Benchmark HPA4 Headphone / Line Amplifier Impressions
Nov 9, 2020 at 1:04 PM Post #901 of 1,410
Nov 9, 2020 at 1:31 PM Post #902 of 1,410
We had the HE-1000 v2 and the HE-6 with us over the weekend and if the susvara is anything like these, you'll want to be away from the hpa4 as much as possible. Not a sympatico pair at all.
The LCD4 was a different story though. Very good synergy. But still, that was perhaps the only headphone everyone liked with the HPA4 apart from the Verite closed (which was surprising).

The HPA4 is just no no with all four figure sennheisers, Ether C flows, most hifiman flagships and the AKG K812 PRO. That's a recipe for ear bleed.

Yep, that's the only conclusion you can draw. If the bright headphones sound too bright, it's obviously the fault of the extremely neutral amp with flawless measurements.

Nov 9, 2020 at 1:54 PM Post #903 of 1,410
Yep, that's the only conclusion you can draw. If the bright headphones sound too bright, it's obviously the fault of the extremely neutral amp with flawless measurements.
Yes! Bass gives foundation to the sound and majority of open headphones gonna lack that. Its like some guys complain why their bookself speakers dont have much bass? Bad amp i guess?

Nov 9, 2020 at 2:16 PM Post #905 of 1,410
Since this is a headphone site I am not sure how many of you use the HPA4 as a stereo preamp. I do and just bought some classic Thiel CS3.7 for my office where the HPA4 resides. The HPA4 is as good a preamp as it is a headphone amp. Just incredible.

Not all rainbows and unicorns with my setup though. The Benchmark AHB2 amp that I have (and will keep) is not powerful enough at 2 Ohms for my new speakers. However, I know that whatever new amp I get will be the sound I hear because the HPA4 will not colorize it.

The volume control on this unit is also incredible.

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2020 at 2:21 PM Post #906 of 1,410
When I made the upgrade from V281 to HPA4 I hadn't replaced anything else in the system, which consisted of Metrum dacs and Pioneer SE Master1 headphones. I immediately felt the difference. Unfortunately, when they say "tending to warm" when listening, you realize that the sound is not very clear and when you turn up the volume you notice it immediately. This is not the case with HPA4. Now I'm realizing that the weak link in my system, after I sold the Pioneer and bought the Abyss, has become the dac.
In my opinion if the HPA4 brings too bright sound I would focus more on the source or RF interference.
Ohh. I thought you found distortions in the measurements. But I guess you're referring to your observations.
I'll try my best to find a v281 that I can measure and listen to for a week or two; to draw my own conclusion.
Seriously, since the HPA4 I can't tell you the importance of auditioning stuff before buying. I came so close to spending the money just based on word of mouth.

Nov 9, 2020 at 2:24 PM Post #907 of 1,410
That's sugar coating what is ultimately a sterile sound.
Anyway, for those enjoying their HPA4 I'm really happy for you guys. I think this thing is just not for me. I'll give it one more week to see if it grows on me. Otherwise the hunt continues.

I have no doubt that you found the sound sterile, nor do I think I would find any different. Because that is, after all, the predictable outcome of pairing sterile sounding headphones with a neutral amp. But, what you are describing is a product of your personal taste, not a fault of the amp. No less valid as an opinion, but let's call a spade a spade here.

Nov 9, 2020 at 2:42 PM Post #908 of 1,410
Since this is a headphone site I am not sure how many of you use the HPA4 as a stereo preamp. I do and just bought some classic Thiel CS3.7 for my office where the HPA4 resides. The HPA4 is as good a preamp as it is a headphone amp. Just incredible.

Not all rainbows and unicorns with my setup though. The Benchmark AHB2 amp that I have (and will keep) is not powerful enough at 2 Ohms for my new speakers. However, I know that whatever new amp I get will be the sound I hear because the HPA4 will not colorize it.

The volume control on this unit is also incredible.
What's better than AHB2? Two AHB2s in mono :wink:

Nov 9, 2020 at 2:46 PM Post #909 of 1,410
The one thing that stands out for me is the bass reproduction. The depth, control, layering is unmatched. I had he6se(modded) & now I have susvara for home demo. I don't think hpa4 is harsh, bright.On the contrary, the treble performance is the smoothest/refined(extended).Stock He6 or he6se are by default bright/harsh. After trying mid- high end totl planar I think susvara is the most refined. Even Abyss TC sounds excellent.
Source matters a lot. If something is not sounding right it could be due to some fault in upstream components.
Nowadays, I primarily use hpa4 as preamp to Jot R/SR1A & speakers. I think not many people have tested the preamp capabilities. The preamp on hpa4 costs 2.6k$ :). We are comparing only the hp features & missing the big picture.Btw, I like ATC signature very much & plan to try Actives & twin 18inch sub someday with hpa4 at centre.

Nov 9, 2020 at 2:51 PM Post #910 of 1,410
What's better than AHB2? Two AHB2s in mono :wink:

Mono's won't work with this very power hungry speaker (likes to play in 2 Ohms region a lot). I learned about the mismatch of the mono's with the CS3.7 from the amp designer. Only the stereo AHB2 will work with this particular model but I find it lacking grunt with a lot of the music I listen too. On some more mellow music it is awesome. I am getting a CODA #8 to complement the AHB2. I will use one or the other depending on the mood.

I was not planning to buy the CS3.7. It was a surprise buy. My other option would have worked well with 2 AHB2's

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2020 at 2:54 PM Post #911 of 1,410
The one thing that stands out for me is the bass reproduction. The depth, control, layering is unmatched. I had he6se(modded) & now I have susvara for home demo. I don't think hpa4 is harsh, bright.On the contrary, the treble performance is the smoothest/refined(extended).Stock He6 or he6se are by default bright/harsh. After trying mid- high end totl planar I think susvara is the most refined. Even Abyss TC sounds excellent.
Source matters a lot. If something is not sounding right it could be due to some fault in upstream components.
Nowadays, I primarily use hpa4 as preamp to Jot R/SR1A & speakers. I think not many people have tested the preamp capabilities. The preamp on hpa4 costs 2.6k$ :). We are comparing only the hp features & missing the big picture.Btw, I like ATC signature very much & plan to try Actives & twin 18inch sub someday with hpa4 at centre.

The headphone part leverages the volume control and the silence so it is a big part of the $2,600 cost.

Nov 9, 2020 at 3:07 PM Post #913 of 1,410
I haven't been using my stereo system that much these days but I'll definitely give it a try before I send this back.

Nov 9, 2020 at 3:09 PM Post #914 of 1,410
I haven't been using my stereo system that much these days but I'll definitely give it a try before I send this back.

Preamp Balanced XLR is the way to go if your system supports it. It is a big difference in the sonic results. Something Benchmark also claims on their website.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back