Benchmark DAC1 now available with USB
Mar 5, 2009 at 6:52 PM Post #2,402 of 3,058
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadLover /img/forum/go_quote.gif
EliasGwinn

I have a little problem.
I have the Audioengine A5 speakers connected to my DAC1 PRE.
but it seem like the right channel is stronger than the left (or the other way)
Is there a way to change it a little bit?

Quote:

Also,
It seem like the DAC1 PRE is giving way to much gain to those speakers, cause I am almost at 0% volume on the speaker, and yet the volume is more like it should be where it is 25%
Not nice at all, I can't hear at low volume.

What can be done?

Quote:

So, is there anything I can do to make the volume (the fixed one) out of my DAC1 PRE be more "usuable" for my A5 speakers?
I know many have them here, what can be done?

You mentioned the 'fixed' volume control of the DAC1 PRE, so I assume you are using the volume control on the front of the speakers.

The channel imbalance is probably due to the fact that the volume control on the front of the speakers is being used near the bottom of its range.

To reduce the amount of signal that you are sending to the speakers, you will need to recalibrate the 'fixed' levels (which requires a voltmeter, a constant-amplitude test tone, and a small, flat screw driver) or use the 'variable' mode and set the volume control to the desired level. The variable mode will not reduce quality, so don't hesitate to go that route.

Let me know how it goes.

Thanks,
Elias

Mar 5, 2009 at 10:08 PM Post #2,403 of 3,058
Oh I have tried using the variable mode and it sure his great, I am putting in on a step than I can use the speakers with like 25% volume for my music like I love (I don't love hearing loud)
Will it reduce quality?
Also, what is better, using the volume on FOOBAR2000/windows or the volume on the DAC1 PRE for it ? (as for SQ)

And,
How come that with other speakers I had (Some creative) it was really fine using the 'fixed', but here with the A5 is it way to loud?
And is it ok?

I don't have all those tools, so I guess using the variable will be the best for me?

Mar 5, 2009 at 10:17 PM Post #2,404 of 3,058
Oh and one more thing, can't I use the DAC1 PRE as a PRE with the A5, mean to put the A5 on the MAX volume and than use the DAC1 for tune the volume? or will it be bad?
I just want to know what will be the BEST COMBO for giving me both SQ and a good volume control and not need to "blow my ears out"
wink.gif

Mar 6, 2009 at 11:09 PM Post #2,406 of 3,058
HeadLover, slow down... Yes, you can set the monitors to maximum or near-maximum and use them like a typical preamp + active monitors setup. Use the knob on the DAC1 Pre to control volume; it's analog and won't attenuate the digital signal like a software mixer might.

Mar 9, 2009 at 12:50 PM Post #2,407 of 3,058
elias, a question if i may regarding dac1 pre output power

can you tell me what output power the HPA2 is able to provide? in watts

i would be running an AKG K1000 into the pre via single ended TRS on the headphone section, which i realize wont drive them with much authority

as the likes of the AKG K1000(120ohm) require a lot of power, maybe a very bare minimum of 1 watt, ideally 8 watts and above, as they are ear speakers, not headphones

so i was wondering what the figures are for the pre

thanks very much for any info

Mar 9, 2009 at 2:44 PM Post #2,408 of 3,058
Quote:

Oh I have tried using the variable mode and it sure his great, I am putting in on a step than I can use the speakers with like 25% volume for my music like I love (I don't love hearing loud)
Will it reduce quality?
Also, what is better, using the volume on FOOBAR2000/windows or the volume on the DAC1 PRE for it ? (as for SQ)

And,
How come that with other speakers I had (Some creative) it was really fine using the 'fixed', but here with the A5 is it way to loud?
And is it ok?

I don't have all those tools, so I guess using the variable will be the best for me?

Quote:

Oh and one more thing, can't I use the DAC1 PRE as a PRE with the A5, mean to put the A5 on the MAX volume and than use the DAC1 for tune the volume? or will it be bad?
I just want to know what will be the BEST COMBO for giving me both SQ and a good volume control and not need to "blow my ears out"
wink.gif

I recommend using the DAC1 PRE as the VC (volume control) as much as possible. Also, Foobar's VC is very high quality, so you can use it as well.

For your system, I recommend the following steps to setup your system:
1. Set the DAC1 PRE's VC at 10 o'clock (or about 30%)
2. Play one of the loudest tracks that you listen to
3. Adjust the VC of the A5's to achieve a volume that is the most quiet that you would want to listen to your music
4. If this results in the A5's VC being below 30%, turn down Foobar 30%.
5. Repeat steps 3 and 4 until the VC of the A5 is above 30% at the most quiet listening position
6. Once you've set the VC of the A5 and Foobar, use the DAC1 PRE to control the volume. Since the quietest setting will be 30% of the DAC1 PRE's VC, it will only be used at or above the 30% setting for all listening levels.

This method will give you the best sound quality.

The reason the A5's are louder then the Creative speakers is because the built-in amplifiers are more powerful.

Thanks,
Elias

Mar 9, 2009 at 2:58 PM Post #2,409 of 3,058
Quote:

Originally Posted by Quaddy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
elias, a question if i may regarding dac1 pre output power

can you tell me what output power the HPA2 is able to provide? in watts

i would be running an AKG K1000 into the pre via single ended TRS on the headphone section, which i realize wont drive them with much authority

as the likes of the AKG K1000(120ohm) require a lot of power, maybe a very bare minimum of 1 watt, ideally 8 watts and above, as they are ear speakers, not headphones

so i was wondering what the figures are for the pre

thanks very much for any info

Hey Quaddy,

The HPA2 amp can drive up to 250 mA. With a 120 ohm load, you will be able to deliver up to 7.5 watts.

Thanks,
Elias

Mar 9, 2009 at 5:24 PM Post #2,411 of 3,058
Thank you!
So
right now I am doing like this, 100% volume on foobar2000 using Vista and WASAPI, so the digital is bit perfect (no DSP and 24 bit output)
I have set the DAC1 as for something like between the 9 to 10 on the volume knob.
And I am using my A5 for volume, where the lowest I get is like 8 and a little.
How is it?
I really don't want to touch in the digital domain so it will be bit perfect

Mar 11, 2009 at 7:41 AM Post #2,413 of 3,058
Hi Headlover, I understand what you are getting at, so here is a reasoned guess for an answer on my part. Ideally, if you want the most bitperfect sound possible, then your comp settings are correct, but you wish to avoid the volume pot on the benchmark. You can avoid this by going calibrated, and either a) adjusting jumpers inside as everyone helped me do way back when in this thread to appropriate db padding, or b) adjusting the little pots on the back with a tiny screwdriver, as elias suggested, but just adjust -as best you can to get them equal-, realizing that your ears will eventually tell which speaker is a little more biased, if at all, and adjust that one speaker accordingly. The reason Elias wanted you to use a test signal and take measurements is because he is working with recording engineer standards, and they need perfect levels, which I am guessing you might not, as neither do I. At lot of people have reported improved results by having the damping pads/jumpers at 0db, which I changed them to just to be safe, but i had to turn down the voltage on the back to compensate, so perhaps voltage is the best route. By going calibrated and attenuating volume this way, and just using your a5 volume, you avoid any dac volume pot interference, which is minimal but you wanted the cleanest route. You are affecting voltage/damping the other route, which I surmise is more bit perfect. Then your a5 doesn't have to be at 8, ideally you'd want it at 5 for your sweet spot, reason being there's no need to drive them that hard with the other adjustments, and allows more variation for mood, longevity of speakers etc. Hopefully some/all of my previous advice is correct.
On a side note, a link to some headphone art I think people might dig:
sts9 Store - Merch Detail . Cheers.

Mar 20, 2009 at 12:07 AM Post #2,414 of 3,058
I'm not getting much with searches...

Is there any consensus on the best linux media player (hopefully Ubuntu compatible) to output the Very Best sound quality via USB?

Tricks in settings for best quality? Thanks folks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back