Benchmark DAC1 now available with USB
Dec 5, 2007 at 10:16 PM Post #1,081 of 3,058
Quote:

Originally Posted by EliasGwinn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've just received some very interesting information from an Apple engineer about the operation of iTunes / Core Audio. I'm going to do some testing, and post the conclusions soon.

For now, I just want to let you all know this:

If you are using iTunes 7.0 or higher, it is important to set the sample-rate in AudioMIDI BEFORE OPENING ITUNES. If you have iTunes open, close it, then set the sample-rate in AudioMIDI. Apparently iTunes locks to the sample-rate that is set in AudioMIDI when iTunes is launched, and the sample-rate can not be changed until iTunes is closed and re-launched.

I'll let you know as I find out more.

Thanks,
Elias

Great update Elias - keep 'em coming!
wink.gif

Would also be very helpful to have the same questions answered for running iTunes under a windows environment (XP in my case) as I run an OSX rig and an XP rig. I presume AudioMIDI is OSX only - is there an XP equivalent or other setting in XP that needs similar attention?

Thanks again Elias - I know you have a myriad of other things to do besides answering the many questions that Head-fi throws at you!
redface.gif

Dec 6, 2007 at 2:12 AM Post #1,082 of 3,058
Hello, I just got my Dac-1 in the mail today, I just want to say it sounds terrific, it completely blackens the background. Much louder/lower bass, the windows rattle with my little duo's now. I switched the jumper on the inside to do coax only, only to my chagrin realizing I was not properly grounded while doing it. I'm curious what if anything would be damaged, is there a simpler cure rather than buying a grounding wristband before moving the jumper (nitrile gloves?). What would it cost to have your team fix a unit that was affected by this? I thought I was doing the right thing with the jumper, who knows maybe it's all buggered now, or maybe things go wrong rarely with this issue. I certainly think it sounds fabulous, but what do I know. Thanks again, even my silly mp3's sound great.

Dec 6, 2007 at 2:27 PM Post #1,084 of 3,058
Quote:

Originally Posted by EliasGwinn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've just received some very interesting information from an Apple engineer about the operation of iTunes / Core Audio. I'm going to do some testing, and post the conclusions soon.

For now, I just want to let you all know this:

If you are using iTunes 7.0 or higher, it is important to set the sample-rate in AudioMIDI BEFORE OPENING ITUNES. If you have iTunes open, close it, then set the sample-rate in AudioMIDI. Apparently iTunes locks to the sample-rate that is set in AudioMIDI when iTunes is launched, and the sample-rate can not be changed until iTunes is closed and re-launched.

Elias, others;

Ok here is how it works as I just tested this again.

If you set the Fs rate in the Audio pane of the Audio Midi Setup to say 96k. Then you start iTunes and play then CoreAudio is told to upsample from 44.1 to 96k.

If you go into Audio Midi Setup during your iTunes session and reset this to something (like 44.1) else then it will follow. You don't have to leave iTunes to change the sampling rate.

Therefore say if you are playing Red book stuff but then want to play high rez stuff, keep iTunes and Audio Midi Setup up and change the rate according to the needs of the track.

As for quality of the upsampling got me, I am not one for mucking with the data.

Test Setup: G5 Dual ---->USB Analyzer-->DAC--->Test System

I used for the dac both my Crimson and the Benchmark both had the same results.

With the USB Analyzer I can easily tell what the Fs rate is by the amount of data sent per frame @ 1ms.

Thanks
Gordon

Dec 6, 2007 at 2:32 PM Post #1,085 of 3,058
Quote:

Originally Posted by tuffgong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello, I just got my Dac-1 in the mail today, I just want to say it sounds terrific, it completely blackens the background. Much louder/lower bass, the windows rattle with my little duo's now. I switched the jumper on the inside to do coax only, only to my chagrin realizing I was not properly grounded while doing it. I'm curious what if anything would be damaged, is there a simpler cure rather than buying a grounding wristband before moving the jumper (nitrile gloves?). What would it cost to have your team fix a unit that was affected by this?

Your DAC1 probably did not suffer from any ESD damage as long as you didn't touch any IC's. If there was any damage, you would hear it. The only precaution necessary before changing the jumpers is to touch the chassis wall first to discharge any major ESD build up. This will NOT prevent ESD altogether, but it will release the majority of any build up so that there are no large arc's.

If the unit has suffered any ESD damage, we would repair the unit without charge since it is under warranty.

Thanks,
Elias

Dec 6, 2007 at 2:33 PM Post #1,086 of 3,058
Quote:

Originally Posted by sangel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello Elias,

Thanks for your response.
By the way, if you remember, what was the max length of your usb cable under testing with the DAC1 usb!!

Thanks

sangel

The longest USB cable that we have tested the DAC1 USB with is approximately 3 meters.

Thanks,
Elias

Dec 6, 2007 at 7:02 PM Post #1,087 of 3,058
Hi Elias, thanks for all your help, when you say touch ic's, do you mean the interconnects on the back of the unit, or any connecting wires within the unit? For any non-professionals out there, I tried to boost the rca output with the trim pots on the back, but it induces distortion on my stereo immediately. On the flip side, I can turn my stereo up higher instead without adding noise, so I just let the amp give me more volume instead of trying to give it a higher signal. Cheers.

Dec 6, 2007 at 7:41 PM Post #1,088 of 3,058
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wavelength /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you set the Fs rate in the Audio pane of the Audio Midi Setup to say 96k. Then you start iTunes and play then CoreAudio is told to upsample from 44.1 to 96k.

If you go into Audio Midi Setup during your iTunes session and reset this to something (like 44.1) else then it will follow. You don't have to leave iTunes to change the sampling rate.

Therefore say if you are playing Red book stuff but then want to play high rez stuff, keep iTunes and Audio Midi Setup up and change the rate according to the needs of the track.

I'm afraid I disagree. According to an Apple engineer and my testing, iTunes locks to the sample-rate of CoreAudio (AudioMIDI) upon launching. After iTunes is launched, you can change the Fs of CoreAudio via AudioMIDI, and the newly set Fs will apply to the output of CoreAudio. However, iTunes itself will still be locked at the initial rate. The audio will be SRC'd by CoreAudio to the newly set rate. That is why it looks like the Fs is changing....CoreAudio's Fs is changing, but iTunes is not.

For example, if CoreAudio Fs is set to 96k in AudioMIDI when iTunes is launched, iTunes will be locked at 96 kHz output. If you play a 44.1 kHz iTunes will SRC it to 96 kHz before sending it to CoreAudio. If you then change AudioMIDI (CoreAudio) to 44.1, CoreAudio will SRC the 96k that it is receiving from iTunes to 44.1. The resulting output will be 44.1 kHz, but it is 96k in-between iTunes and CoreAudio. This is why you see the sample-rate following AudioMIDI...it will!! But iTunes output sample-rate is not changing, and CoreAudio is SRC'ing it to the set rate.

iTunes output Fs will not change until you re-launch iTunes. At that time, it will lock to the Fs currently set in AudioMIDI.

(In case anyone is confused about the difference between AudioMIDI and CoreAudio: CoreAudio is the audio engine in OS X. AudioMIDI is simply the user interface to CoreAudio - that is, the window where you can change the settings of CoreAudio.).

I should say that this is all tested with OSX 10.4.5 (Tiger). Gordon may be getting different results because of Leopard. I have ordered Leopard, and it will be here early next week.

However, the engineer from Apple said this is a decision they made when designing iTunes 7.0 and up, so it shouldn't be affected by the OS.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wavelength /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As for quality of the upsampling got me, I am not one for mucking with the data.

Ideally, we wouldn't have to change anything to avoid SRC. Unfortunately, OS X is set up in such a fashion that it is a task to avoid SRC. But they seem willing to work with us re: bugs, so maybe there are brighter days ahead...maybe.

Thanks,
Elias

Dec 6, 2007 at 7:43 PM Post #1,089 of 3,058
Quote:

Hi Elias, thanks for all your help, when you say touch ic's, do you mean the interconnects on the back of the unit, or any connecting wires within the unit? For any non-professionals out there, I tried to boost the rca output with the trim pots on the back, but it induces distortion on my stereo immediately. On the flip side, I can turn my stereo up higher instead without adding noise, so I just let the amp give me more volume instead of trying to give it a higher signal. Cheers.

IC = integrated circuit. Aka, the 'chips'. The 'chips' in the DAC1 are the only things that are (realisically) damageable from ESD. If you touch chassis before going inside the unit, and avoid touching the 'chips', you should be fine.

Thanks,
Elias

Dec 6, 2007 at 7:46 PM Post #1,090 of 3,058
Quote:

For any non-professionals out there, I tried to boost the rca output with the trim pots on the back, but it induces distortion on my stereo immediately. On the flip side, I can turn my stereo up higher instead without adding noise, so I just let the amp give me more volume instead of trying to give it a higher signal. Cheers.

I forgot to say in my last post...

The thing you did with the RCA's is the right thing to do. That is, set the output to the upper limit before distortion. BUT, unless you have proper testing equipment, it is better to error on the too-low side vs. the too-high side.

Thanks,
Elias

Dec 6, 2007 at 8:21 PM Post #1,091 of 3,058
Quote:

If you are using iTunes 7.0 or higher, it is important to set the sample-rate in AudioMIDI BEFORE OPENING ITUNES. If you have iTunes open, close it, then set the sample-rate in AudioMIDI.

Elias/Gordon, what should the word length be set to in AudioMidi when primarily playing 16/44.1 files - 2ch16bit or 2ch24bit. Does the word length setting matter at all?

Also, there is a volume slider below the sample rate setting in AudioMidi that got me confused. What should that one be set to? What does this volume slider do?

Dec 6, 2007 at 9:21 PM Post #1,092 of 3,058
Got my DAC1 yesterday. In short - I'm not totally sure what I was expecting, but I can say that I was not expecting the quality and general awesomeness I can hear. I have three audio systems that have just been totally transformed!

That's it - back to listening!

Dec 6, 2007 at 9:34 PM Post #1,093 of 3,058
Quote:

Originally Posted by restock /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Elias/Gordon, what should the word length be set to in AudioMidi when primarily playing 16/44.1 files - 2ch16bit or 2ch24bit. Does the word length setting matter at all?

If you are using an audio device that interfaces to the Mac @ 24-bit, then you should always use 24-bit when possible. I can explain why in detail, if you want. But, just know that 24-bit is best if your device is capable.

Quote:

Originally Posted by restock /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also, there is a volume slider below the sample rate setting in AudioMidi that got me confused. What should that one be set to? What does this volume slider do?

Keep this volume control at 100%. Software volume controls are usually damaging to the audio. The volume control on the newest iTunes is the exception. It works exceptionally well.

Thanks,
Elias

Dec 6, 2007 at 10:17 PM Post #1,094 of 3,058
Elias, thanks very for the quick response.

I do have Benchmark DAC1USB as well as a Wavelength Brick in my two systems
wink.gif
I assume for the DAC1USB you would certainly recommend the 24bit setting.

I did not realize the volume control in AudioMIDI was simply connected to the main volume control. I usually make sure that one is set to max.

I am looking forward to hearing more about your tests of iTunes on Leopard when you get to it.

Dec 6, 2007 at 11:45 PM Post #1,095 of 3,058
Restock, Elias;

FYI I was making a Brick today and checked the thing out again with the Audio Midi Setup and found that the problem only happens when you put a 24/96 dac on.

I talked to Apple and they say it has something to do with the USB init to the Audio Midi Setup that is causing the problem and for 24/96 dacs it pushes the Fs (sample rate) to the max and for 16 bit it leaves it at 44.1.

I think Lepoard and 7.5 iTunes sounds much better than earlier versions.

Well it could be worse things in life.

Thanks
Gordon

Users who are viewing this thread

Back