Bel Canto Dac3. Any info? Better than Benchmark Dac?
Jun 15, 2006 at 7:58 AM Post #16 of 103
Not liking the lack of a dedicated selector knob or switch for switching inputs.

prod_DAC3_front.jpg

prod_DAC3_back.jpg

I suppose Bel Canto likes having their e.One components looking identical, but for a $2000 component, a separate selector would be nice.

Jun 15, 2006 at 12:46 PM Post #17 of 103
Well my finger was on the paypal button for a DAC when I came across this thread. My, my what a beautiful piece. Methinks some patience is in order!

Has anyone gotten a somewhat "firm" release date on this beauty??

Jun 15, 2006 at 2:44 PM Post #18 of 103
I got an email from Bel Canto a few days ago, their sales team is very slow to reply to emails.

edit: sorry I reread my email and the exact words are "this will be shipping in the next month or two"

The sales team should a be a bit quicker with emails now, they were backed up with HE2006

I didn't ask permission from the rep if I could post this info here, so if a moderator feels I should take it down I will do that.

KenW: Edited my post. He didn't specify if the next month or two was from dealers or from Bel Cantos online store

Jun 15, 2006 at 3:20 PM Post #19 of 103
So if I read you correctly, dealers will be waiting for a couple more months but the dac can be had from bel canto direct in a few weeks??

Just checked their website and noted that they've got or are going to have an online store but so far, there's no way to add items to a virtual cart and I can't find mention of forms of payment. Guess we'll just have to keep watching and waiting?

Jun 15, 2006 at 3:20 PM Post #20 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by HugoFreire
Here's a short article about it.

haha...the random derogatory comment someone left made me spit out my coffee
icon10.gif

Jun 15, 2006 at 5:38 PM Post #21 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
Not liking the lack of a dedicated selector knob or switch for switching inputs.

I suppose Bel Canto likes having their e.One components looking identical, but for a $2000 component, a separate selector would be nice.

Its not a push to select button?

Jun 16, 2006 at 1:34 PM Post #22 of 103
Quote:

prod_DAC3_back.jpg

Yeah, I'm not so sure about the UI, but everything else about the DAC3 seems right on. I'd like to see this have 2 effects on the market:

1.) that USB inputs will start appearing on every DAC made, and
2.) the price of DAC 1.1s on Audiogon will fall into the toilet!

Jun 16, 2006 at 7:05 PM Post #23 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by clarke68
Yeah, I'm not so sure about the UI, but everything else about the DAC3 seems right on. I'd like to see this have 2 effects on the market:

1.) that USB inputs will start appearing on every DAC made, and

That trend is already strongly ongoing. But so few of them utilize USB to I2S internal connection, and THAT is what I wish for on every DAC ever made.

Jun 17, 2006 at 2:47 AM Post #24 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Pak
Wow even has USB input! I truly am amazed, kudos to Bel Canto for moving in the right direction
biggrin.gif

I would love to do their 30 trial and compare it with my DAC2

you're amazed they could find it in their infinite wisdom to put a usb input on a $2000 dac? why do headfi'ers love gear companies so much?

Jul 22, 2006 at 2:43 AM Post #25 of 103
Thew Bel Canto design is rather plain, but their products are definitely no-nonsense audiophile products. Their PL-1A has been a great addition to my 5.1 setup.

I just ordered the DAC3 b/c I want to see how it sounds compared to the analog outs on my PL-1A and my Esoteric D-03, which should be here any day. I'll report back. I'll probably just use the DAC3 for a week or so for testing, then unload it here at a head-fi friendly price.

Jul 22, 2006 at 3:03 AM Post #26 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sleestack

I just ordered the DAC3 b/c I want to see how it sounds compared to the analog outs on my PL-1A and my Esoteric D-03, which should be here any day. I'll report back. I'll probably just use the DAC3 for a week or so for testing, then unload it here at a head-fi friendly price.

Taking one for the team.

Nice!

smily_headphones1.gif

-Ed

Jul 22, 2006 at 3:07 AM Post #27 of 103
Quote:

Taking one for the team.

Nice!

smily_headphones1.gif

-Ed

Gladly. I just ordered 4 of their OneRef. 1000 monoblocks so their distributor will give me a great price on the DAC. I do wish their designs had more flare, but really can't argue with the quality and sound of their components.

Jul 31, 2006 at 7:07 AM Post #28 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon L
That trend is already strongly ongoing. But so few of them utilize USB to I2S internal connection, and THAT is what I wish for on every DAC ever made.

For my DAC-2, I made an interesting mod some time ago, since its optical receiver got damaged. Basically I soldered my M-Audio Sonica directly into the DAC-2.

Originally I had this:
M-Audio Digital Outputs ---> M-Audio Optical Transmitter ---> Optical Cable ---> DAC-2 Optical Receiver ---> DAC-2 Digital Inputs

Now I have the following:
M-Audio Digital Outputs ---> Wire ---> DAC-2 Digital Inputs

So I bypassed the whole digital-to-optical-to-digital step. Is this similar to what you guys are talking about?

Jul 31, 2006 at 7:22 AM Post #29 of 103
Quote:

Gladly. I just ordered 4 of their OneRef. 1000 monoblocks so their distributor will give me a great price on the DAC. I do wish their designs had more flare, but really can't argue with the quality and sound of their components.

LOL, when you line up most of their components from the front, it can become a fun game of guess which one is the DAC3?

Is it....

#1.
prod_eOneS300i_frontnopop_t.jpg

OR

#2.

OR

#3.

If you guessed #2, you're wrong!

It's #1.

See the back?

prod_DAC3_back.jpg

-Ed

Aug 19, 2006 at 11:04 PM Post #30 of 103
Quote:

Thew Bel Canto design is rather plain, but their products are definitely no-nonsense audiophile products. Their PL-1A has been a great addition to my 5.1 setup.

So, whatever happened with this? Did you ever get one? Inquiring minds want to know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back