Originally Posted by EliasGwinn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would be very happy...

Quote:

I would be very happy...

Quote:

I would be very happy...

Huh? I'm seeing three identical posts here, #688-690.

Jun 28, 2007 at 2:02 PM Post #692 of 3,058
yeah, i don't know why it repeated my post like that...???

ok, just messin with ya this time...
icon10.gif

Thanks,
Elias

Jun 28, 2007 at 2:31 PM Post #693 of 3,058
Generally speaking, there are three arguments for higher sample-rates. I will state them here for the sake of this discussion, but I am not implying or denying their validity. Here they are:

1. The cutoff filter will affect the 20-20k range less as it is moved up the frequency spectrum. The higher the sample rate, the higher you can move your filter, the less you attenuate 20k.

2. DSP (EQ, gain calculations, reverbs, etc) all benefit from more samples to work with

3. The ultrasonic frequencies, although not detectable by the human ear when heard by themselves, affect how we perceive the audio to which it is related when it is included.

The third point is a heavily debated point, and I cannot claim any authority in the matter, so I will not state an opinion.

The first point is true, but follows the law of diminishing returns. That is, when you move the filter just past 20kHz, you get better high freq linearity as you move up in freq. But, after you move it far enough away, you don't gain much more linearity. For example, if the sample-rate is 96k, which puts the filter at 48k, you are more then an octave above 20k. Depending on the filter design, this should be more then enough bandwidth to accurately reproduce 20k.

However, if you keep moving your cutoff frequency up, the chip's filter performance becomes compromised and you start to introduce non-linearity, inaccurate frequency response, and inefficient stop-band performance, which will introduce aliasing. The point where you start compromising the filter's performance is above 115 kHz...which is why we chose 110 kHz as our re-sample freq. It keeps us in a safe area of the filter, yet is more then competent for 96k (actually, more competent then a 96k conversion because the filter cutoff freq is moved up and away from the recorded Nyquist by 7kHz (48->55kHz), which means that it will not attenuate 47kHz as much).

By the way, none of this is dependent on how much money you spend on a chip. The chips used in the DAC1 are nearly the same price as those used in the most expensive converters in the world. The chips are not very expensive. You can't buy a chip which performs better at 192kHz then at 96 kHz...they don't exist. The parts that are expensive, and therefore limited by cost, are the faceplate, chassis, knobs, multi-channel (8) designs, etc.

Thanks,
Elias

Jun 28, 2007 at 11:30 PM Post #694 of 3,058
The filter issue is taken care of by oversampling. I think the real reason for 192's existence is "more is better" type marketing.

Jul 1, 2007 at 7:14 AM Post #695 of 3,058
I went ahead and bought a DAC1 USB and have been running it for about eight hours now as a USB DAC (not a headphone amp). I need quite a bit of time with a component before I can assess its true nature, so all I can do at this point is give my first impressions.

In short, this is an unusually good component, regardless of price. Going a bit out on a limb, I would say world class. It seems to be neutral and uncolored; the underlying recording generates the sound, not the DAC. It is very detailed and clean, but not "forward" and absolutely not bright, harsh or any of the bad things I have come to associate with most digital playback. It is not "laid back" in the sense of a recessed sound.

A lot of what I am hearing seems to be the result of a very, very low noise floor -- there is a lot of silence (some people call it blackness) in the background of the playback that "sounds" like the absence of noise of one type or another. It means that you can resolve micro detail at low volumes and can be happy listening at lower volumes (though high volumes sound good too).

If you haven't heard the effect of a very low noise floor it is a little hard to describe. It comes across as greater clarity and purity of sound. Depending on the recording, it makes us think "that sounds good" or "that sounds real."

I have the DAC1 USB running on the following setup.

Apple Pismo (500Mhz, 512MB memory) running Tiger, which I just bought used on eBay. I have used all of the settings recommended in this thread to play music back on Apple. I am using this Pismo to test how modest of a PC I can use to generate great sound. As of now, the Pismo is passing the test. Keep in mind that all it does is play music using iTunes.

All music has been burned using a high quality Plextor drive, with iTunes error correction on and using Apple Lossless Compression.

LaCie D2 Extreme 250GB triple interface drive, which I am running into the Pismo using the Firewire 400 port.

I am running the DAC1 USB directly into a McIntosh 2102 tube amp (100 watts per channel via a total of 8 KT-88's) which is powering some fine vintage Bozak Concert Grand speakers (actually, the pair that were reviewed for Stereophile).

As a listener I am most sensitive to tone and I really hate digital artifacts. I especially hate the distortions that suck the life out of music, leaving behind, zombie like, only the cold, lifeless structure and form.

Anyway, the DAC1 USB doesn't do any of the many bad things I hate and appears to do unusually good things such as 1) neutrally present the music as it was recorded (subject to the limitations of the source recording on CD -- most of which, unfortunately, still aren't as good as they should be) and 2) present the music with a low, low noise floor that will encourage music nuts to listen to their favorite recordings late into the night and early morning.

So congratulations to Benchmark. While I will know much more in the coming weeks, I think Benchmark deserves credit for introducing a really noteworthy component -- one that I suspect a lot of people are going to want as the heart of their PC-based playback systems.

And thanks to Elias, whose many explanatory posts (and unfailing patience and politeness) persuaded me to give the DAC1 USB a try for my second system. For the record, I have no association with Benchmark or any other part of the audio or music business. I bought the DAC1 USB off the Benchmark web site at its list price of $1275 plus shipping. I own and have spent many happy hours listening to another unusually good USB DAC, the Wavelength Audio Cosecant V2.0.

Regards, James

Jul 1, 2007 at 3:45 PM Post #696 of 3,058
Quote:

Originally Posted by Crowbar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You're way off base here.

There are two ways beat frequencies can be heard. It's known that the brain will form beat frequencies when you play one frequency in one ear and another in the other one. But if the frequencies are ultrasonic, that doesn't happen since they're not detected in the first place. Now, with ultrasound it's possible to create and audible beat frequency, and that's because of the way sound intermodulates in the ear. However, the same applies to bandlimited recording hardware (and all of it is). ADCs used for recording with the sort of filters they have would cause the same intermodulation to be present as actual 5K signals. During playback, that will play back simply because the intermodulation that your ear normally does would have happened at the microphone and ADC and was recorded as a real frequency.

There has been a lot of discussion about this, and as far as I know the conclusion simply hasn't been reached yet. If a certain system (or room!) has an imperfect transfer function, then these difference frequencies occur, and indeed a 50K and a 60K 'source' sound will result in a 10K target sound. The question is wether or not recording gear should and will record this resultant frequency, or should (also) store the two source frequencies that created it.

Quote:

Oh wow dude, epic failure in understanding basic sampling theory here! Shame... Nyquist limit's minimum 2x sampling frequency is exactly for sine waves; square waves are not bandlimited as it takes infinite sampling frequency to reproduce a true square wave, unless you change from a Fourier basis to say Haar wavelets (and not possible in the physical world since it requres infinite slew rate). You couldn't have possibly gotten this more backwards. Ouch.

Yeah I got it twisted around, my bad. The argument still holds though, as you graciously confirm.
smily_headphones1.gif
- If you need 'unlimited' sampling frequency to reproduce a true square wave, then the higher samplefrequency reproduces a square wave better.

Quote:

Wrong again. Digital and analog are just different ways to represent information. The 20 kHz bandlimit of human hearing directly translates to 40 kilosamples/s to encode the same information digitally, which needs to be raised for practical limits (space for the filter). Likewise for dynamic range and bit depth (20 bits is sufficient in optimal system = anechoic chamber). More generally, the discreteness limiting precision of digital systems doesn't make them inferior, since the physical world is also of limited precision (proof by contradiction: infinite precision analog implies infinite information density, which violates the Bekenstein bound).

That is simply one way of looking at things. I hold that the 'perfect' digital audio would be at infinite bits, and infinite khz. Naturally there are all sorts of more or less subtle differences, but this point I was making wasn't intended to be the end-all of all arguments.

Quote:

Incredibly limited dynamic range and distorted frequency response requiring RIAA equalization. Oh please.

Well only cause you asked so nicely.

Quote:

The filter issue is taken care of by oversampling. I think the real reason for 192's existence is "more is better" type marketing.

For $100 DACs, Im sure that might be the case. But specifically with the target audience (that is definately not impressed with things like 89578923475234 PMPO WATT POWER!@#) I dont think that hardware designers in the (semi) audiophile segment will be -that- influenced by the pure '192 is larger than 96 so it must be better!' argument.

My personal reasoning for considering 192K:
- 192 is the limit of DVD-A, and seems to at least be a number quite often used to indicate the top end of the spectrum. Leaving aside for a moment wether or not DACs can do it -now-, I do not think that in the coming 10 years (and perhaps even our lifetimes!) there will be a need to up bitdepth and samplerate, simply cause the sources don't even hypothetically support it yet. (even BluRay and HD-DVD 'only' specify a max of 192/24
- High end recording outfits commonly record single sources ('microphones') at 96, after which one would sensibly upconvert to 192 inside the computer to start doing the 'DSP work' i.e. mixing/mastering, and this 192-mastered stereo track has only relevant data. It's not just upconverting-for-upconverting's sake.
- The '192' manufacturers I am looking at do (of course!) claim that their gear does work satisfactorily at 192. While they need to live off their work and might even lie about their choices after mass production started, the company I chose have been working with custom digital gear since 1999, so at least they probably won't make beginners mistakes. It would be interesting to invite someone from that company in here to debate the issue with Benchmark, but I suppose this topic is 'Benchmarks' and competition would not be welcome (at least not in this specific topic)

Jul 2, 2007 at 5:06 AM Post #697 of 3,058
Quote:

Originally Posted by puntloos /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The question is wether or not recording gear should and will record this resultant frequency, or should (also) store the two source frequencies that created it.

That's been already answered.

Quote:

If you need 'unlimited' sampling frequency to reproduce a true square wave, then the higher samplefrequency reproduces a square wave better.

You don't seem to get it. True square waves are not physically possible. They don't exist in this physical universe.

Quote:

I hold that the 'perfect' digital audio would be at infinite bits, and infinite khz.

You cannot hold things if you cannot back them up. The physical universe doesn't have infinite resolution. Infinite kHz cannot exist since it's infinite energy. Any actual signal in the physical universe itself has a limiting resolution, and thus it only takes a finite number of bits to match it--any more bits cannot match it better, since there is no higher resolution to match it to. It is exactly because spacetime is not infinitely differentiable that infinite digital precision is useless--after a point, adding more bits doesn't do anything since the analog signal itself has lower resolution. I'm not even talking about the limit of hearing's resolving power, which is orders of magnitude from that.

Quote:

Naturally there are all sorts of more or less subtle differences,

This is not about subtle differences; you are making a claim that goes against laws of physics such as the Bekenstein bound.

Quote:

but this point I was making wasn't intended to be the end-all of all arguments.

No, but it should at least resemble reality in a small way, whereas you are headed into dreamland.

Jul 2, 2007 at 11:43 AM Post #698 of 3,058
Quote:

-snip-

You're missing the point, but I hereby give up trying. Please look up inductive reasoning and consider that when someone mentions that apples fall to the ground, you cannot just shoot that down because you have accellerated a tree to near light speed and the apples fell up.

In any case, again I thank Elias for his patience and clear explainations, I also apologise for getting some things wrong and getting some things right here and there too, but I think I've learned a thing or two, which was the whole point, wasn't it?

I'll be back if/when I have more questions or when I have some results of my ABX testing with the benchmark.

Jul 2, 2007 at 3:04 PM Post #699 of 3,058
This thread reads like DAC Primer! I have been considering moving on a DAC purchase and I cannot thank you all enough. I am glad you are all willing to share/debate the salient points with such passion/thoroughness/clarity. I was considering the Bel Canto DAC3 but now will purchase the Benchmark DAC instead. I plan on using it in between my MAC mini and an RSA Apache which is on the way. I had considering going for a high quality Meridian CD player but hate the workload it would require.

Have I truly entered geek-dom having enjoyed this thread so much?
blink.gif

Jul 2, 2007 at 3:29 PM Post #700 of 3,058
Quote:

The '192' manufacturers I am looking at do (of course!) claim that their gear does work satisfactorily at 192. While they need to live off their work and might even lie about their choices after mass production started, the company I chose have been working with custom digital gear since 1999, so at least they probably won't make beginners mistakes.

I think I may have been unclear with some of my earlier statements. The statements I made earlier do not and should not imply that the DAC1's performance is compromised at 192 kHz. The DAC1 performs equally at 192 kHz as with any other sample-rate. This is because we re-sample to 110 kHz.

The point I was trying to make was that the D-to-A chips used by all DAC manufactures do not perform well at 192 kHz (YET!). We prevent that situation by re-sampling to 110 kHz, which is the sample-rate which the D-to-A chip will maximize performance.

Also, on a more general note, the A-to-D chips used by manufacturers also do not perform will at 192 kHz (again, YET!). This is another part of the debate...possibly more important then the D-to-A side.

Whenever IC manufacturers solve this limitation, Benchmark and every other digital converter manufacturer on the market will begin using those chips. But that time has not come yet, so we will continue recommending recording at 96 kHz for now.

Also, to address your final point, Puntloos....

Quote:

It would be interesting to invite someone from that company in here to debate the issue with Benchmark, but I suppose this topic is 'Benchmarks' and competition would not be welcome (at least not in this specific topic)

I would be very much in favor of any sort of constructive discussion with any designer, manufacturer, user, etc.

This thread is not 'Benchmark's' thread, it is open to anyone and everyone. We may attempt to maintain specific discussion topics, but it is not limited to Benchmark products by any means.

Please pass an invitation to this thread to the manufacturer you are referring to.

Thanks,
Elias

PS. At the risk of getting into semantics, I'd like to point out that Benchmark began shipping our first D-to-A's and A-to-D's in early 1996.

Jul 2, 2007 at 3:39 PM Post #701 of 3,058
Quote:

Originally Posted by dmk005 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have I truly entered geek-dom having enjoyed this thread so much?
blink.gif

Welcome to geek-dom, my friend!! I accepted that lot when I graduated with a degree in EE (because, as we all know, you can't spell 'GEEK' without 'EE'!!).

Also, I'm glad to hear that you have been enjoying this thread and have decided to acquire a DAC1. I'll anxiously be awaiting your impressions!!

Thanks,
Elias

Jul 2, 2007 at 5:17 PM Post #702 of 3,058
I've been greatly enjoying my DAC1 USB. Superb product! My question is: what is the best way to connect the DAC1 to 2 amps with only RCA inputs? (for headphones and speakers ampage) I've tried using Cardas XLR to RCA adapters but the sound quality is compromised compared to the direct RCA out. Would some kind of RCA y-splitter be a better option? Or maybe I'm best off just using the one set of RCA outputs and switching the cable from amp to amp.
Many thanks, Elias, for your excellent contributions to this thread thus far!

Jul 2, 2007 at 5:47 PM Post #703 of 3,058
The RCA splitter will work fine IF the amps have appropriately high input impedance. If you can find out the input impedance of the RCA inputs of your amps, let me know what they are and I can confirm whether it will be ok to do this.

Thanks,
Elias

Jul 3, 2007 at 11:46 PM Post #704 of 3,058
Hi Elias: I am confused about the differences between the DAC 1/USB implimentation of I2S and the USB solution offered by Steve Nugent at Empiracle audio with the total cost for the Off-Ramp I²S/minimum mods Benchmark DAC-1 combination package at $2,645 which Steve Nugent feels is his "most affordable computer solution" that he believes makes world-class sound. But at twice the cost of the DAC1/USB.

He claims that his version is better than the DAC1/USB because "the I2S Benchmark does not have the upsampler chip in it. This allows you to control the sound, from bit-perfect 16/44.1 to 24/96 upsampled on the computer. This is the main difference." What does this mean in laymans terms.

This combination and description was reviewed http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/e...l/offramp.html

He offers other mods as you must know but how they impact SQ is hard to imagine...see below from his website.

$44452) Off-Ramp I2S driving Benchmark DAC-1 with I2S, Turbomod, OPA-627 op-amp upgrade - Very detailed and dynamic
$37453) Off-Ramp I2S driving Benchmark DAC-1 with I2S, Turbomod, dual op-amp upgrade
$45454) Off-Ramp Turbo 2 S/PDIF driving Benchmark DAC-1 with Turbomod, SuperTurboclock, OPA627 op-amp upgrade, BNC/Trans. upgrade
$38455) Off-Ramp Turbo 2 S/PDIF driving Benchmark DAC-1 with Turbomod, SuperTurboclock, dual op-amp upgrade, BNC/Trans. upgrade
$26456) Off-Ramp I2S driving Benchmark DAC-1 with I2S, minimum mods $$$

Jul 3, 2007 at 11:47 PM Post #705 of 3,058
Hi Elias: I am confused about the differences between the DAC 1/USB implimentation of I2S and the USB solution offered by Steve Nugent at Empiracle audio with the total cost for the Off-Ramp I²S/minimum mods Benchmark DAC-1 combination package at $2,645 which Steve Nugent feels is his "most affordable computer solution" that he believes makes world-class sound. But at twice the cost of the DAC1/USB.

He claims that his version is better than the DAC1/USB because "the I2S Benchmark does not have the upsampler chip in it. This allows you to control the sound, from bit-perfect 16/44.1 to 24/96 upsampled on the computer. This is the main difference." What does this mean in laymans terms.

This combination and description was reviewed http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/e...l/offramp.html

He offers other mods as you must know but how they impact SQ is hard to imagine...see below from his website.

$44452) Off-Ramp I2S driving Benchmark DAC-1 with I2S, Turbomod, OPA-627 op-amp upgrade - Very detailed and dynamic
$37453) Off-Ramp I2S driving Benchmark DAC-1 with I2S, Turbomod, dual op-amp upgrade
$45454) Off-Ramp Turbo 2 S/PDIF driving Benchmark DAC-1 with Turbomod, SuperTurboclock, OPA627 op-amp upgrade, BNC/Trans. upgrade
$38455) Off-Ramp Turbo 2 S/PDIF driving Benchmark DAC-1 with Turbomod, SuperTurboclock, dual op-amp upgrade, BNC/Trans. upgrade
$26456) Off-Ramp I2S driving Benchmark DAC-1 with I2S, minimum mods $$$

Users who are viewing this thread

Back