amp again.
Before if I turned the DAC3 DX all the way up using the HD800's, I still could never get the dynamic slam the Utopia's gave me from the HD800's on the DAC3 DX. Which is why I kept the Utopia's as they sounded better. I was going to sell my HD800's, but I'm glad I didn't now for comparison purposes.

Without a doubt, the HD800's sound much more dynamic now. There is also no way I would turn up the HPA4 all the way like I did sometimes with the DAC3 (for very low volume tracks). The best way to describe the improvement at high volume is that slams on drums sound more real to me. I think I was getting a similar improvement with the Utopia's, but it wasn't as night and day like with the HD800's (presumably since the HD800's are harder to drive). At low volume I think I am hearing more dynamic range, but again one would need to set the volume the same between the two to know for sure.

I really wish I had the LCD-4's I returned to Adorama two years ago... I bet they would sound much better on this amp like the HD800's do. I just didn't have an amp of this caliber to drive them so I don't think I gave them a fair chance.

Going forward, I can see the value in having an end all headphone amp like this if you are going to be swapping headphones a lot and wanting to try some planar or any other hard to drive headphone. Hopefully the LCD-4's don't go half off this black Friday as I really don't need to spend more money on audio gear now!

I can also see value in having the extra balanced analog input if you plan to use it. My bookshelf speakers sound really really good too btw. Not as good as my tri-amped AHB2 5.1 setup crossed to 5 JL Audio subs, but my office setup would satisfy 99.5% of audiophiles and definitely sounds better than what most spend many times more on (like into the solid five figure range). The extra detail and driver control the AHB2 can get out of a speaker even with passive crossovers installed still astonishes me. Still the best available amp at any price if someone is going for the upmost realism and top level performance.

Nice. Looking forward to hearing my Utopia's through the HPA4 when it arrives.
Have you been able to assess the differences between the DAC3 DX's headphone amp and the HPA4?

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2018 at 9:49 PM Post #95 of 1,410
Thanks for the comments.
so if you liked your DAC3, you'll love your HPA4
Since I was purchasing the HPA4 I decided to save some $'s and got the slightly cheaper DAC3L without the HP amp.
I'll be comparing the HPA4 with my Bryston BHA-1 so that should be interesting.
I haven't yet received any shipping info from the Aus importer so looks like I won't be seeing delivery this week.:triportsad:

Jul 20, 2018 at 10:00 AM Post #100 of 1,410
I've been using my HPA4 for about 3 days now (picked it up from UPS on Monday). It was very well-packaged and included all accessories and owner manual. No problem at all setting it up - basically a "plug and play". I did read the manual online before getting the amp, but all the controls on the touch panel are intuitive, so it isn't mandatory that you study the manual beforehand. So far my experience with this amp has been extremely positive. For the record, my source is the Mirus Pro DAC, and my HP is Focal Utopia/Danacable Lazuli Ref (xlr). I have also owned these amps: Headamp GSX MkII, Pass HPA-1. Of course, both of them are extremely good, but having listened to the Benchmark for several days, I honestly believe it betters these other 2 amps -- possibly not by a large margin, but enough that I haven't felt the need to go back. What has particularly impressed me so far is the extreme quietness, resolving ability, transparency and lack of distortion in the HPA4. Of the other 2 amps mentioned, I think the HPA4 comes closest to the GSX MkII, especially in terms of transparency, although I think the HPA4 does sound a little better (at least to my ears). Since I no longer have the GSX MkII, I'm relying on my auditory memory for this comparison. On the other hand, the HPA4 seems definitely more transparent and less "colored" compared to the Pass - which I still have and could directly compare with the HPA4. I now feel that the Pass sounds a bit too warm for my taste. Not to say that the Pass is not a good amp (which it definitely is) -- and many people may prefer a warmer tube-like sound, depending on the source. If you already have a GSX MkII, it may not be worth moving to the HPA4, which could be considered a lateral move, at least in terms of sound quality. The HPA4 has a smaller footprint, a better stepped attenuator, and a few other features that may lean one to favor the HPA4 over the GSX.

My bottom line -- the HPA4 is every bit the reference HP amp that Benchmark has claimed it should be. This amp is definitely the real thing and is no hype Benchmark has scored a true home run with this product. I can't claim that it is the very best or ultimate headphone amp, and would have to defer any opinions to professional reviewers who are able to make comparisons with other amps. Likewise I was not able to evaluate the HPA4's performance as a pre-amp, since I only have a headphone based system.

Jul 20, 2018 at 10:08 AM Post #101 of 1,410
I've been using my HPA4 for about 3 days now (picked it up from UPS on Monday). It was very well-packaged and included all accessories and owner manual. No problem at all setting it up - basically a "plug and play". I did read the manual online before getting the amp, but all the controls on the touch panel are intuitive, so it isn't mandatory that you study the manual beforehand. So far my experience with this amp has been extremely positive. For the record, my source is the Mirus Pro DAC, and my HP is Focal Utopia/Danacable Lazuli Ref (xlr). I have also owned these amps: Headamp GSX MkII, Pass HPA-1. Of course, both of them are extremely good, but having listened to the Benchmark for several days, I honestly believe it betters these other 2 amps -- possibly not by a large margin, but enough that I haven't felt the need to go back. What has particularly impressed me so far is the extreme quietness, resolving ability, transparency and lack of distortion in the HPA4. Of the other 2 amps mentioned, I think the HPA4 comes closest to the GSX MkII, especially in terms of transparency, although I think the HPA4 does sound a little better (at least to my ears). Since I no longer have the GSX MkII, I'm relying on my auditory memory for this comparison. On the other hand, the HPA4 seems definitely more transparent and less "colored" compared to the Pass - which I still have and could directly compare with the HPA4. I now feel that the Pass sounds a bit too warm for my taste. Not to say that the Pass is not a good amp (which it definitely is) -- and many people may prefer a warmer tube-like sound, depending on the source. If you already have a GSX MkII, it may not be worth moving to the HPA4, which could be considered a lateral move, at least in terms of sound quality. The HPA4 has a smaller footprint, a better stepped attenuator, and a few other features that may lean one to favor the HPA4 over the GSX.

My bottom line -- the HPA4 is every bit the reference HP amp that Benchmark has claimed it should be. This amp is definitely the real thing and is no hype Benchmark has scored a true home run with this product. I can't claim that it is the very best or ultimate headphone amp, and would have to defer any opinions to professional reviewers who are able to make comparisons with other amps. Likewise I was not able to evaluate the HPA4's performance as a pre-amp, since I only have a headphone based system.

Thanks for the feedback, it's rare that someone can compare it to two other top tier amps like the Pass Labs HPA-1 and HeadAmp GS-X Mk2.

Jul 20, 2018 at 11:33 AM Post #102 of 1,410

Thank you for the nice review!

I understand that the headphone amp of the HPA4 is comparable to the GS-X Mk2. I would like to use the HPA4 as a preamp exclusively. I have my doubts regarding the preamp function of the GSX Mk-2, although I am not absolutely sure. In any case the HPA4 will free the GSX-Mk2 for headphone use exclusively. For that, The GSX-Mk2 is fantastic!

Jul 24, 2018 at 2:08 AM Post #103 of 1,410
HPA4 provided huge improvements over Dave alone. But the price tag really bothers me so I bought a used Lau which is $500 cheaper. Hope one day someone decides to sell his beloved hpa4 so I could buy it $600 cheaper.

Jul 24, 2018 at 6:46 AM Post #104 of 1,410
HPA4 provided huge improvements over Dave alone. But the price tag really bothers me so I bought a used Lau which is $500 cheaper. Hope one day someone decides to sell his beloved hpa4 so I could buy it $600 cheaper.

Must be a pretty big downgrade. Below the $3k mark I would go with a Mjolnir Audio Pure BiPolar.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back