Being an audiophile would make you a better musician?
Dec 23, 2010 at 3:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

aroldan

100+ Head-Fier
As an audiophile would make more accurate critics to music, can he/she become a better musician? What do you think?

Dec 24, 2010 at 2:28 AM Post #4 of 11
I think being a musician makes me a better audiophile, not the other way around.  I think I instinctively pay attention to details in a recording more than a non-musician.  But I cant say this works the other way around. 

Dec 24, 2010 at 2:52 AM Post #5 of 11
I think doing sound engineering makes me a better musician and vice versa.  I think being an audiophile just lets me enjoy my music and really be able to appreciate all the nuances of "good" music.

Dec 24, 2010 at 8:03 AM Post #6 of 11
Well, in my experience I think I've got a little improvement on my pianistic skills. I've been practicing piano for a while but after I started buying better equipment I've been able to discern subtle details on some of my piano recordings that make me pay attention to those things when I play the piano.

Dec 24, 2010 at 8:08 PM Post #8 of 11
I think it's the other way around, as well. Being a musician makes you a better audiophile.

As an audiophile only, you don't have a frame of reference to compare sound quality. You might like something that sounds really unnatural.

But a musician will compare gear against personal experience. The converse is not true. If you like a pair of colored headphones and then start playing the bassoon, you're not going to think, "hey this bassoon sounds wrong." You're going to realize that your headphones don't sound like real life.

Also, being a musician gives you a deeper understanding and appreciation of music. You will pick up a bit of music theory and an understanding of composition when you play an instrument. If you're fortunate enough to have a good teacher who explains the music as well as the company of other players to learn from, your understanding of music will soar.

Sitting around listening to gear teaches you almost nothing.

So if you want to improve your appreciation of music and get some insight into which headphones sound natural and which sound colored, start playing an instrument. It'll make you a much better audiophile.

Dec 25, 2010 at 7:07 PM Post #11 of 11
Being a musician colored my way of listening to music.
You know better what is happening.

I don't think it makes me a better drummer in any way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back