Benchmark DAC1: Hate it?
May 31, 2006 at 8:51 AM Post #76 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
You won't hear it from me. I do prefer the Apogee MiniDAC in that price range, but I actually like the DAC-1 over the Lavry in one rig i heard - again, in the same price range, stock.

what goes better with hd650's, the DAC1 or Apogee? i heard the apogee is nicer, but also darker, don't know if that'd go well with the hd650's. I plan to buy one of these soon, either one of these or a Naim cd5i.

May 31, 2006 at 9:01 AM Post #77 of 80
Thanks. The D2 is not mine. I will have to ask my friend to lend it to me for this AB.

The mods that was done are not fancy ones - no OPA627, no Blackgates, no exotic regulators. They cost less than US$30.

I will pm you for the arrangements.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmk
Ruach, if you have the modded Zhaolu D2 available, sure, why not. You can send me a pm to arrange the camparison.

May 31, 2006 at 5:38 PM Post #78 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by ċãţ
what goes better with hd650's, the DAC1 or Apogee? i heard the apogee is nicer, but also darker, don't know if that'd go well with the hd650's. I plan to buy one of these soon, either one of these or a Naim cd5i.

The DAC1 goes well if you want to somewhat counteract the HD650's murkiness, whereas the Apogee presents the HD650 more as it is. Depends on what your goal with the HD650 is. Of course if the HD650 is too murky, it might be easier (and cheaper) to just change your headphones.

Jun 27, 2006 at 5:39 AM Post #79 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ferbose
When I find time I will post detailed impressions between Zhaolu and Benchmark.
I also got one more chance to compare them today on another head-fier's speaker setup with Harbeth Compact 7.
Both of us really liked Benhcmark directly into the Quad power amplifier.

Digging up an old thread, I did find time to post my comparison between Zhaolu D1.3 and Benchmark DAC1: http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=184153

I found Zhaolu to be as good as my PreSonus Central Station, but still a bit beind Benchmark. A very good value for its price, but I was disappointed that to my ears it was not a giant killer by any stretch of imagination. Otherwise I could sell DAC1, buy a Zhaolu, and us the savings to buy a K701 and some NOS tubes.

Jun 27, 2006 at 7:31 AM Post #80 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by bjackson
BTW, the system I'd be using it with possibly is a SB2 optical out -> Benchmark -> Sennheiser HD650

I have the DAC1 with a HD650, the combination has good synergy. With the K701, not as much. I like it, the only downside is that it is terribly revealing of every wart and flaw in your recordings, and you may not bear to listen to some of them any more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back