Beginners Rig
Dec 18, 2008 at 8:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

pyramid6

100+ Head-Fier
I'm looking for a good starters amp and headphones.

Mostly want to listen to classical, some trance [mostly bored with trance].

I have Grado SR60 that I like, didn't like the PX-100.

I like the look of tube amps, but I have never heard one.

I can spend as much as I want, but I'm not going to spend thousands of dollars to begin with.

I like the look of the WooAudio 3 and AKG K701, but that may be more than I should spend to start with.

My source is lossless codecs and I have a DAC. I should not need a preamp.

And, I'm not looking for anything portable.

So what should I start with?

Dec 18, 2008 at 8:34 PM Post #2 of 13
Hay Pyramid6,
I myself am saving for the Raptor by RS Audio, but like me, this is maybe outside the price range right now. My other suggestion would be to look at the Little Dot series of amps, thought they are not portable, especially the LD MkIII. These are great amps for the price. I have just bought the SR80s and love them so I know the sound you like, and yes, they are great with classical music. For slightly more money, (around 400) you could get the portable Micro Amp from Headroom or the Hornet/Tomahawk from RS audio. Hope that gives you some direction.
Happy tunes and oh yeah, sorry about you wallet!
Kevin

Dec 18, 2008 at 8:48 PM Post #3 of 13
I don't want to spend $200 now and $500 dollars an month from now. I would rather spend $700 now. 'course I'll probably still spend $500 a month from now too, but that is beside the point.
wink.gif

Dec 18, 2008 at 8:53 PM Post #4 of 13
What DAC are you using? Also what kind of music do you primarily listen to? That'll help determine which headphones/amp might create the best sound signature for your music.

Dec 18, 2008 at 8:56 PM Post #5 of 13
Perhaps the Ray Samuels XP-7 with the power supply, this is right at 700. Do you want headphone and amp at around 700, or do you plan to use the SR60s now and buy another pair of headphones latter?

Dec 18, 2008 at 9:05 PM Post #6 of 13
I have a H/K receiver that I'm going to use as a DAC. I listen to progressive and melodic trance mostly, but I have gotten bored with it lately. I want to get into classical music. I really like Beethoven's symphonies. Also, Yo-yo Ma's cello sounds interesting. Probably some Listz and maybe a little Mozart. I'll probably throw in a lot of brass too.

Edit: I think I can get better sound by buying a new amp and new headphones.

Dec 18, 2008 at 9:09 PM Post #7 of 13
The 701 is a great phone for classical, and I like it for just about everything. If you are looking at the 701 or Grados or anything else low impedance, make sure that you get a tube amp that can put out the necessary current into low impedance cans. Most solid states have no problem with this, but for tube amps you need to avoid Output Transformerless amps, such as all of the LD series and Woo audio 3. The Woo audio 6 is output transformer coupled and from what I have read it drives almost all phones admirably.(the transformer is most of the difference in price between the 6 and the 3. Those things are expensive.)

Other tube amps that come highly recommended for low impedance cans are any of the singlepowers, though from what I have read there have been a lot of issues with SP lately (read the SP threads on the amps forum) and the Musical Fidelity x-can V8.

There are some others that I am forgetting, but the main thing is to pick the type of music, then the phones, and match the amp to the phones that you want, IMO.

EDIT: I know you said that you can spend whatever, but what would you like to spend on your first foray into the audio world?

Dec 18, 2008 at 9:26 PM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by tintin47 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Are you not running the AKG K701 off a LD MK III?

The problem with picking a price I don't know where to start.
I mean I can get a $30 amp with a $60 pair of headphones and come in less than $100. Or I can get the RS-1 and a RSA-Raptor and spend $2000.
I don't think I should start at $100 nor $2000.

Would $500 be a good place to start?

Should I just get an amp, and get headphones later? Should I get better headphones and the amp later?

Dec 18, 2008 at 9:41 PM Post #9 of 13
Headphones first amp latter, you won't benefit from an amp with the current headphones you have, not in a significant way. But you will benefit from better headphones, no doubt.

Dec 18, 2008 at 9:48 PM Post #10 of 13
If you want to get into classical, I'd recommend the AKG K-501 or Sennheiser HD-600 over the K-701. The K-501 is out of production, but can be found between $100-$150 used. I much prefer it to the K-701; it has a more realistic tone while the K-701 can sound lifeless and plasticky, depending on your amp. The HD-600 doesn't do classical as well as the K-501, but it's a better all-around headphone that works with trance or anything else you throw at it. You can find them for $300 new and $200-$225 used.

However, don't buy anything for about a month! The SR-60 is plenty good for a few more weeks.

You see, Sennheiser is going to introduce one or two new pairs of headphones in January. They might interest you. However, whatever comes out will be a FOTM and people will be in a rush to unload gear to pay for a pair. It will be a buyer's market. You'll be able to get great deals on everything used. Also, I suspect that Sennheiser will discontinue the HD-600 and HD-650. You'd be able to get cheap closeouts. Further, closeout prices will push down used prices.

So stick it out until the release. You'll save a few hundred or more over buying right now.

Dec 18, 2008 at 9:57 PM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif

That is a good suggestion. It will probably take me until then to decide.

So, it sounds like I should by headphones for the music I like, then buy an amp to drive it. Sounds reasonable.

Dec 18, 2008 at 11:02 PM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by tintin47 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you need to avoid Output Transformerless amps, such as all of the LD series

Why does everyone say that the LD I+ is made for low impedance cans? I am curious because I am getting ready to order one tonight unless I am talked out of it. It will be used with Beyer DT-770/80 Pro and Alessandro MS-1's, both low impedance phones.

Dec 18, 2008 at 11:33 PM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by pyramid6 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you not running the AKG K701 off a LD MK III?

The problem with picking a price I don't know where to start.
I mean I can get a $30 amp with a $60 pair of headphones and come in less than $100. Or I can get the RS-1 and a RSA-Raptor and spend $2000.
I don't think I should start at $100 nor $2000.

Would $500 be a good place to start?

Not anymore. I need to change my sig. I built a CK2III ss amp because I felt like the LD wasn't doing much for the 701s, and I read much the same. I was right. They are wonderful now.

I agree about the pricing. The combo that I suggested is ~800-1000, right in the middle. 500 would limit your options but you could go for that if you wanted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back