Bench vise to open &!## iQube?
Jul 7, 2008 at 7:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

wfranklin

100+ Head-Fier
Having worn out my thumbs trying to open the battery compartment on my iQube to replace the stock alkalines with some rechargeables, I'm about ready to use a bench vise to open it! Yes, I've watched the YouTube vid, and either he has much stronger thumbs than I, or my case tolerances are different than his, or ???

Any other suggestions for getting this thing open?

Jul 7, 2008 at 7:21 PM Post #2 of 22
If you can get one side lifted up but are having trouble with the other side you could do the same as I did and use a small business card or credit card as a wedge - something that won't scratch to hold open the lid. it makes it a little easier (imo) to crack open the other side. I believe Hans mentioned a similar concept using the plastic ipod levers ised for err.. Ipods.

Steve

Jul 7, 2008 at 7:21 PM Post #3 of 22
The issue isnt the strength of your thumbs, I think that's the fault of the video that it makes you believe it is about the strength.

You need to create an angle between your applied force and the opening. The video, I believe lacks the extensive explanation on this part.

One cannot simply apply a force that is perpendicular to the case.
One needs to apply a force that is at least 10-20 degrees away from the perpendicular or in extremes a force that is near parallel to how the case flips open.

Unfortunately, the only way I can get that 10-20 degrees was literally using my nails to create a crevice between the case and the main structure. After you see that crevice begin pushing down and away.

Jul 10, 2008 at 5:11 AM Post #4 of 22
Use a piece of cloth to increase your grip on the battery cover. A rag, t-shirt, hankerchief, it doesn't matter. With the cloth there is no need to press down hard at all, and it took me 2 mins on the first try.

Jul 10, 2008 at 5:16 AM Post #5 of 22
Turn it toward you as pictured in the instruction book. Use both thumbs to push the first side down and out as shown. Once that occurs, getting the other side unlocked is the trick. Close the first side back just slightly (still open though) and slide your fingernail into the crack on the opposite side. It's going to be a tight fit so work it in slowly. Once your fingernail is in, ziggle the first side and your finger nail will use up enough space to pop open the second side. Getting the first side opened and slightly loosened up is the key. It will work eventually. Ugh.

Jul 10, 2008 at 1:16 PM Post #6 of 22
Thanks, guys. Using a combo of your hints, finally got it open! (Too bad the darned rechargeables haven't arrived yet--I made the mistake of ordering the wrong size, AA, so I'm now waiting for some AAA's.)

Jul 10, 2008 at 1:26 PM Post #7 of 22
Then you must be afraid to close it up for use in the meantime......very afraid
tongue.gif

Jul 10, 2008 at 2:09 PM Post #8 of 22
Once you have opened it and figured out the technique, you should have little problem opening it again. Though it still takes some effort, it is easier.

Jul 10, 2008 at 8:35 PM Post #10 of 22
Reading this thread, I get the feeliing I'm watching a bombsquad.

Jul 10, 2008 at 10:35 PM Post #11 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by RAQemUP /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Reading this thread, I get the feeliing I'm watching a bombsquad.

Or some type of strange courting ritual.

Jul 11, 2008 at 3:36 PM Post #12 of 22
Not surprising. I wonder if a few of the FS I've seen for iQube have to do with frustration in getting the case open. I don't understand why the iQube isn't shipped with rechargeables installed in the first place. Pretty stupid. Still a great little amp though, so worth going through the hassle.

Jul 14, 2008 at 12:03 PM Post #13 of 22
No it's a rite of passage, like circumcission. Not for the timid (don't be fooled by the size of that little box). Once learned, you will be renamed 'Hans of the Netherlands', your nickname will be Qables, and you will have to live that down 'til the end of time, as you will be an immortal like the Highlander and have to acknowledge that Queen will reign forever!

Smile
smily_headphones1.gif
and love your iQube

Jul 14, 2008 at 12:15 PM Post #14 of 22
got mine shipped with rechargeablea but being suspicious by nature I had to open it to make sure LOL
Got it on third attempt within 5 minutes!
Anyone top that?

Jul 14, 2008 at 12:24 PM Post #15 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by hatethatgiraffe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
got mine shipped with rechargeablea but being suspicious by nature I had to open it to make sure LOL
Got it on third attempt within 5 minutes!
Anyone top that?

Nope, but I think I could have been faster had I read the instructions which says it is the bottom that opens, not the top..missed that fine point initally
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back