planning to buy a DAC-1

Setting it up this way

source (computer) into digital output from my chaintech av-710
going into the DAC-1
going into my amp: head-direct ef1
going into my cans: Denon AH-D2000

what do you guys think? this will be my first DAC

Sep 18, 2009 at 6:03 AM Post #2 of 8
Should work fine. Also consider trying it with and without the EF1 (DAC1 has headphone out). You may just decide you don't need it anymore, or that it may be used elsewhere
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 18, 2009 at 7:19 PM Post #4 of 8
Have not heard your cans but should be a nice leap up in enjoyment. And Shike is right you may be able to re-purpose the EF1 depending on what type sound you like.

Sep 18, 2009 at 8:03 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by niCe99 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
for sure

do you think it will be a great upgrade?

from my chaintech to that dac-1?

I'm not sure it's going to be a night and day difference, but there are definite technical improvements regardless.

Let's put it this way. After you get the DAC1 there's never really a need to upgrade your DAC again. You can, but improving beyond it is unlikely.

Hope that helps.

Sep 18, 2009 at 10:35 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by niCe99 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
planning to buy a DAC-1

Setting it up this way

source (computer) into digital output from my chaintech av-710
going into the DAC-1
going into my amp: head-direct ef1
going into my cans: Denon AH-D2000

what do you guys think? this will be my first DAC

The Benchmark dac is a superlative dac. I have been using a Benchmark USB dac for nearly 3 years now in my McIntosh system and very happy with the sound coming from the benchmark dac in to my Denon AH-D7000 headphones. Prefer the sound of headphones from the Benchmark over the McIntosh C220 preamp. Don't think you will be disappointed with your planned upgrade to a Benchmark dac. I am in the midst of putting the benchmark HDR in my system, replacing my McIntosh C220 preamp. Hope this helps with your upgrade plans.

Sep 18, 2009 at 11:40 PM Post #7 of 8
The older DAC 1 I tried had a pretty horrid headphone out, but I gather they've significantly improved this in recent times. It's still very likely that the EF-1 will be an improvement over it though. A number of people have said that it's worth putting a better tube in the EF-1 too.

Sep 19, 2009 at 12:16 AM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The older DAC 1 I tried had a pretty horrid headphone out, but I gather they've significantly improved this in recent times. It's still very likely that the EF-1 will be an improvement over it though. A number of people have said that it's worth putting a better tube in the EF-1 too.

The headphone out measures well and is more than sufficient for studio users. Sennheiser demo'd the HD800's out of the hp out of a DAC1. I'm not sure how good the original hp out was or what the changes were, if any, but the DAC1 is more than sufficient for nearly all uses requiring distortion-free, ruler-flat FR uses except K1000. Obviously, if you want a tubey flavor, you won't find it in the DAC1.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back