Behringer PowerPlay Pro-XL HA4700
Aug 20, 2010 at 6:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Kloug

Head-Fier
This is to anybody that has the Behringer HA4700 Headphone Amp. I want to know how is the sound quality and the power output of this amp? And, especially, I want to know how good are the BASS and TREBLE controls?

I saw in the specs that these controls works at these frequencies :

- BASS : +/-12 dB @ 200 Hz
- TREBLE : +/-12 dB @ 6 kHz

This seems ackward since most BASS/TREBLE controls act at 100 Hz and 10 kHz. So I am wondering how the HA4700's bass and treble controls sounds in real life.

Thanks for your help.

Aug 20, 2010 at 9:37 PM Post #2 of 5
I doubt that you'll find anyone here using that amp. Do you just need any inexpensive amp with multiple outs? The PreSonus HP4 would be my top choice.

http://www.presonus.com/products/Detail.aspx?ProductId=20

Aug 28, 2010 at 4:08 AM Post #3 of 5

Quote:
I doubt that you'll find anyone here using that amp. Do you just need any inexpensive amp with multiple outs? The PreSonus HP4 would be my top choice.

http://www.presonus.com/products/Detail.aspx?ProductId=20

Hi GreatDane.

First I was considering the Behringer AMP800, but I finally bought the HA4700 model. At more than twice the price, I hoped it would be better than the AMP800, especially because of the built-in toroidal power transformer. Unfortunately, the HA4700 is really not a good piece of audio equipement. Sure, it is VERY loud and can drive even my old Realistic PRO-30 orthodynamic to insanely high levels. But that's almost all it seems to be capable of.

The major problem I can't forgive from this amp is noise. There is a “hum” noise in the audio signal, clearly audible even when all the control levels are lowered and no cables connected. This noise is still audible when listening to quiet music at low to moderate level.

What surprises me a lot, is that my cheap Samsung HTiB receiver’s headphone output is doing MUCH better than the HA4700, with no noise at all and a really enjoyable musical sound. I'm talking here about a 300$ system that includes a upconverting DVD player, a multi-channel receiver with DD an DTS decoder, a tuner, a wireless amp for rear channels and 5 speakers plus a subwoofer. Isnt it supposed to be the lowest crap available when it comes to sound quality? It seems that Samsung has put an excellent headphone amp in this low range system.

Anyway, I was wondering if the Behringer AMP800 has any "hum" or noise like the HA4700. Maybe the AMP800 is better designed, but now I'm afraid of the Behringer brand. The only other multi-channel headphone amp I want to try is the PreSonus HP-4. If it fails my expectations, I will stick to my Samsung.

Aug 28, 2010 at 4:15 AM Post #4 of 5

Quote:
This is to anybody that has the Behringer HA4700 Headphone Amp. I want to know how is the sound quality and the power output of this amp? And, especially, I want to know how good are the BASS and TREBLE controls?

I saw in the specs that these controls works at these frequencies :

- BASS : +/-12 dB @ 200 Hz
- TREBLE : +/-12 dB @ 6 kHz

This seems ackward since most BASS/TREBLE controls act at 100 Hz and 10 kHz. So I am wondering how the HA4700's bass and treble controls sounds in real life.

Thanks for your help.

This is a response to anyone wondering about these tone controls : they are useless (for me). The BASS controls the upper bass range and the TREBLE controls the lower treble range. I would have liked a much lower frequency bass control and a much higher frequency treble control.

Mar 3, 2013 at 3:28 PM Post #5 of 5
I've been annoyed as hell with the noise from this amp.  I figured out using use a ground lift adapter on the power cable to bypass earth.  My noise was from the computer and the headphone amp being connected to the mixer.  Once I disconnected all cables from the computer to my mixer the noise went away.  The only solution I found was using a ground lift.  I don't see where that will be a problem.  The crazy thing is all my stuff is powered from a Monster power conditioner which didn't solve the problem either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back