Behringer SRC2496 Converter
Dec 19, 2006 at 4:49 AM Post #2 of 34
from looking around the net it appears to have an AKM 4393 DAC in it... so the same as the DEQ2496... so its probably a pretty decent dac... the behringers have a lot of potential if you upgrade the output stage... there is a lot of talk about the behringer SRC2496/DEQ2496/DCX2496 i personally love the sound of it but of course everyone has an opinion... the DAC-AH is also a NOS dac... which most of the ones i have heard have been kind of dissapointing, but again thats just me...

behringer also gets ripped a lot because since its cheap it must be crap... but they make some very nice products... and they make some pretty horrible products that i would never wish on anyone... their digital products are quite excellent IMHO

here is a comparison someone did with the SRC2496 vs DAC1

http://db.audioasylum.com/cgi/t.mpl?f=digital&m=119849

Dec 19, 2006 at 10:12 AM Post #3 of 34
A chap I know seriously rates them, thinks it's better than a NOS and claims that with minor mods gave a DAC1 a good pasting. I've never heard the two side by side, so can't comment from experience, but the chap in question is very reliable and I'd be surprised if he's talking BS for the hell of it. He does also have at least one other dac and a Quad 99, so it's not that he's deliberately overrating his primary source.

I've heard his SRC2496 against my Bel Canto DAC2. Have to say that it was MUCH closer than it should be for the money. The DAC2 has slightly better involvement, but if I were more strapped for cash, I could more than happily live with the SRC.

Dec 19, 2006 at 6:46 PM Post #4 of 34
Its Pete your talking about and is other dac is or was the Dac-Ah. Unfortunately it gave up on him and he's still trying to find out why.

Heard both the Dac-Ah and the SRC. Didnt have a long enough listen to the SRC so cant really comment, but the Dac-Ah i loved albeit this was a modded one by Pete. It gave a lovely depth to the music with solid drums and bass that sounded almost in the room. I think Pete does prefer the Dac-Ah to the SRC but then again i dont think he had done much modding to it when i heard it.
I have the Behringer DEQ2496 which transformed my system from a boomy and sibilant mess. The SRC could well be a near future upgrade me thinks. Jim.

Dec 19, 2006 at 6:54 PM Post #5 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by jimholt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Its Pete your talking about and is other dac is or was the Dac-Ah. Unfortunately it gave up on him and he's still trying to find out why.

Heard both the Dac-Ah and the SRC. Didnt have a long enough listen to the SRC so cant really comment, but the Dac-Ah i loved albeit this was a modded one by Pete. It gave a lovely depth to the music with solid drums and bass that sounded almost in the room. I think Pete does prefer the Dac-Ah to the SRC but then again i dont think he had done much modding to it when i heard it.
I have the Behringer DEQ2496 which transformed my system from a boomy and sibilant mess. The SRC could well be a near future upgrade me thinks. Jim.

the dac in your DEQ is the same as the SRC

also in my post i fogot to finish my sentence

there is a lot of talk about the behringer SRC2496/DEQ2496/DCX2496 on the diyaudio message boards... modding, schematics etc

Dec 19, 2006 at 8:45 PM Post #7 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jo6Pak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I decided to take a chance and just placed an order for one (SRC2496).
$130 w/free shipping at SameDayMusic.

Let us know how you get on and hope you like it. If it's any consolation the dac in the DEQ2496 was as good as the one in my Eastsound E5. My friend said the SRC has a better dac than the DEQ, dont know whether this is right or wrong. Jim.

Dec 20, 2006 at 3:21 PM Post #8 of 34
Quote:

Let us know how you get on and hope you like it. If it's any consolation the dac in the DEQ2496 was as good as the one in my Eastsound E5. My friend said the SRC has a better dac than the DEQ, dont know whether this is right or wrong. Jim.

the DAC itself, no, they both use the AKM AK4393 IC... but the output/analog stage could be different in the SRC vs the DEQ, different power supply, and so on... so it could definately sound different/better...

I am also interested in hearing what you think of it
biggrin.gif

would definately be a lot more inviting to rip apart and modify something that is $130 instead of $350
wink.gif

Dec 20, 2006 at 6:43 PM Post #9 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by flecom /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the DAC itself, no, they both use the AKM AK4393 IC... but the output/analog stage could be different in the SRC vs the DEQ, different power supply, and so on... so it could definately sound different/better...

I am also interested in hearing what you think of it
biggrin.gif

would definately be a lot more inviting to rip apart and modify something that is $130 instead of $350
wink.gif

Yes perhaps that is right as the SRC is an upsampler dac and the DEQ is an equaliser, there should be better components for da/ad conversion.

If you make your way over to the Zerogain forum Zanash is the man to ask about mods ,and his cables are top notch too. Jim.

Dec 20, 2006 at 8:37 PM Post #11 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jo6Pak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I decided to take a chance and just placed an order for one (SRC2496).
$130 w/free shipping at SameDayMusic.

Keep us posted on your inpressions
icon10.gif
I'm thinking about getting one to replace my entech. I think guitar center might price match, if they have it in stock.

rs1smile.gif
rs1smile.gif

Dec 20, 2006 at 8:47 PM Post #12 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by salmon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have had AKM 4393 in Zhaolu D1.1 , it is not good converter, I don´t liked the sound, sound is too digital.

Do you mean it sounded thin or harsh or something else because mine just sounds sort of right really. The DEQ is used in my system for room treatment to get rid of bass boom and a rather harsh top end.

Many component buiders use the same dac chip but use other bits and pieces around it which gives it its sound signiture. The better components the better the sound. They all work on a certain budget at the end of the day.

I would think Behringer put better components in the SRC to improve the output for Digital to analoge conversion as this is its priority. Jim.

Dec 20, 2006 at 8:56 PM Post #13 of 34
Quote:

I would think Behringer put better components in the SRC to improve the output for Digital to analoge conversion as this is its priority. Jim.

And the priority of other DACs is what?

Dec 20, 2006 at 9:32 PM Post #14 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by ezkcdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And the priority of other DACs is what?

Up to them isn't it. If you read my post properly you will see i am comparing my DEQ to the SRC. As the SRC is an upsampler da/ad i would presume it would have better components in the input or output stages in the dac area. Certainly my DEQ was up to my Esounds dac which is no slouch. Jim.

Dec 20, 2006 at 11:11 PM Post #15 of 34
Quote:

Yes perhaps that is right as the SRC is an upsampler dac and the DEQ is an equaliser, there should be better components for da/ad conversion.

If you make your way over to the Zerogain forum Zanash is the man to ask about mods ,and his cables are top notch too. Jim.

well the DA itself is the same, the AK4393... the analog filter stage and such might be different... but thats mostly opamps and such, and i doubt its much different...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back