Benchmark DAC1 now available with USB
Sep 23, 2009 at 12:40 PM Post #2,716 of 3,058
Quote:

Originally Posted by wavoman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Will I need the cover off? Grounding wrist-strap?

No and no. Not for this. Just a small screwdriver to turn the pots, a test-tone, and a volt meter.

I'll post the test-tone today.

atb,
e

Sep 23, 2009 at 4:18 PM Post #2,717 of 3,058
Regarding active speakers, there are a number of different "decor-friendly" models available at different price points. I haven't listened to them, so I can't say which ones I recommend. But here are a few brands to check out:

Dynaudio, Quad, ATC, Salagar, Meredian

All the best,
Elias

Sep 24, 2009 at 1:10 AM Post #2,718 of 3,058
In case no one remembers me, I was the one a couple of months ago had some issues with crackling noise with my USB DAC1.

After almost TWO months of trying to figure out what was causing this crackling noise with my USB DAC1, I finally nailed the culprit.

Guess what, with Vista, I had to enable Vista aero interface, in order to get crackling free sound from my USB DAC1. If I choose any other theme other than Vista aero, I get the crackling noise. Simple as that. And I found out about this AFTER replacing the entire motherboard, graphics card, hard drive, RAM, LCD inverter, etc.

Man, some combination of driver, my computer hardware, and Vista must be the cause of this conflict.

But I am glad it's all sorted out. I am really liking the sound.

Sep 24, 2009 at 2:44 PM Post #2,719 of 3,058
Quote:

Originally Posted by denonfan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In case no one remembers me, I was the one a couple of months ago had some issues with crackling noise with my USB DAC1.

After almost TWO months of trying to figure out what was causing this crackling noise with my USB DAC1, I finally nailed the culprit.

Guess what, with Vista, I had to enable Vista aero interface, in order to get crackling free sound from my USB DAC1. If I choose any other theme other than Vista aero, I get the crackling noise. Simple as that. And I found out about this AFTER replacing the entire motherboard, graphics card, hard drive, RAM, LCD inverter, etc.

Man, some combination of driver, my computer hardware, and Vista must be the cause of this conflict.

But I am glad it's all sorted out. I am really liking the sound.

Bizarre...but I'm glad you found the culprit!! Enjoy!

All the best,
Elias

Sep 24, 2009 at 3:55 PM Post #2,720 of 3,058
Sep 24, 2009 at 10:27 PM Post #2,721 of 3,058
Quote:

Originally Posted by EliasGwinn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Another manufacturer of AMAZING active monitors that are also asthetically pleasing...

Focal Especially the Twin6 (<$3200/pair), but I'd guess their less expensive models are great too.

Good one! They are a keeper for sure. Unbeatable value - where else can you get a passive speaker as well as 400 WATTS of amplification for that combined price new!
beerchug.gif
(Not to mention Active designs are superior with less IMD, better crossover design and better phase/impulse response)

Personally, I find the metal tweets a bit splashy or in your face but that is just me, and at that price point, the Twin6 is a Home Run!

Sep 24, 2009 at 11:18 PM Post #2,722 of 3,058
Hey Elias (and gang),

I will definitely have to try those Focals - thanks for the reference! May I ask again please: With active speakers, does the previous advice that one's regular listening levels should reach up to around 3:00 on the DAC1 volume dial, still hold?

Also, is anybody aware of ANY standalone solidstate stereo amp such as Elias describes for me - i.e. has anybody ever seen one that (for SNR reasons) doesn't utilize resistors/pots/input-transformers at its inputs, has an input sensitivity just under 3 volts (rms), and outputs only up to about 100 watts? All that I've found, have input sensitivities *much* lower than that.

I would really like to try Elias' advice - if this is actually possible!
wink.gif

Sep 25, 2009 at 3:13 AM Post #2,723 of 3,058
Quote:

Originally Posted by G-U-E-S-T /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey Elias (and gang),

I will definitely have to try those Focals - thanks for the reference! May I ask again please: With active speakers, does the previous advice that one's regular listening levels should reach up to around 3:00 on the DAC1 volume dial, still hold?

The Focal Twin 6 Active have an adjustment for input sensitivity so you can connect up pro audio levels +4 dbU (1.2 volts) versus consumer RCA which uses as reference -10 dbV (.3 volts). If you set the Focals at pro levels you will naturally have the volume setting higher on whatever preamp you use.

Frankly I would not worry too much about amp input attenuation resistors that are switched in - a potentiometer is more of a worry but on a good quality product all it means is that L and R level matching might not be perfect unless you measure with a precision microphone. (pros will care about this but consumers need not worry)

Noise from a resistor attenuator in a good product will be several orders of magnitude lower than electronics. I think the point is to keep the signal level reasonably high in electronics and interconnect cabling.

FWIW: You can agonize over this but unless you have a speaker capable of 120 db SPL then you are NEVER going to get full dynamic range from your system - the noise floor in most quiet places is around 30 db spl so if peaks are 120 db SPL (limit of human hearing) then that gives you 90 db dynamic range or basically as much as is on the handful of near perfectly recorded CD's that might exist (although the room reverb may limit your practical dynamic range on certain busy kinds of music as it high spl's will overload the room). If you play soft music at max 70 db spl peaks then your dynamic range is limited to 40 db SPL in a great space (although your brain/ear can work out some sustained notes at mid range frequencies below the noise floor). In any case you will be in luck because most modern music is compressed heavily and you are lucky to get more than even 10 db dynamic range on many pop CD's...google loudness wars if you don't believe the recording industry would be so insane as to develop a media (redbook CD) with 96 db dynamic range and then squash all the music they offer into a few bits (10 db)...it is maddening but that is what artists demand and recording engineers do.

Sep 25, 2009 at 4:42 AM Post #2,724 of 3,058
I'm considering the Stello DA100, Benchmark DAC1, and Bel Canto DAC3 for a new DAC. The Stellos~$700, DAC1's ~$1K, and Bel Canto~$2K. I know it's a wide range, but I want something that has a good price-vs-performance ratio, as well as something I can use as a stepping stone to high-end gear (which pretty much means it'll last me a couple of yrs..)

Any advice? It's going to be used with Energy RC-10 bookshelves (and a possible Dynaudio upgrade), as well as with high-end headphones (either D7000 or HD800, in the future)

Sep 25, 2009 at 7:20 AM Post #2,725 of 3,058
the dac1 is the more interchangeable system imo, i mean in the fact that it has far more ins and outs and analogue connections than most other dacs on the market no matter what their pricepoint!

from that point of view, the dac1 has been the one remaining, original bit of kit i have not sold or traded - for me that speaks volumes, no pun intended.

i also feel its the most customisable unit, numerous times, have i been able to change jumpers and gain to match with whatever headphone or equipment was passsing through, and as you mention it, if its price performance ratio and a keeper you are after, i cant recommend the dac1 range enough, i have the pre model to be specific.

Sep 26, 2009 at 12:49 PM Post #2,726 of 3,058
elias, kind of a trivial question...

after the dac1 pre has been powered off (unpluged from mains) and then with reconnection to the power it defaults to the analog input (shown via the blue led on front panel)

is there any way to change this default?, is there a jumper or similar, ideally would prefer it to come onto my main source which is USB

thanks

Sep 28, 2009 at 9:29 PM Post #2,727 of 3,058
Anyone impressions on how the HD800 is driven by the HPA2 circuit?

Sep 28, 2009 at 10:07 PM Post #2,728 of 3,058
drives them fine for my liking, nice and down the middle, no peak or trough colouring just accurate and plain just how i like it

in terms of juice, the HPA2 is powering them heartily, at 10-11 oclock on the dial thats as much as i want to go thank you.

at the end of the day people either like or dislike the HPA-2 and thats how it will be with HD800 jacked in

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkyMark /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone impressions on how the HD800 is driven by the HPA2 circuit?

Sep 28, 2009 at 10:17 PM Post #2,729 of 3,058
Cheers Quaddy!

Oct 2, 2009 at 8:57 AM Post #2,730 of 3,058
Quote:

Originally Posted by Quaddy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
drives them fine for my liking, nice and down the middle, no peak or trough colouring just accurate and plain just how i like it

in terms of juice, the HPA2 is powering them heartily, at 10-11 oclock on the dial thats as much as i want to go thank you.

at the end of the day people either like or dislike the HPA-2 and thats how it will be with HD800 jacked in

I agree with Quaddy as well. I recently got my HD800 and have been enjoying them very much through the DAC1 HDR.

I used to have HD650 with Zu Mobius cable on balanced output. Now I preferred the HD800 over the HD650 even it is still currently running unbalanced. The HD800 stock cable is much much better than the HD650's. DAC1 provided HD800 with a very clean and detailed sound that is very much to my liking as well. The soundstage is amazing on the HD800 and the DAC1's clean background re-enforces that spaciousness.

The HD650s sounds like you sit at the first row of the concert with heavy bass and somewhat small soundstage, which is a bit close for me. The HD800s sounds like you are in the middle of the concert hall with music surrounding you due to the new large vibrating elements.

Just like Quaddy mentioned, people here either like or dislike the HPA2. But, I personally felt it's a pretty powerful headphone amp and drives almost everything well. Kudos to Benchmark for providing such a well-rounded and flexible DAC.
beyersmile.png

Howard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back