Benchmark DAC1 now available with USB
May 6, 2008 at 3:06 AM Post #1,561 of 3,058
I have my DAC1 USB for quite some time now. I'm using WinXP SP2 + Winamp + ASIO output + ESI Juli@ (soundcard) + SPDIF + DAC1.

I've found that it's clearly better then using the DAC1 driver + DirectSound. A friend of mine listened to both modes too and, without me saying anything, agreed. Sure, I've read the wiki, disabled EQ and volume, but still.

[size=medium]The native ASIO path is simply better than DirectSound.[/size]

Any thoughts?

May 6, 2008 at 3:41 AM Post #1,562 of 3,058
[size=medium]Was this a blind test?[/size]

May 6, 2008 at 11:05 PM Post #1,563 of 3,058
Yes, it was a blind test. The difference is quite obvious.
wink.gif

May 6, 2008 at 11:14 PM Post #1,564 of 3,058
I don't know what the smiley implies. My best guess is that you assumed the difference you heard in a sighted test is so obvious that you're certain you'd hear it in a blind test, and didn't actually bother to do it.
But I don't know you so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.
How did you make the test blind? Who was switching the software audio path?

May 6, 2008 at 11:22 PM Post #1,565 of 3,058
Do you want me to shoot a video to prove it to you or what?
rolleyes.gif

Let's focus on the problem itself, shall we?
smily_headphones1.gif

ASIO bypasses Windows' kmixer. DirectSound does not. Knowing that kmixer messes up with the sound, how on earth is the Benchmark USB driver supposed to sound the same as the native ASIO path?

Don't get me wrong, I payed 300 bucks more to have this feature, I'd really WANT it to be as clear as my ASIO output... But it simply is not.
frown.gif

May 7, 2008 at 1:33 PM Post #1,566 of 3,058
Matias,

Maybe a better test would be to do this and it's merly software:

WinAmp->DirectSount->USB input DAC1
WinAmp->ASIO->USB input DAC1

Beacuse if the sound card has a driver it may in it self discard the kmixer for it's own code.

The above example would prove if you hear the difference and considering how much rederact there is on the KMIXER... I am sure you will.

Thanks
Gordon

May 7, 2008 at 9:08 PM Post #1,567 of 3,058
Hello Head-Fi people!!

I'm pleased to announce that Benchmark Media Systems has moved to a brand new facility (and I mean brand new...my office window still has the sticker on it!!
tongue.gif
). We are still in Syracuse...in fact, we are less then a mile from a previous facility.

I'm sorry I haven't been participating in the discussions here lately. The whole moving process was quite consuming. But, alas, we are up and running, and now I look forward to continuing these discussions with you all.

Thanks!!
Elias

May 7, 2008 at 9:13 PM Post #1,568 of 3,058
Quote:

Originally Posted by G-U-E-S-T /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi Elias,
I am interested in trying the new DAC1 Pre with some active Quad 12L speakers. I would also like to use my subwoofer. Is there any problem using both the XLR outs and the RCA outs simultaneously on the DAC1 Pre? I've been told that the DAC1 Pre's output impedance, and the driving current, would suffer (due to the power supply stress of all outputs simultaneously being used) - and also that the balanced operation of the DAC1 Pre's XLR outs would also be compromised when driving both balanced and unbalanced outputs simultaneously. But I would like to confirm all this with you. Could you please comment on these concerns, and also give any other advice you may have for my application? Thanks!

G-U-E-S-T,

The DAC1 PRE is able to drive all 4 outputs (RCA L; RCA R; XLR L; XLR R)simultaneously without any loss in performance whatsoever.

The only thing that you will need to take into account is that the RCA outputs have different output levels then the XLR outputs. Therefore, you may need to calibrate the input sensitivity of your subwoofer amp to get the appropriate output level.

Let me know if you need help with this.

Thanks,
Elias

May 8, 2008 at 12:36 AM Post #1,570 of 3,058
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wavelength /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Matias,

Maybe a better test would be to do this and it's merly software:

WinAmp->DirectSount->USB input DAC1
WinAmp->ASIO->USB input DAC1

Beacuse if the sound card has a driver it may in it self discard the kmixer for it's own code.

The above example would prove if you hear the difference and considering how much rederact there is on the KMIXER... I am sure you will.

Thanks
Gordon

Gordon,

Thanks for your answer.
The ASIO plug-in, or any other ASIO application, works only with ASIO-compatible drivers. Benchmark DAC1's is not an ASIO-compatible driver, therefore it doesn't show as an option for me to select.
clipboard01sq4.jpg

If Benchmark could release an ASIO-compatible driver, it would solve the problem.
But then they couldn't advertise it as being plug-n-play anymore...

May 8, 2008 at 1:49 PM Post #1,571 of 3,058
Quote:

Originally Posted by Covenant /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm sorry if this question has been asked already, i read through the first 25pgs before i couldnt absorb information any longer
tongue.gif

I am considering purchasing a DAC1 for use in a balanced system, running the XLR outputs to a balanced B22 amplifier. One thing that AMB specifically cautions against with the B22 is to ensure that there is no DC offset at the source, as the amp design does not handle this well.

Mr Elias, does the DAC1 (USB or non-USB) measure any DC offset at its outputs, either unbalanced or balanced?

Thank you again for your time and patience. Its awesome to see a product in the (often snake-oil laden) audiophile industry so well backed up by the engineers who designed it, kudos to you
smily_headphones1.gif

The DC offset on any active output pin is on the order of 0.0005 V, or half a millivolt. When the attenuators are engaged on the XLR outputs, the DC offset is attenuated like-wise. In other words, if the 20 dB attenuators are engaged, the DC offset will be reduced by 20 dB or 90%. Therefore, the 0.5 millivolts will become 0.05 millivolts.

Thanks,
Elias

May 8, 2008 at 2:00 PM Post #1,572 of 3,058
Quote:

Originally Posted by Matias /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Gordon,

Thanks for your answer.
The ASIO plug-in, or any other ASIO application, works only with ASIO-compatible drivers. Benchmark DAC1's is not an ASIO-compatible driver, therefore it doesn't show as an option for me to select.

If Benchmark could release an ASIO-compatible driver, it would solve the problem.

Matias,

There is a free ASIO "wrap-around" that will enable ASIO-operation with the DAC1 USB. It is called ASIO4ALL. It allows you to interface the DAC1 USB to ASIO applications.

Thanks,
Elias

May 8, 2008 at 2:08 PM Post #1,573 of 3,058
Quote:

Originally Posted by furball /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi Elias,

I have 2 questions regarding the SPDIF/AES BNC input. The manual says that the DAC1 comes with a BNC-to-RCA adapter. It also says,

"TIP: Shielded 75-Ohm coaxial cable is highly recommended for stable performance. Do not use 50-Ohm cables."

My questions are,

1) do consumer grade coaxial cables have 75 ohm impedance of 50 ohm impedance?

2) With the supplied BNC-to-RCA adapter, does this mean that I can use a consumer grade coaxial cable to connect the coaxial out from my source to the coaxial in of the DAC1?

There are both 50-ohm and 75-ohm consumer-grade cables. Cheap cables will have wider tolerances. In other words, they may be anywhere from 65-85 ohm. Professional cables usually have tighter precision. We use (and sell) Canare and Mogami cable and connectors, as they are manufactured very well.

However, don't hesitate to use consumer grade 75-ohm RCA cables. They will introduce more jitter, but the UltraLock system will make any jitter a moot point.

Thanks,
Elias

May 8, 2008 at 6:57 PM Post #1,574 of 3,058
Quote:

Originally Posted by EliasGwinn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There is a free ASIO "wrap-around" that will enable ASIO-operation with the DAC1 USB. It is called ASIO4ALL. It will bypass kmixer.

It should be noted that there is nothing magical or special about the ASIO protocol for sending data to an audio device's driver...using it simply enables users to bypass the Windows kmixer when using an audio application. One could also use KernalStreaming to achieve the same result as using ASIO. The advantage to KernalStreaming (assuming it is supported by the sound device's driver) is that it does not require some Windows add-on like ASIO4ALL.

Please note than in Windows Vista kmixer has changed dramatically (and has been renamed to something else as a result...sorry I'm not sure what the new name is) and is no longer an audio quality compromise when it is part of the audio data chain. In other words, using ASIO or KernalStreaming in Windows Vista does not seem to provide any improvement over just using DirectSound (unlike in Windows XP, where using DirectSound output seems to have an audible effect on sound quality).

May 8, 2008 at 8:48 PM Post #1,575 of 3,058
Quote:

Originally Posted by Matias /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Gordon,

Thanks for your answer.
clipboard01sq4.jpg

Matias,

You can use generic ASIO drivers from:

ASIO4ALL: ASIO4ALL - Universal ASIO Driver
ASIO2KS: ASIO2KS - Generic ASIO driver for WDM soundcards.

These will let you use the DAC1 USB with ASIO and determine your output better.

Thanks
Gordon

Users who are viewing this thread

Back