Belittle my taste in music!
May 20, 2007 at 10:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 44

chroot

Head-Fier
It seems more and more than trance music is regarded by snooty bandwagoners as the emo of the electronic world. It's almost inarguably the most popular sub-genre of electronica, yet many people who are deeply into music seem to think less of other people just because they enjoy a little trance.

So, tell me just how bad my taste in music is, ye of the bandwagon: one of my new favorite albums is Kyau and Albert's Worldvibe. I'll also admit to being totally, unrepentently hooked on anything from Anjunabeats. Do I suck? If so, exactly how badly do I suck?

- Warren

May 21, 2007 at 12:07 AM Post #3 of 44
hey, and don't forget that Tiesto was the first DJ ever to be invited to do the olympics
biggrin.gif

May 21, 2007 at 12:47 AM Post #4 of 44
Listen to what you want to listen to. If you like it that's all that matters. Every time I hear or see people belittling others because of the music they listen to, I am reminded of a song from a Band I love named 'Say Anything' the song is called 'Admit It!'. This is the song that reminds of those 'music snobs' out there who make fun of other people due to certain types of music they listen to. And without naming any names, there are indeed quite a few of those very people right here in the Head-Fi community.

Admit it!
Despite your pseudo-bohemian appearance
And vaguely leftist doctrine of beliefs,
You know nothing about art or sex
That you couldn’t read in any trendy New York underground fashion magazine.

Prototypical non-conformist,
You are a vacuous soldier of the thrift store Gestapo.
You adhere to a set of standards and tastes
That appear to be determined by an unseen panel of hipster judges (bulls**t).
Giving a thumbs up or thumbs down to incoming and outgoing trends and styles of music and art.
Go analog baby, you’re so post-modern.
You’re diving face forward into a antiquated path
It’s disgusting, its offensive, don’t stick your nose up at me.

Yeah, what do you have to say for yourself?
Whoah, whoah, whoah, whoah

You spend your time sitting in circles with your friends
Pontificating to each other.
Forever competing for that one moment of self-aggrandizing glory
In which you hog the intellectual spotlight.
Holding dominion over the entire shallow pointless conversation.
Oh, we’re not worthy
When you walk by a group of quote-unquote normal people
You chuckle to yourself patting yourself on the back as you scoff.
It's the same superiority complex
Shared by the high school jocks who made your life a living hell,
and makes you a slave to the competitive capitalist dogma
You spend every moment of your waking life bitching about.

And I say yeah, what do you have to say for yourself
Whoah, whoah, whoah, whoah

Cause I’m proud of my life and the things that I have done.
Proud of myself and the loner I’ve become.
You’re free to whine, it will not get you far.
I do just fine, my car and my guitar.

You are a faker (admit it)
You are a fraud (admit it)
Yeah, you’re living a lie (hey) living a lie (hey) you’re life is living a lie
You don’t impress me (admit it)
You don’t intimidate me (admit it)
Why don’t you bow down, get on the ground, walk this screw**g plank (yeah!)

May 21, 2007 at 6:16 PM Post #7 of 44
Good comment lmilhan!
And Chroot I love Kyau and Albert too, so if you suck so must I.
p.s. Like the subtle dig about 'bangwagoners'. Strange how some of these authorities on electronic music have only been listening for the last few years...

May 21, 2007 at 6:34 PM Post #8 of 44
You're only a fraud if you can't catch all the references from LCD Soundsystem's song, "I'm losing my edge." Or...you don't know who LCD Soundsystem is, hehe.

"[size=xx-small]Yeah, I'm losing my edge. I'm losing my edge. The kids are coming up from behind. I'm losing my edge. I'm losing my edge to the kids from France and from London. But I was there.[/size]
[size=xx-small]I was there in 1968. I was there at the first Can show in Cologne.I'm losing my edge. I'm losing my edge to the kids whose footsteps I hear when they get on the decks. I'm losing my edge to the Internet seekers who can tell me every member of every good group from 1962 to 1978. I'm losing my edge.[/size]
[size=xx-small]To all the kids in Tokyo and Berlin. I'm losing my edge to the art-school Brooklynites in little jackets and borrowed nostalgia for the unremembered eighties.[/size]
[size=xx-small]But I'm losing my edge. I'm losing my edge, but I was there. I was there. But I was there.[/size]
[size=xx-small]I'm losing my edge. I'm losing my edge. I can hear the footsteps every night on the decks. But I was there. I was there in 1974 at the first Suicide practices in a loft in New York City. I was working on the organ sounds with much patience. I was there when Captain Beefheart started up his first band. I told him, "Don't do it that way. You'll never make a dime." I was there. I was the first guy playing Daft Punk to the rock kids. I played it at CBGB's. Everybody thought I was crazy. We all know. I was there. I was there. I've never been wrong.[/size]
[size=xx-small]I used to work in the record store. I had everything before anyone. I was there in the Paradise Garage DJ booth with Larry Levan I was there in Jamaica during the great sound clashes. I woke up naked on the beach in Ibiza in 1988.[/size]
[size=xx-small]But I'm losing my edge to better-looking people with better ideas and more talent. And they're actually really, really nice.[/size]
[size=xx-small]I'm losing my edge.[/size]
[size=xx-small]I heard you have a compilation of every good song ever done by anybody. Every great song by the Beach Boys. All the underground hits. All the Modern Lovers tracks. I heard you have a vinyl of every Niagra record on German import. I heard that you have a white label of every seminal Detroit techno hit - 1985, '86, '87. I heard that you have a CD compilation of every good '60s cut and another box set from the '70s.[/size]
[size=xx-small]I hear you're buying a synthesizer and an arpeggiator and are throwing your computer out the window because you want to make something real. You want to make a Yaz record. I hear that you and your band have sold your guitars and bought turntables. I hear that you and your band have sold your turntables and bought guitars. I hear everybody that you know is more relevant than everybody that I know.[/size]
[size=xx-small]But have you seen my records? This Heat, Pere Ubu, Outsiders, Nation of Ulysses, Mars, The Trojans, The Black Dice, Todd Terry, the Germs, Section 25, Althea and Donna, Sexual Harrassment, a-ha, Pere Ubu, Dorothy Ashby, PIL, the Fania All-Stars, the Bar-Kays, the Human League, the Normal, Lou Reed, Scott Walker, Monks, Niagra, Joy Division, Lower 48, the Association, Sun Ra, Scientists, Royal Trux, 10cc, Eric B. and Rakim, Index, Basic Channel, Soulsonic Force ("just hit me"!), Juan Atkins, David Axelrod, Electric Prunes, Gil! Scott! Heron!, the Slits, Faust, Mantronix, Pharaoh Sanders and the Fire Engines, the Swans, the Soft Cell, the Sonics, the Sonics, the Sonics, the Sonics.[/size]
[size=xx-small]You don't know what you really want."[/size]

May 21, 2007 at 6:43 PM Post #9 of 44
^

Heh. There are some good hipster bashing lyrics in this thread.
biggrin.gif

I like Trance! I would say I'm not afraid to admit it. But wouldn't that be a justification that I'm really afraid to admit it? So really I am afraid to admit it.

Doesn't matter. Get older and it doesn't matter anymore. If it does, you're that older weird guy in the record store whose sense of accomplishment is achieved by berating teens who purchase Fall Out Boy.

May 21, 2007 at 6:45 PM Post #10 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by virometal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If it does, you're that older weird guy in the record store whose sense of accomplishment is achieved by berating teens who purchase Fall Out Boy.

My Hero!

High_Fidelity.jpg

May 21, 2007 at 7:16 PM Post #13 of 44
hm, i listen to mostly trance: the likes of paul van dyk and okenfold are my favourites as well as john 00 fleming and armin van buuren. personally i am mostly put off by things like rock etc probably as there have been few reasons to like it in the last 15 years as it has just become sleepy (to me).

of course classical and indian and jazz are great, but trance with its non-lyrical nature as well as complicated progression and damn hot electronic riffs is just what i need. lyrics are done soo poorly in other genre oftentimes that i cannot be anywhere near them. trance also puts you in a higher state of concsiousness as you have to keep up with it.

i've not heard of the op's favourites, whom are they? they must be new as im stuck in 2000-2003 at the moment listening to a state of trance radio show from about show 80-130 now. cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back