Beginner's headphones
Feb 5, 2008 at 2:54 AM Post #16 of 26
Now when I am thinking over it again I think there was another reason for buying them, even more important than universality. It's that when you buy something really good it will probably not be an all-rounder, as you want your specific taste to be satisfied. And how can you say anything about the sound and what you would like to hear from your phones, when all what is coming from is unrecognizable?

I only hope that HD-555 will be something that will teach me how to choose something suited for my desires
smily_headphones1.gif

After I receive these babies, I will write what I think about 'em.

Feb 5, 2008 at 3:53 AM Post #17 of 26
The HD-555s are a good choice. Sennheiser makes good phones. I agree, sound is personal; it's your ears and your heart. I think you'll enjoy them.

PS I look forward to hearing your impressions.

Feb 5, 2008 at 5:47 AM Post #18 of 26
Headphones are not sailboats or planes so there's no such thing as beginner's phones. The rest of the world outside of HeadFi would laugh at such a characterization. I'm sorry, we can't sell you these because you just don't have the experience. If you were a millionaire would you even think of asking such a question but since you're probably not, then money is important, so what you want is a phone that sounds damn good for the money and the phone I recommend is the Alessandro MS1. Why? Because Grados are fun phones and the MS1 is the biggest bang for the buck of all the Grados. Some wag called it the best bang for the buck under $500 so for $99 to your door what are waiting for?

Feb 5, 2008 at 7:15 AM Post #19 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zephyron /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have a look at the Goldring DR150, those make a great entryway headphone into the world of headphones, and are a pair of great performing mid-fi headphones.

They perform well without amping, but scale very well with whatever kind of amping they get (if you're not amping it out of a headphone out that is).

A simple 10 minute mod can also be done to further increase their performance.

They carry a sonic sig extremely similar to the MS2i and has a performance level similar to it in my experience (both running off an Earmax Pro or an X-Can V3 when I tried them, fed off a bookshelf Musical Fidelity CD player which model I cannot remember).

How does a polar bear know what Goldrings is?

Feb 5, 2008 at 7:28 AM Post #20 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by red.13 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I only hope that HD-555 will be something that will teach me how to choose something suited for my desires
smily_headphones1.gif

After I receive these babies, I will write what I think about 'em.

i think it's a good choice. let us know how they work out.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 6, 2008 at 10:29 PM Post #22 of 26
wae5 -->
I know that I don't need anything, but cash, to buy good phones.

The thing is that I can even afford HD-600, but I am not willing to buy something that I will not admire enough. I mean: some time ago my father bought me some damn good electric guitar - it was an awesome custom Parker model. Atm I am playing, almost exclusively, on my Esteve classic guitar, which I love, and the electric one I am trying to sell. Why is that? The issues are as follow:
  1. The electric guitar has been bought in a rush. Sure, it was pricey, and good, but simply it wasn't for my taste. I would probably go for almost any other Fender, than this one.
  2. When I got this one, I was very ... lost. I got a great guitar and I felt that if it cost so much, than there are not many guitars that might be better, and probably I won't ever buy such. Thus the first result was that I played less and less. It's like with chasing the rabbit - it's all about chasing it. When you get him - it's not much of a fun.
That is why I want to start slowly, and learn something about what I like, and not go bankrupt
smily_headphones1.gif
. Maybe I am crazy or something but I consider buying music stuff as some kind of ... journey. If I treat it as buying new CPU, because it has more flops, than the whole magic will fade away.

vcoheda -->
Still I didn't lay my hands on them but I hope soon I will be able to write my first noob review of audiophile phones :p.

Shiesty -->
That's a relief. At least it won't lose it's price as my Nokia E50 which, after a month, could only be sold for ~30% of the initial price :/.

Feb 11, 2008 at 6:40 PM Post #23 of 26
I got my HD-555 today.

What can I say... I love 'em
smily_headphones1.gif
. So everything is perfect in them apart from:
* At first they felt uncomfortable, but now everything is ok
* Sometimes basses sound a bit flat and without 'powa', but it's not that bad after you get used to it
* ALL MY SONGS SOUND LIKE $H!T... It's like being deaf for 20 years, and suddenly hear that your music is so unclear and awful. Now I am trying to find some songs that sound good - tiresome, to say the least.

Last words? I am off configuring my EQ...

Feb 11, 2008 at 7:06 PM Post #24 of 26
Quote:

I got my HD-555 today.

smily_headphones1.gif
* Sometimes basses sound a bit flat and without 'powa', but it's not that bad after you get used to it
* ALL MY SONGS SOUND LIKE $H!T... It's like being deaf for 20 years, and suddenly hear that your music is so unclear and awful. Now I am trying to find some songs that sound good - tiresome, to say the least.

Congratulations! As far as your sounds sounding like that... Make sure you are using lossless or high bit rate mp3/ogg/whatever. Good cans are pretty unforgiving to compression artifacts and other such noise.

Feb 11, 2008 at 7:35 PM Post #25 of 26
At their current $15 price, it'd be foolish not to pick up a pair of KSC75s. Invaluable backup headphones in case something were to happen. I keep mine in the desk at work just in case.

Feb 11, 2008 at 7:44 PM Post #26 of 26
Quote:

I got my HD-555 today.

smily_headphones1.gif

Glad to hear that you're enjoying this new experience so far. The bass is definitely an issue on the 555/595s, so if you like more bass, then try equalizing the bottom half, the headphones should respond quite well to a certain degree. I think that with your HD555 experience, you will be well introduced to higher quality sound and be able to identify what you like and how to enjoy music at a different level.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back