Beginning Audiophile seeks help with SACD and HeadRoom Desktop Amp.
Oct 27, 2007 at 8:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

stick

New Head-Fier
Hullo all

New to the forums, really hoping that some of you might be able to give a newbie some advice.

First my equipment: This all started when I was blown away by Shure's SE530's that I got for my iPod, soon after I was lusting after other stuff, and well, it's been all downhill from there. Currently I have a HeadRoom Desktop Amp fully pimped out including max DAC and Powersupply. I listen through AKG 701's For dedicated audio source I just purchased a Denon Super Audio CD player (DVD-2930CI) However, as I understand it from the Denon manual and from searching the forums here, I am unable to utilize the SACD format because it can't transfer it via optical to my HeadRoom amp, but requires no less than 6 outputs! One of which is a subwoofer!

Looking on the back of my Headroom amp, I don't have that many inputs. I am looking for suggestions on what to do here, or even some background on what my best bet is. Ultimately, the Denon is a stopgap until I have enough money to afford a Rega Saturn, but I would still like to know more about how to get the best out of my equipment.

I know the equipment I have is not the best, But I'm new at this. Any help resolving this problem would be appreciated.

Many Thanks for helping a newbie
Stick

Oct 27, 2007 at 9:52 PM Post #2 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by stick /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hullo all

New to the forums, really hoping that some of you might be able to give a newbie some advice.

First my equipment: This all started when I was blown away by Shure's SE530's that I got for my iPod, soon after I was lusting after other stuff, and well, it's been all downhill from there. Currently I have a HeadRoom Desktop Amp fully pimped out including max DAC and Powersupply. I listen through AKG 701's For dedicated audio source I just purchased a Denon Super Audio CD player (DVD-2930CI) However, as I understand it from the Denon manual and from searching the forums here, I am unable to utilize the SACD format because it can't transfer it via optical to my HeadRoom amp, but requires no less than 6 outputs! One of which is a subwoofer!

Looking on the back of my Headroom amp, I don't have that many inputs. I am looking for suggestions on what to do here, or even some background on what my best bet is. Ultimately, the Denon is a stopgap until I have enough money to afford a Rega Saturn, but I would still like to know more about how to get the best out of my equipment.

I know the equipment I have is not the best, But I'm new at this. Any help resolving this problem would be appreciated.

Many Thanks for helping a newbie
Stick

You can listen to the SACD player as 2 channel analog output. You will have the option of setting the Denon to 2 channel - bypass the external DAC and use the analog inputs on the amp.

Oct 27, 2007 at 10:55 PM Post #3 of 12
First of all, congrats on assembling a terrific system!

Secondly, you can use your player in all modes with the HR amp. You just have to connect it two ways:

1. With a digital (optical or coaxial) cable to the appropriate HR amp inputs. This connection, which utilizes the Max DAC, will work for standard Redbook CD's & DVD-Audio discs, but not for SACD's.

2. With a pair of analog cables from the L & R 2-channel outputs from the Denon to the corresponding analog inputs on the HR amp. This connection, which uses the Denon's internal DAC, can be used for both SACD, DVD-A, and Redbook discs.

Just insert the disc, select the desired input (with the above restrictions in mind) on the HR amp, and listen away!

Oct 27, 2007 at 11:22 PM Post #4 of 12
The Denon manual should tell you exactly which two outputs to use for normal 2-channel stereo analog output.
And, they have a pretty good SACD DAC in them already, too.

Oct 27, 2007 at 11:39 PM Post #5 of 12
Nice rig. Go buy some music!

See ya
Steve

Oct 28, 2007 at 5:06 AM Post #6 of 12
Thanks all for your help

Here is the dilly now, for those that are interested, along with some questions, which I'll post here unless an administrator wants me to post them elsewhere.

As it stand right now, I only have one DVD Audio disc. NIN "With Teeth" and even it is in a "Dual Disc" format. I've listened to it on both the CD and DVD sides, and I do hear a difference, the DVD sound fuller, the reverberations seem better and the bass sounds slightly better and more dynamic. I must admit I was hoping for a bit more out of the format but this could be a combination of the "Dual Disc" format, the style of music and the equipment I am using.

What I would like to know is, I was under the impression that Optical connections were superior to that of the typical (one could say stereotypical
biggrin.gif
) red and white analogue outputs. Is this not the case?

Seeing as I can only listen to the disc through analogue outputs, I've unhooked my optical cable, The Denon player gives me the option to shutdown the video signal, digital signal and even the display to just pump the audio signal. To be completely honest I really don't hear any difference. Again this could just be that particular music or disc, is shutting down everything but the audio signal something that people recommend?

My last question is does anyone know a good place over the internet that ships to canada that sells SACD or DVD audio?

Many thanks to all responders for the help,

Stick

Oct 28, 2007 at 9:27 AM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by stick /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What I would like to know is, I was under the impression that Optical connections were superior to that of the typical (one could say stereotypical
biggrin.gif
) red and white analogue outputs. Is this not the case?

No, they aren't directly comparable. Optical is digital and RCA is analog. Connecting the Denon to your HeadRoom via optical or coaxial digital cables will allow you to use the HeadRoom's built-in DAC (digital-to-analog converter), while using a RCA pair from the Denon will mean that the Denon's DAC is doing the work. You may find that one source's output section sounds better than another, but it's not guaranteed that it will be the one receiving digital input.

Quote:

Originally Posted by stick
Seeing as I can only listen to the disc through analogue outputs, I've unhooked my optical cable, The Denon player gives me the option to shutdown the video signal, digital signal and even the display to just pump the audio signal. To be completely honest I really don't hear any difference. Again this could just be that particular music or disc, is shutting down everything but the audio signal something that people recommend?

Yeah, pure audio modes are recommended, but not essential. As you say, the difference is very small, and possibly inaudible in many cases.

Quote:

Originally Posted by stick
My last question is does anyone know a good place over the internet that ships to canada that sells SACD or DVD audio?

Amazon.ca carries a fair selection, if you have some titles in mind. Elusive Disc has a pretty large selection.

Oct 28, 2007 at 12:24 PM Post #8 of 12
One of the strange parts about SACD is that the licensing prohibits the output of a digital signal from the player. You can only get analog SACD music to exit your player.

It was done this way I believe to prevent copying the digital data like with do with CDs. It also prevents the use of a cheaper "universal player" combined with a nice DAC to outclass an expensive SACD box.

I have a nice Denon player too, I put it into a HT system though. SACDs are available, but limited artists, and style. I would rather put my energy elsewhere. I am one of those assuming this format will pass at some point.

Oct 28, 2007 at 2:41 PM Post #9 of 12
As general comment, you most likely would hear no clear difference between using the Denon's own internal DAC vs the Max Dac in the HR Desktop when playing regular CD's. I have the same model Desktop as you, and frankly was never convinced of the advantages of using the Desktop's DAC unless you are using a cheap DVD transport with a lower quality DAC. Most dedicated audio CD/SACD or universal players actually have very good DACs. That's not to say that improvements can't be had with an external DAC, but you would have to move up to something like a Benchmark DAC1 or equivalent to hear a difference. I bought a DAC1-USB about 5 months ago and do hear a clear improvement of it over any internal DAC in the CD players I own and the HR Max DAC.

Oct 28, 2007 at 10:27 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bones13 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One of the strange parts about SACD is that the licensing prohibits the output of a digital signal from the player. You can only get analog SACD music to exit your player.

That situation has changed.

The $180.00 Oppo 980 can output the native DSD datastream of SACD via its HDMI v1.3 digital output....and $400.00 HT receivers such as Yamaha's 661 can decode the native DSD datastream using its internal DAC. The paradigm has shifted and I can see external DSD DAC becoming available soon.

Oct 29, 2007 at 5:57 AM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by soundboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The paradigm has shifted and I can see external DSD DAC becoming available soon.

Hopefully... But I see manufacturers dragging this out. Yamaha, Pioneer, Denon, and Onkyo are the only companies who seem to care about incorporating high-res audio (iLink, HDMI 1.3a, etc.) into their receiver line-ups. Since they're not usually in the standalone DAC market, the DAC companies must figure out for themselves how to incorporate both DSD and HDMI into designs that have remained mostly unchanged for over a decade now.

But still... I hope that someone will come along with a nice all-in-one DAC without an astronomical price tag. Throw in HDCD and everyone will be happy.
biggrin.gif

Oct 29, 2007 at 6:43 AM Post #12 of 12
Just wanted to say thanks for all the help and suggestions you guys and gals have posted. Have a question about CD quality but since that's not a dedicated source componant, I'll post it elsewhere.

Cheers
stick

ps. I posted a question in music, if any of you can lend a hand that would be great. Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back