Benchmark HPA4 Headphone / Line Amplifier Impressions
Jun 21, 2018 at 6:01 AM Post #32 of 1,410
I can't wait for this thing to be shipped. Thanks for the update. Glad I'm on the east coast so I'll get mine very quickly :wink:

Mine has got to make it down to Austalia and then be shipped on to me by the importer. Intrrnational orders might be back of the queue as well.
So I'm not that optimistic of a speedy delivery.:triportsad:

Jun 21, 2018 at 6:45 AM Post #33 of 1,410
Mine has got to make it down to Austalia and then be shipped on to me by the importer. Intrrnational orders might be back of the queue as well.
So I'm not that optimistic of a speedy delivery.:triportsad:

I am also not so optimistic that the HPA4 will be available this quickly, regardless in what corner of the world it needs to be shipped. If production ramps up now, QC and all that has to kick in.

I hope by late summer, the first impressions will be available. It does look extremely attractive, I must say! As I am only interested in using it as a pre-amp, I am also looking into alternatives. One pre-amp I am also attracted to is NAD's M12. An entirely different beast, but entirely future-proof. Also, it would greatly simplify my set-up. For the moment, at least in my mind, the race rages between the HPA4 and the M12 :)

Jun 21, 2018 at 9:46 PM Post #35 of 1,410
S/N ratio is very important to me, but it also depends what else you have in your chain.

That NAD has >0.005% THD for preamp 2V out. The HPA4 says it has a THD of .00006% at full load on the outputs. That's about a 40dB improvement in dynamic range, but if you hear all that improvement depends on the rest of your system, masking from your room's noise floor, etc...

https://benchmarkmedia.com/blogs/ap...preting-thd-measurements-think-db-not-percent

I know the NAD costs less overall as you get digital inputs (versus buying a DAC3 also), but these measurements are not in the same league. If you can wait for the HPA4 and buy a used Benchmark DAC2 for $800-900, you'd have a really nice end-game system.

I am also not so optimistic that the HPA4 will be available this quickly, regardless in what corner of the world it needs to be shipped. If production ramps up now, QC and all that has to kick in.

I hope by late summer, the first impressions will be available. It does look extremely attractive, I must say! As I am only interested in using it as a pre-amp, I am also looking into alternatives. One pre-amp I am also attracted to is NAD's M12. An entirely different beast, but entirely future-proof. Also, it would greatly simplify my set-up. For the moment, at least in my mind, the race rages between the HPA4 and the M12 :)

Jun 22, 2018 at 1:13 AM Post #36 of 1,410
S/N ratio is very important to me, but it also depends what else you have in your chain.

That NAD has >0.005% THD for preamp 2V out. The HPA4 says it has a THD of .00006% at full load on the outputs. That's about a 40dB improvement in dynamic range, but if you hear all that improvement depends on the rest of your system, masking from your room's noise floor, etc...

https://benchmarkmedia.com/blogs/ap...preting-thd-measurements-think-db-not-percent

I know the NAD costs less overall as you get digital inputs (versus buying a DAC3 also), but these measurements are not in the same league. If you can wait for the HPA4 and buy a used Benchmark DAC2 for $800-900, you'd have a really nice end-game system.

Thanks for putting my head straight again!!! Of course, you are absolutely right concerning the THD measurements that puts the Benchmark to a league on its own. So Benchmark HPA4 it will be then :):):). I'm not in a rush, as I've planned a new pre-amp for end of summer. I guess till then, the HPA4 will be available.

But you brought up another important point, and that's the upstream DAC. I have the Aqua La Voce S2 that claims a THD+N of <0.1%/1 kHz/-20 dB. I guess the Benchmark DAC3 has better values in that respect? Myself not being into electronics, it's a bit hard for me to compare the technical specifications. But when it turns out that the DAC3 has much better specifications, I have no hesitation whatsoever to replace my current DAC. Looks like I am more and mor leaning towards Benchmark!

Jun 23, 2018 at 3:19 AM Post #37 of 1,410
Jun 26, 2018 at 10:18 PM Post #39 of 1,410
Thanks for the update.
I wonder if that's an optimistic or pessimistic "2-3" weeks(?).
Did they happen to mention when the manual might get linked on the web site?.......maybe that's contributing to the hold-up, i.e. they haven't written it yet?

Jun 27, 2018 at 1:49 AM Post #40 of 1,410
Thanks for the update.
I wonder if that's an optimistic or pessimistic "2-3" weeks(?).
Did they happen to mention when the manual might get linked on the web site?.......maybe that's contributing to the hold-up, i.e. they haven't written it yet?

Based on their website that shipping starts June and that it‘s already end of June, the 2-3 weeks will for sure translate into shipping starting in August. Writing a manual for a company like Benchmark should be no problem at all, that‘s the last that should hold up production. If they start shipping in August, that would be perfect for me. I have an audition of the ATC P1 power amp scheduled around that time. Would be wonderful if I could take an HPA4 with me to test its preamp!

Jun 27, 2018 at 10:07 AM Post #41 of 1,410
Yeah, late July/early August is looking like the earliest shipping. My retailer in Aus requested full payment for my HPA-4/DAC3L - which I wasn't fussed about when Benchmark advised me shipping was 3rd week of June - but now I'm A$7K out of pocket and looking at another month wait. Kinda sucks.:triportsad:
I wouldn't trivialize the writing of the manual. This is a new product with new features and Benchmark manuals tend to be pretty thorough - even the AHB2 amp manual is 42 pages, though some generic/warranty etc. I suspect it may be a work in progress because they haven't linked it on the web site.

Jun 27, 2018 at 3:34 PM Post #42 of 1,410
Yeah, late July/early August is looking like the earliest shipping. My retailer in Aus requested full payment for my HPA-4/DAC3L - which I wasn't fussed about when Benchmark advised me shipping was 3rd week of June - but now I'm A$7K out of pocket and looking at another month wait. Kinda sucks.:triportsad:
I wouldn't trivialize the writing of the manual. This is a new product with new features and Benchmark manuals tend to be pretty thorough - even the AHB2 amp manual is 42 pages, though some generic/warranty etc. I suspect it may be a work in progress because they haven't linked it on the web site.

Ouch, spending 6K USD and having to wait this long is dreadful! For sure the DAC3L should‘ve been delivered, should it not, as the DAC is available?

Surely, I do not trivialise the writing of a manual! I was just thinking of my own courses/manuals I wrote for the students: it pretty soon becomes routine. But I totally agree that Benchmark‘s manuals are exceptionally detailed and thorough.

I‘ll be curious about your experience combining the DAC3L with the HPA4, and for that matter, the AHB2. You‘ll go completely Benchmark! Impressive!

I made up my mind: first thing will be the replacement of my GS-X Mk2 with the HPA4. Then I‘ll audition, as already said, the ATC P1 power amplifier, if possible with the HPA4 in the audio chain. After that I‘ll think about upgrading my DAC. It‘ll be an interesting summer!

Jun 27, 2018 at 3:52 PM Post #44 of 1,410
As a content GS-X Mk2 user, I'd (nevertheless) love to hear how the two compare in terms of their headphone output.

:)

I love the GS-X Mk2 as a headphone amp, absolutely stunning! As a preamp it is too noisy, sadly! But of course I‘ll compare the two with my HD800 phones and post for sure my impressions. I will keep the GS-X most definitely for use as a dedicated headphone amp, won‘t let it go!!!

Jun 27, 2018 at 5:31 PM Post #45 of 1,410
Ouch, spending 6K USD and having to wait this long is dreadful! For sure the DAC3L should‘ve been delivered, should it not, as the DAC is available?
The DAC3L was an order-in item as well, not sure if the importer has stipulated to Benchmark to ship as available or when both items are ready.
Since there is now the expected delay with the HPA4 I might contact them and ask.

Edit: Coincidentally, I was contacted by my dealer today and advised of the the delay with the HPA4. My dealer actually said my order would be shipping soon and I should have it in a couple of weeks. He seemed to think that would be the HPA4 and DAC3L. I won't get too excited because it's possible there was some miscommunication from Benchmark>Importer>dealer, but it sounded encouraging.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back