Behringer MS-40 vs. M-Audio AV-40
Dec 8, 2009 at 6:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

quane

100+ Head-Fier
Fair enough, which one is the best? If you know better ones (up to £100-150 max) then suggest away.
Either of these will be used with a computer (but if you suggest other speakers, it doesn't matter if they're passive but be careful about the price) and will mostly be used for Music (70%), Movies (25%) and Games (5%) but music is definitely the most important. I mainly listen to a lot of Trance, and very, very little of anything else (and that is mostly other styles of Dance e.g. House, Electro). Bass isn't really important but I still prefer quite bassy speakers.

Dec 8, 2009 at 9:33 PM Post #2 of 12
For this price range I hear the Stereoengine A2's are quite bassy but I have no personal experience; you might want to check them out. Actually I'm about to post a topic looking for speaker advice as well.

Dec 9, 2009 at 1:01 AM Post #3 of 12
Don't you mean Audioengine A2?

I read a comparison between AV-40's and A2's and the AV-40's were slightly better in that person's opinion. And for me it would be more advantageous getting AV-40's since I can get them locally and they're about £20 cheaper and I'm almost 90% certain that even the difference between A2 and AV-40's won't be significant enough for me to go through all the trouble in getting the A2's.

But still, any more opinions, advantages, disadvantages etc?

Dec 9, 2009 at 8:54 PM Post #4 of 12
bump

Dec 9, 2009 at 10:47 PM Post #5 of 12
I haven't heard the Behringer MS-40, but I can tell you that their Truth Series (2030a and 2031a) are great sounding end economical powered monitors. Their bass isn't that deep, but they go well with a sub (and Behringer's own 2092a is a bargain monster in that department). But Behringer once had many quality issues, which though they have been largely resolved, causes many people to be down on them. Others don't like Behringer based solely on how inexpensive they are. The Audioengines are good in the bass department, they have a sort of built-in eq to get more lows.

Dec 10, 2009 at 12:16 AM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by islewind /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I haven't heard the Behringer MS-40, but I can tell you that their Truth Series (2030a and 2031a) are great sounding end economical powered monitors. Their bass isn't that deep, but they go well with a sub (and Behringer's own 2092a is a bargain monster in that department). But Behringer once had many quality issues, which though they have been largely resolved, causes many people to be down on them. Others don't like Behringer based solely on how inexpensive they are. The Audioengines are good in the bass department, they have a sort of built-in eq to get more lows.

The "Truth Series" you mentioned sadly are far out of my budget and now I'm having a dilemma, since some people say that AV-40's are better while others (fewer people though) say that Behringer are better. But people mainly say they're different and it's sort of hard to compare them. Since I'm currently using Logitech X-230's I'm pretty darn sure that anything I get (either AV or MS 40's) will be day and night from these so I guess any one of them are good. I'll try to audition both though.

Also for someone with more brain that myself - say I bought a separate sub later on in the year, is it possible to connect it to both AV-40's and MS-40's? Well what I'm basically asking is if there are the connections required to connect a sub on both speakers?

Dec 10, 2009 at 5:03 PM Post #7 of 12
bump

Dec 11, 2009 at 8:25 AM Post #8 of 12
bump

Dec 11, 2009 at 1:37 PM Post #9 of 12
bump -.-

Dec 15, 2009 at 3:09 PM Post #10 of 12
Right, thanks for everyone's advice but there's a few days left.

Now the fight is mainly going on between - Behringer MS-40 and M-Audio AV-40

Dec 18, 2009 at 5:26 AM Post #11 of 12
Havent heard the others, but i got the M-Audio Av-40 from Guitar Center, for my sister last year. They sound great when driven well. It has a bass boost in the back, and when you flip the switch it amps the bass pretty well for most music. Hardly need a sub really.
fills the room like a home stereo, but i dont know how it compares, but i dont think youd be sorry with them.

Dec 18, 2009 at 3:45 PM Post #12 of 12
M-Audio 40's are amazing, got them today. And the bass on them is alright, obviously not as good as with sub but still - plenty
biggrin.gif
Currently listening to some Hardstyle just to do a slight bass test and I can feel vibrations on my table and the floor
biggrin.gif

Thanks for everyone's opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back