Beginner's headphones
Feb 4, 2008 at 6:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

red.13

New Head-Fier
As it is my first post on this forum, I would like to say hi to you all
smily_headphones1.gif

I would like to start from saying that I browsed this forum in order to seek some pointers which headphones should I buy, but I am still confused and need more guidance.

So the case is like this. I am not an audiophile, but sometimes I believe I can hear more with better gear
tongue.gif
. I am seeking some headphones that would be nice for:
  1. Rock/metal (good bass)
  2. Ambient/world music (clear sound)
  3. Games (not crucial, but would be nice)
  4. Occasional DVD watching etc.
  5. Longer 'music sessions' (a few hours of having cans on my head
    smily_headphones1.gif
    )

The headphones I am interested in are: SR60, HD-485, HD-515. Those are my preferable choices, but if it's recommended (still, I would like to have them for a while) I can spend some cash and buy either HD-555, SR-80 or something equal.

I would be glad for any help.

Feb 4, 2008 at 11:23 AM Post #2 of 26
My advice would be to try Koss Porta Pro. One of the cheapest hifi headphones on the market.
For me there is no middle ground phones worth between Koss Porta Pro and startin 300$ phones.
Unless you have need for sound isolation.

Feb 4, 2008 at 12:05 PM Post #3 of 26
some of us started quite well - i was lucky that the worst headphone i ever bought was the koss porta pro. i then upgraded to the audio technica ad-ath700 - sold it as i did not like it and bought the dt880 2002 version and have been well happy since. some people start even better - at the top or very near it and never feel the urge to upgrade.

with a good headphone, you will only get a glimpse of what is possible with even better gear, so either go very low, like the koss ksc75 or go rather high like the beyers i have and you will probably stay happy. if you go in the middle, there is a large chance that you will feel remorse and want to try something better - think of the type of person you are and then fit the buying style to your own weaknesses - try to counter, not complement the weaknesses.

i can offer no more help than that as i have not heard those senns and do not like grados much, so you will have to get info from another.

by the way, there may not be many replies, we get this sort of message at least once per day and after a while it does become completely redundant. like watching the adverts for your least favourite fizzy on tv

Feb 4, 2008 at 5:35 PM Post #4 of 26
Imo, that is what middle-price stuff is for: to get the lick of the uberness of high end stuff without going broke, and see if you really need it. I can't afford Orpheus and I doubt I would ever need something like this, but ksc75 is... n/c. Don't get me wrong - probably those are great headphones, but c'mon I am aiming a little higher.

I really don't feel that buying such cheap piece of hardware as Koss Porta Pro will make me improve my gear (rather stick with some low-end no name stuff), especially that I already own Sennheiser PMX60, which I consider a very good piece of cans. And this is one of the main reasons I would like to buy something new.

Feb 4, 2008 at 5:51 PM Post #5 of 26
Have a look at the Goldring DR150, those make a great entryway headphone into the world of headphones, and are a pair of great performing mid-fi headphones.

They perform well without amping, but scale very well with whatever kind of amping they get (if you're not amping it out of a headphone out that is).

A simple 10 minute mod can also be done to further increase their performance.

They carry a sonic sig extremely similar to the MS2i and has a performance level similar to it in my experience (both running off an Earmax Pro or an X-Can V3 when I tried them, fed off a bookshelf Musical Fidelity CD player which model I cannot remember).

Feb 4, 2008 at 5:56 PM Post #6 of 26
For rock and metal music, you can't go wrong with Grado. I personally feel that all music that I play through it sounds amazing. On the other side, the fit and comfort is an issue for some when it comes to Grado (not me). Also, soundstage is apparently very small which could be an issue for games/movies. But, if music is your primary goal here, I would go with the SR60 or SR80.

Feb 4, 2008 at 5:58 PM Post #7 of 26
grado or alessandro would be a good choice, you may find them uncomfortable however.

Feb 4, 2008 at 6:49 PM Post #8 of 26
The longer I think about it, the more I am undecided...
I really don't know if I should go for cheaper HD-485 or SR-60, or go higher for SR-80 or HD-555.

I would like those phones to be universal, but I am quite sure that higher quality of sounds I would like to hear in rock music... Damn, why is it always so hard :/.

P.S. Zephyron --> DR150 is too expensive for me, unfortunately

Feb 4, 2008 at 7:24 PM Post #10 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by red.13 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Imo, that is what middle-price stuff is for: to get the lick of the uberness of high end stuff without going broke, and see if you really need it. I can't afford Orpheus and I doubt I would ever need something like this, but ksc75 is... n/c. Don't get me wrong - probably those are great headphones, but c'mon I am aiming a little higher.

I really don't feel that buying such cheap piece of hardware as Koss Porta Pro will make me improve my gear (rather stick with some low-end no name stuff),

You will hear many people say they prefer the Koss KSC75 and PortaPros to many of the cans you listed in your first post. I personally prefer the Koss headphones to the midrange Sennheisers such as the 555.

Feb 4, 2008 at 7:32 PM Post #11 of 26
I started off my wallet and bank account depletion with the HD555s...small amp after the 555s arrvied, moved to the 580s - upgraded to tube amp...then got the MS1, SSR225, and now the AKG 701s.

I say you go for a good sennheiser. Like a 555, 595 or maybe a 580 if you can afford it. This will give you the ability to change cables later.

Are you planning on a amp? If not, then the 580s would prob be out...

My first choice is the 555, the SR80-SR125s are second...

I love the sound of grado...but NOTHING beats the comfort of the HD555s...can wear them for DAYS.

Hope this helps ya!! GL and welcome....sorry for whats about to happen to your wallet.

Feb 4, 2008 at 7:33 PM Post #12 of 26
I really enjoy the sound I get from my Hd 555's. There's not much isolation (none actually), but the soundstage is quite solid (to my unpracticed ears anyway) and they're very comfortable for multiple hour listening sessions. They've got a sound that goes very well with what I've been listening to recently (lots of classical) so they may not have the same results for you.

Feb 4, 2008 at 7:46 PM Post #13 of 26
I decided, and let's hope it's a good decision. I chose HD-555 for universality. Later mayber I will upgrade my cans, or even buy an amp - time will tell. For now, let's see what those babies are capable of
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 4, 2008 at 8:26 PM Post #14 of 26
"I chose HD-555 for universality."

That's what I did, and so far I'm quite happy with them for their price. They are "polite" headphones sonically, whereas my brother's Grado SR60's are more "urgent" sounding (they really rock). He listens to mostly guitar rock and blues, which I listen to a lot, but I also listen to soundtracks, electronica, world music, indie, 60's Motown/Stax, etc., and I find the universality you mentioned to suit my particular needs and price considerations. And the Sennheisers are indeed very comfortable. Nonfatiguing fit and sound, so long listening sessions should cause no discomfort. I use them listening to music on the computer, watching television (movies and music DVDs), out of a home stereo and sometimes when listening to portables.

I think you made a good, safe choice. We both can do better -- eventually. For now, I think you will like them. The Head-Fi way is to second-guess yourself and your decisions, and there were some good recommendations for you ... but you'll be fine with these.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back