Bel Canto DAC question
Jul 29, 2003 at 2:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

teknophyl

Head-Fier
Since I use component video cables with my Playstation 2, I am forced to use its digital optical output for sound. I also have a Headroom Little More Power so I've been looking for something that can convert a digital optical signal to two RCA outputs. From the little research I've done online, I need a DAC such as the Bel Canto DAC, Musical Fidelity A3 24, etc. So my question is, will a system like this (PS2->DAC->Headroom LMP) work even though some games are in Dolby Digital and not just regular two channel sound? Thanks.

Jul 29, 2003 at 4:27 AM Post #2 of 11
My guess is that you'll lose the center and rear information out of two channel DAC. Bel Canto DAC only have a set of analogue outs. Unless you can route the other channel information to the two front main. I doubt DAC itself automatically does the signal routing.

Aug 5, 2003 at 7:50 AM Post #3 of 11
Hmm, I think your first sentence answered my question but I don't think I understood the rest of your response...maybe I didn't explain my problem well enough. Lemme just restate in more detail the proposed system that I'm hoping to put together and maybe someone can tell me if it will work. Playstation 2 connected with a digital optical/ Toslink cable to Bel Canto DAC. DAC connected with left and right RCA cables to Headroom Little More Power amp. Headphones connected to amp (duh). Anyone know if this setup would work?
After a little more research online, I found out that I might need a preamp to go between the DAC and the Little More Power. So that would be PS2->DAC->preamp->headphone amp->headphones. The problem is, I have no clue what a preamp does even though I've heard of preamps before. This system is getting a little more complicated than I thought. If a preamp is essential, then I'll probably just scrap this whole idea and keep what I'm using now since I don't have a lot of money to spend. Thanks for any help.

Aug 5, 2003 at 3:08 PM Post #4 of 11
You won't need a preamp between the DAC and the Little More Power. In fact, if you had to, you could use the LMP as a preamp itself. The Bel Canto output a two channel line-level signal, which is just what the LMP is looking for.

The real issue is the output capabilities of Playstation 2, which I have no clue about. If it can output two channel PCM audio via S/PDIF digital interface, you're home. PS2->Bel Canto->LMP->headphone. If the PS2 cannot downconvert Dolby Digital to PCM, then the Bel Canto won'd be able to decode the signal at all (however, I strongly suspect that the PS2 will have this capability, in which case you're fine).

However, I'd be remiss if I didn't point out that a DAC2 is a bit of overkill for this system. To fully utilize it, you're going to need a better transport and a better amp. In the setup you're going for, you'd be better off with something like an ART DI/O, which sells for a fraction of the price of the Bel Canto. Even without mods, the DI/O is a good DAC (high output gain, so you'll need to keep the volume really low on your amp, or use attenuators). If you get the urge to solder, the DI/O can be upgraded to very good performance, but you may not need to go that far.

Aug 5, 2003 at 4:37 PM Post #5 of 11
Actually, I'm not looking for a Bel Canto DAC2, I'm looking for a used DAC1, but that still might be overkill for this system. Anyhow, the ART DIO was the very first DAC that I thought of, but I didn't go for it because I was convinced it doesn't have the inputs and outputs that I need. I've been looking for pictures of the back panel of the DIO to see what kind of connections it has, but I haven't been able to find any. From the specs that I've read, it doesn't have a Toslink input or RCA analog outputs, right? Those are the ones I need.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 5, 2003 at 5:13 PM Post #6 of 11
Yeah the ART DI/O only has coax inputs so you'd need a optical -> coax convertor. It also has 1/4" jacks which you could get an adaptor to go to RCA female.

Aug 5, 2003 at 6:05 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by teknophyl
Actually, I'm not looking for a Bel Canto DAC2, I'm looking for a used DAC1, but that still might be overkill for this system. Anyhow, the ART DIO was the very first DAC that I thought of, but I didn't go for it because I was convinced it doesn't have the inputs and outputs that I need. I've been looking for pictures of the back panel of the DIO to see what kind of connections it has, but I haven't been able to find any. From the specs that I've read, it doesn't have a Toslink input or RCA analog outputs, right? Those are the ones I need.
smily_headphones1.gif

You might want to keep an eye on Ebay and Audiogon. DACs lose value very quickly, and there are some very nice sounding DAC's from several years ago that can be had for pennies on the dollar of their original price. Many will have the optical input that you're looking for, and all should have RCA outputs.

Aug 5, 2003 at 7:04 PM Post #8 of 11
True Hirsch, used dacs can be found quite cheaply, but in my (admitedly limited) experience with older dacs, Í've found even today's lower end models beat older ones quite handily. I think the bel canto idea sounds like a good one. By the time you buy the necessary converters and adapters, you'll be pushing $200. Remember though, you'll lose the surround information/processing in games(although that doesn't sound like a priority for you).

Aug 5, 2003 at 8:15 PM Post #9 of 11
I think I'd rather take the simplicity and performance of the Bel Canto over the affordability, and the slew of adaptors/converters I would need for the ART DIO. And yeah, I don't mind losing the surround channels for games that are in 5.1. After playing the really ambience-heavy games like Silent Hill 2 and Ico, I'd much rather take sheer sound clarity and detail over surround sound. Thanks for the help everybody, all I have to do now is go to my nearest Bel Canto dealer and audition a DAC and see what it's like.

Aug 5, 2003 at 9:25 PM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by andrzejpw
True Hirsch, used dacs can be found quite cheaply, but in my (admitedly limited) experience with older dacs, Í've found even today's lower end models beat older ones quite handily. I think the bel canto idea sounds like a good one. By the time you buy the necessary converters and adapters, you'll be pushing $200. Remember though, you'll lose the surround information/processing in games(although that doesn't sound like a priority for you).

The Bel Canto DAC 2 runs about $1200. If lucky, one can be found for $1K used. It's simply overkill for a playstation. A used Bel Canto DAC 1.0 or 1.1 would likely be more than enough, and much less expensive. And neither of those is going to sound bad.

Aug 5, 2003 at 10:43 PM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by teknophyl
I think I'd rather take the simplicity and performance of the Bel Canto over the affordability, and the slew of adaptors/converters I would need for the ART DIO. And yeah, I don't mind losing the surround channels for games that are in 5.1. After playing the really ambience-heavy games like Silent Hill 2 and Ico, I'd much rather take sheer sound clarity and detail over surround sound. Thanks for the help everybody, all I have to do now is go to my nearest Bel Canto dealer and audition a DAC and see what it's like.

Bel Canto DAC2 is excellent for the price, indeed. But, Hirsch is right you can be get away with Channel Island DAC/PS and be happy with it. ( this does not need any adaptors either )
BTW, the sound of DAC1 and DAC1.1 are similar to CI but more resolution.
DAC2 is different from ground up and I much prefer this one over any of their previous iterations.
FWIW, Play station transport is said to be exellent one.

I should put mine up for sale. They are collecting dust in the basement.
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back