Benchmark DAC3 HGC (w/ ESS Sabre 9028PRO)
Oct 24, 2019 at 12:15 PM Post #241 of 329
I agree, the benchmarks have been just accurate in my books. That's why I've been a customer over the last decade starting with the plain dac1 and I will a customer going forward.

I've had my DAC3 B for a few weeks now and this is exactly why I purchased it. I've been extremely happy with it so far, and in my opinion pairs extremely well with the Headamp GS-X Mk2. Wire with tons of gain. I understand many feel it's "bright", but I would just refer to it as brutally honest. Either your headphones sound that way, or the recording ain't great.

Oct 24, 2019 at 12:29 PM Post #242 of 329
I've had my DAC3 B for a few weeks now and this is exactly why I purchased it. I've been extremely happy with it so far, and in my opinion pairs extremely well with the Headamp GS-X Mk2. Wire with tons of gain. I understand many feel it's "bright", but I would just refer to it as brutally honest. Either your headphones sound that way, or the recording ain't great.

I presume you're a fellow Tool fan?

Your setup is good for metal? What headphones?

Oct 24, 2019 at 12:36 PM Post #243 of 329
Dac3 a good dac of used with ahb2 in low or medium gain mode but with integrated amps, chord qutest is better option at much lower price . With ahb2 chord Hugo 2 has also edge over dac 3 even with rca out.

Oct 24, 2019 at 12:44 PM Post #244 of 329
I presume you're a fellow Tool fan?

Your setup is good for metal? What headphones?
Very much so, since the mid 90's. Long time fan of the HD650's, but recently I've grown to enjoy the T1 2nd Gen's and LCD-2C's. The T1's are very good with the new album, where there's a bit more space between instruments and more intricate details to pick out, most notably the synthesizers and bass guitar. LCD-2C's are good for a few songs at louder volume, but I enjoy the T1's a bit more for listening at lower volume levels. I'm interested in trying out the Aeon Flow C's, as well.

Oct 24, 2019 at 12:56 PM Post #245 of 329
Very much so, since the mid 90's. Long time fan of the HD650's, but recently I've grown to enjoy the T1 2nd Gen's and LCD-2C's. The T1's are very good with the new album, where there's a bit more space between instruments and more intricate details to pick out, most notably the synthesizers and bass guitar. LCD-2C's are good for a few songs at louder volume, but I enjoy the T1's a bit more for listening at lower volume levels. I'm interested in trying out the Aeon Flow C's, as well.

Currently using HD820 and a few others, but I really like how these sound. The new album is a great sonic experience for sure.

Nov 5, 2019 at 5:45 AM Post #246 of 329
Great post.

Nov 9, 2019 at 12:14 PM Post #247 of 329
Been using DAC3-B (not HGC) with HPA4 and THX 789 and my Sennheiser HDV820. To my surprise (and delight), the DAC3 does sound better than the built-in DAC in the HDV820. It does bring out previously hidden details in my music. Subtle reverbs, echos, FX, background noises, etc. And music depth, punch, and control are slightly enhanced. The only real comparison I can make between before/after is with the HDV820 though. Using its built-in DAC vs using the DAC3 and running XLR out to the HDV820. Headphones are Empyrean and HD820 running XLR4 cables.

I went with the DAC3-B over the HGC because I don't need the built-in amp. That said, the B version has no external volume control. You have to open it up and adjust the internal pads (0dB, -10dB, -20dB) for use with different amps. So it's hard to really compare downstream amps quickly. For use with HPA4, it's at factory default of 0dB. But for use with other headphone amps, like the THX 789, you have to set them to either -10 or -20. Right now, -10 seems to work. But Benchmark recommends setting the DAC's output level such that your headphone amp reaches comfortable listening volume at close to its maximum setting on the volume knob. I suppose this is because volume controls don't "amplify" the volume as you turn them up, they simply attenuate the signal less. And Benchmark says amps are at their ideal performance when they're at or close to their unity gain of 0dB attenuation, which is basically maxed out on the volume control. That said, the THX 789 has three gain settings and there are a lot of combinations to mess with to figure out what sounds best. With the DAC3-B set to -10dB and the THX 789 on Gain I, I listen with the volume control at about 11:00 - 1:00. Nowhere near maxed out. If I set DAC3-B to -20dB, however, I would be able to push the 789's volume higher obviously—thus taking the attenuator control further out of the signal path. But the DAC3's output voltage at -20dB is something like 1.5v. And I think most headphone amps want to see 4v input? Not sure.

Anyway, the DAC sounds good. I'm keeping it for sure. Or I might swap it out for the DAC3-L, which has an external level control to make it easier to swap between devices and A/B different amps.

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2019 at 8:59 PM Post #248 of 329
Interesting, I have yet to change the internal pads from the stock setting. With my T1's on the medium gain setting of my GS-X, I'm usually listening around at 11:00. I also have plenty of headroom with the WA22, so I suppose I could switch the jumpers to -10dB. I'm extremely happy with this DAC though. Incredibly clean sound, I've never heard my T1's sound so impactful and accurate (GS-X Mk2 is to blame here too!). I also have a hard time figuring out why a lot of people dislike the Aeon Flow C's. When paired with the GS-X, they sound very nice. I suppose the 13 ohm impedance gives some the idea they don't require a lot of power to be driven properly?

Nov 9, 2019 at 9:33 PM Post #250 of 329
Interesting, I have yet to change the internal pads from the stock setting. With my T1's on the medium gain setting of my GS-X, I'm usually listening around at 11:00. I also have plenty of headroom with the WA22, so I suppose I could switch the jumpers to -10dB. I'm extremely happy with this DAC though. Incredibly clean sound, I've never heard my T1's sound so impactful and accurate (GS-X Mk2 is to blame here too!). I also have a hard time figuring out why a lot of people dislike the Aeon Flow C's. When paired with the GS-X, they sound very nice. I suppose the 13 ohm impedance gives some the idea they don't require a lot of power to be driven properly?
I had switched my dac 1 and 2 to the -10db setting a long time ago and it works well.

Nov 24, 2019 at 6:00 PM Post #251 of 329
Felt compelled to post this evening after listening to the DAC3-DX with my Sennheiser HD800S headphones. The audio quality is sublime! A-B'ed to my Bottlehead Mainline, I prefer the Benchmark. Space is greater with the Mainline, but resolution and sense of real-ness is, well, real with the Benchmark. I had been thinking about selling the HD800S. Now, not so sure. So, for me, the pairings are these:

- DAC3-DX > Mainline > Focal Clear
- DAC3-DX > Bottlehead Crack/Speedball > ZMF Auteur Teak
- Benchmark DAC3-DX > HD800S

In all cases, streaming AIFF-ripped or better files from Synology NAS to iMac Pro and playing back via Audirvana 3.5.

Best,

Joe.

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2019 at 11:01 AM Post #254 of 329
Has anyone done a comparison with the Benchmark DAC3 and the Sennheiser HDV 820? I wish there was somewhere in the Northeast (incl. NY and PA) that I could sample both.

I have. HDV820, DAC3-B, HPA4, Aune S7 Pro, THX 789, and a few others. The DAC3-B is a nice DAC. The HDV820 is a decent amp. Running the DAC3 into the HDV820 instead of using its internal DAC... there is a slight difference. Maybe everything is a little clearer and slightly more separated.

That said... if you are thinking about buying the HDV820 and DAC3, you might as well splurge for the DAC3-B and HPA4 and call it a day. HPA4 is a killer amp.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back