"beginner" turntable advice
Mar 1, 2009 at 1:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

joshd

100+ Head-Fier
I'm looking at picking up a turntable. Trying to find suitable "beginner" models, second hand is probably the best way to get something reasonable, cheaply.

The lower end Rega tables look nice, but I've not found many around for sale. Can anyone suggest other suitable models?

Also, the preamp I use with my speakers has a table input, so I assume I don't need a "phono stage"?

Mar 1, 2009 at 5:14 PM Post #3 of 4
Quad 33 is a very nice classic pre-amp but pretty old so does need some servicing usually if you havn't already done so. It uses plug in boards which allow for easy upgrades too from companies like Net Audio Ultimate amps for the ultimate speaker

Rega decks are great if you can find one for resonable money 2nd hand. Thorens and Technics are also popular used buys. I made a list of some lesser know decent old decks here a while ago http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f7/low...source-228059/

Mar 1, 2009 at 7:49 PM Post #4 of 4
Run a search for "Rega" over at Audiogon. There are always a few around, but they tend to go quickly.

I'd recommend buying a used Planar 3 or P3 instead of a new P1 or P2. They're slightly better, I prefer the RB300 arm, and they're durable as anything. The one I had was 20+ years old when I got it. I installed a new belt, changed the oil in the bearing and it was good to go. Took about 15 minutes and only needed a screwdriver. That deck is still going - I gave it to a good friend when I bought the Michell.

So don't be afraid of a used one. There's very, very little that can go wrong and you can replace anything on it in a couple of minutes with a screwdriver. Also, there's a variety of aftermarket parts and tweaks for these decks, so you can do anything you want with one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back