Benchmark DAC1 now available with USB
Apr 23, 2009 at 8:34 AM Post #2,521 of 3,058
Hi Elias!

Just a thought of how to get things running later on in the EU, because of the new "energy save" laws over here.

They will force to have any product (at least "entertainmant electronics") must be very restrictive with their power-draw in stanby modes.
So, if the product doesn't have a dedicated "hard off" switch, the stand-by consumption must be limited to a very low draw (lets say ~1 Watt).

I don't have the correct numbers/values at hand, but maybe it would be a good idea to get in contact with your european distributers to sort that one out.

Greetings
Harald

P.S.:
Take a look at: https://www.zvei.org/fileadmin/user_...18_L339-45.pdf

From page 6:
Quote:

(a) Power consumption in ‘off mode’:
Power consumption of equipment in any off-mode condition shall not exceed 1,00 W.

(b) Power consumption in ‘standby mode(s)’:
The power consumption of equipment in any condition providing only a reactivation function, or providing only a
reactivation function and a mere indication of enabled reactivation function, shall not exceed 1,00 W.

The power consumption of equipment in any condition providing only information or status display, or providing
only a combination of reactivation function and information or status display, shall not exceed 2,00 W.

Puuuhh, I hate this kind of "technocratic" language ...
confused_face.gif

Apr 23, 2009 at 1:34 PM Post #2,523 of 3,058
Quote:

Originally Posted by EliasGwinn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks Synfreak! I hadn't heard about this.

Hi Elias!

Yeah, ...
I think MOST manufacturers from outside, and even the majority from inside the EU, haven't got that one on their business-plans ...

I'm not shure, how fast these plans will be forced, but if they kick in as estimated for the start of the next year, a lot of currently produced hardware will get some serious problems.

beerchug.gif

Harald

Apr 28, 2009 at 3:46 PM Post #2,525 of 3,058
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord Chaos /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This post is only an attempt to get the last page of the thread to load, which it won't do using normal buttons.

Edit: for some reason the list shows a page 169, but it apparently doesn't really exist.

this is a known bug, where a phantom +1 page is created, but it doesnt exist, you are on the most current page.

OT: cant wait to see the dac1 HDR in black, any renders/photos yet benchmark?

Apr 30, 2009 at 8:48 PM Post #2,526 of 3,058
I've received my DAC1 HRD today and it's working great. The volume adjustment is much more precise now and having a remote is very convenient.
dt880smile.png

Elias, quick question, is there a reason for changing the optical out port from the retractable cover on the DAC1 PRE to the small detachable cover like the one on the original DAC1?

Not like it matters a lot, but I personally found these detachable optical port cover inconvenient because they are small and I can loose it easily.

Example:

DAC1 USB, DAC1 PRE
3488962107_219688aea8_o.jpg

DAC1, DAC1 HDR
3488962089_b40833a681_o.jpg

Thanks,
Howard.

Apr 30, 2009 at 9:40 PM Post #2,528 of 3,058
Quote:

Originally Posted by hh83917 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've received my DAC1 HRD today and it's working great. The volume adjustment is much more precise now and having a remote is very convenient.
dt880smile.png

Elias, quick question, is there a reason for changing the optical out port from the retractable cover on the DAC1 PRE to the small detachable cover like the one on the original DAC1?

Not like it matters a lot, but I personally found these detachable optical port cover inconvenient because they are small and I can loose it easily.

Example:

DAC1 USB, DAC1 PRE
3488962107_219688aea8_o.jpg

DAC1, DAC1 HDR
3488962089_b40833a681_o.jpg

Thanks,
Howard.

The 'garage-door' optical ports were susceptible to breaking. The hinged-door broke on too many units, so we are currently using the original style on all units.

All the best,
Elias

Apr 30, 2009 at 10:44 PM Post #2,529 of 3,058
Quote:

Originally Posted by EliasGwinn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The 'garage-door' optical ports were susceptible to breaking. The hinged-door broke on too many units, so we are currently using the original style on all units.

All the best,
Elias

I see, that sound like a good reason to use the traditional optical port. I never had the 'garage-door' port break on me, but it's good to know that Benchmark chooses long-lasting over convenience, because I would have done the same too. Thank you for the quick explanation and I am very happy with the new volume control.
normal_smile .gif

Best regards,
Howard.

May 1, 2009 at 6:44 AM Post #2,530 of 3,058
Quote:

Originally Posted by Quaddy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
/\ congrats on getting the HDR!!!

please post Photos of the unit and the remote, what colour did you choose?

Thanks, I got the silver one because it matches the iMac better and less apparent when it gets dusty.
wink.gif

Few photos of the HDR as requested:
Front
3490049255_94b278bace.jpg

Back
3490049279_a8de29f774_o.jpg

Accessories (basically the same as the other DAC1s other than the extra remote)
3490865510_0ab0b998e1_o.jpg

Remote (not the prettiest but gets the job done)
3490048867_018bb7af6c_o.jpg

Remote closer shot (there's on/off, input switch, volume up/down, and mute. I get the control I've wanted for being a couch potato
tongue_smile.gif
)
3490058201_5be58aba67_o.jpg

Thanks,
Howard.

May 1, 2009 at 2:04 PM Post #2,533 of 3,058
Quote:

Originally Posted by hh83917 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I see, that sound like a good reason to use the traditional optical port. I never had the 'garage-door' port break on me, but it's good to know that Benchmark chooses long-lasting over convenience, because I would have done the same too. Thank you for the quick explanation and I am very happy with the new volume control.
normal_smile .gif

Best regards,
Howard.

Glad to hear it!

Let me know if you have any questions, especially regarding the remote. Have you played with the independenet dim control yet? The DAC1 HDR will remember its position even if you change the normal volume. Also, the soft-mute fades to and ramps from the dim setting. Cool, eh?

All the best,
Elias

May 1, 2009 at 9:35 PM Post #2,535 of 3,058
@Quaddy: Thanks, I'm glad you like it.

@Elias: Yes, I've just learned about the mute buttons. They are indeed very cool. It will remember the last volume position, which is nice. Also, I found the dim setting pretty useful. I can now press a button and it will go to the preset dim level I've set it as and answer a quick incoming call.

Another difference I found on the PRE and the HDR is that the HDR does not have auto standby after 15 seconds.

Elias, can you explain a little about the "Phase-Accurate Multi-Track and 5.1" and how do one hooks up a 5.1 for listening (for future references)? Thanks.

Regards,
Howard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back