Benchmark DAC1 now available with USB
Jun 5, 2008 at 5:24 PM Post #1,651 of 3,058
Quote:

Originally Posted by ted betley /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Got the file accumulator report but the format/text is not decipherable. Any hints on how to open? When it asked me what program made the report I answered notepad. I guess that was not right.

Never noticed that since I use emacs. It's a text file alright, but it has unix line endings instead of DOS line endings. I would have thought Notepad would be smart enough... but MS Word can open it.

- Eric

Jun 6, 2008 at 1:26 AM Post #1,654 of 3,058
Does it improve the sound quality of a CD player by much ? I know that depends on the quality of the CD player for a start. Or do you guys prefer the sound quality straight from a CD player ? Sorry if this has been raised.

Jun 6, 2008 at 12:40 PM Post #1,655 of 3,058
I have been monitoring for 1 day and max latency I get is 4-5000 usec which to me is .05 sec. I have not heard any glitches yet maybe the opticis--out of sys for 3 days now--was the problem. I do get a lot of activity on one usb driver but none exceeding 4000 u sec. Eweitzman was your problem id'd with latencies over 1 second?

Jun 6, 2008 at 7:48 PM Post #1,657 of 3,058
The Benchmark USB DAC is a very disappointed piece of audio gear. I am not going to explain about all the negative things about this DAC. You are better off spending a little more money on a Hagerman USB DAC. I have the Hagerman Chime DAC, but Jim Hagerman is no longer producing this wonderful DAC. Jim has a new USB DAC (DA-10) which will probably out perform the Chime DAC. The only issue I have with the new DAC is it doesn't have a rectifier tube. If you are interested in a Chime DAC, once in a blue moon, you will see one in audiogon. So, before you commence in purchasing a benchmark, you might want to consider a Hagerman USB dac. This will save you time and money when you decide the benchmark is not all that it talks up to be. Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that I replace all my tubes with mullards and this made the Chime DAC out perform all the DAC's I have ever owned. Good Day! David

Jun 6, 2008 at 8:20 PM Post #1,658 of 3,058
Quote:

Originally Posted by stax#1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Benchmark USB DAC is a very disappointed piece of audio gear. I am not going to explain about all the negative things about this DAC. You are better off spending a little more money on a Hagerman USB DAC. I have the Hagerman Chime DAC, but Jim Hagerman is no longer producing this wonderful DAC. Jim has a new USB DAC (DA-10) which will probably out perform the Chime DAC. The only issue I have with the new DAC is it doesn't have a rectifier tube.

What was wrong with the DAC1? It sounds like you just prefer tube gear...

Doesn't the assembled version of the Hagerman DA-10 cost around $2,300? That's almost double the cost of the DAC1 USB.

Jun 7, 2008 at 1:26 AM Post #1,660 of 3,058
Well I believe problem is solved --either the opticis is defective or my dell can't push the usb/opticis/usb cable chain (good news--thanks elias this was your suggestion) but the bad news is I cant use the opticis. I had the Benchie parked in my system such that I could use 1 meter balanced ic's to my front end electronics. Also I could place my oppo (modded by shawn fogg) close to the Benchie while plugging the oppo pc into my shunyata. Now I can't.

Mr eweitzman I did get very good latencies nothing over 5-6000 usec even though the dpc latency checker did say this might be a problem, it never was and I did learn a lot so thank you too. Even though the latency checker said that I was pushing things with 4-5000 usec ocurences I never got a pop or crackle. I have been pop free for 3 days. While I'm happy I solved my problem I really need a good usb extender but I tried 2 now (one the opticis recommended by gordon) and one a pure hub extender recommended by elias)and neither worked for me. I'll have to figure out how refit my components to get max sound quality. I know I'll need at least a 10 meter pair of double cross mogamis. Oh well but while driving my front end with garden variety unbalanced ic's the benchie still sounds great. I hope somebody else can learn from my experience.

Live learn and spend a little $.

Jun 11, 2008 at 1:04 PM Post #1,662 of 3,058
Quote:

Originally Posted by LIVE_EVIL /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is there a black faceplate DAC1 PRE or they are all silver?

Hello Live Evil,

We only make silver DAC1 PRE's.

Thanks,
Elias

ps. Your username is such a great album...
evil_smiley.gif
biggrin.gif

Jun 11, 2008 at 2:14 PM Post #1,663 of 3,058
Hi Elias,
Thanks a lot for the answer.

Yeah, this live album is really great. Black Sabbath started for me from this record. "Heaven and Hell" and "The sign of the Southern Cross" contribute to such an epic performance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back