Beginner threads/info?
Nov 30, 2008 at 5:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Nubster

100+ Head-Fier
Been searching for beginner threads but not much has appeared. I am new to all this and as I read thread after thread I keep seeing a lot of terms and abbreviations and other jargon that I have no idea about. And all the different types of amps and, well, it is pretty overwhelming. Is there a thread or even another site that is beginner friendly so that when I read other threads here I have a little bit of a clue what is being talked about? I hate to start a thread or ask a new question everytime I see something I don't know but I really want to understand all this stuff so I can make some educated decisions on what to buy/build and not waste a bunch of money. Thanks and sorry for being another newb thorn in your backsides...lol

Nov 30, 2008 at 5:19 PM Post #2 of 19
Read a whole bunch. Then after you've got your head around some stuff, ask questions about other things. Everyone starts somewhere and we don't bite.

Not much anyway.

Nov 30, 2008 at 5:29 PM Post #3 of 19
I am not aware of such guidelines/threads.
Fully aware that the short product names used in here can be overwhelming. But read a lot of threads, and use Google Search or similar to find more information when you are unsure which product we talk about.

..and don't be scared asking questions.
smile.gif

Nov 30, 2008 at 5:56 PM Post #4 of 19
x2. If someone references a product that you don't recognize, just search XXX headphones in google. It will probably find you the specific product, as there isn't much overlap in product numbers (which is why people here can refer to cans using only the number anyway). Just keep reading and you will learn quickly.

Also, click on one of the tens of threads about people buying phones for the first time. There is a lot of good info in those, even if the budget/music isn't the same as yours.

Nov 30, 2008 at 6:08 PM Post #5 of 19
Hello to a fellow newbie! I'll have to second the suggestion to read and read again, based on recent personal experience. I've been lurking head-fi for some 4 months now, and reading others' "first headphones for x music" threads was how I decided on my first cans. Hope you enjoy the journey! (It gets a lot easier once you get past some of the dizzying jargon :p)

Nov 30, 2008 at 6:12 PM Post #6 of 19
So, what are you looking for? What kind of music do you listen to? How much are you planning to spend? If we knew more of what you wanted, you'd get pointed at things you'd probably like. From there, you can get your bearings and learn what others with similar tastes use. And if you have questions about jargon or abbreviations, just ask.

Nov 30, 2008 at 6:15 PM Post #7 of 19
Most head-fiers are beginner friendly. Just don't rave about a product no one knows of when you're a low-poster. Especially no DAC (which is a digital to anologue convertert btw). As long as you do that there should be no trouble.

Welcome to Head-fi!
biggrin.gif

Nov 30, 2008 at 7:15 PM Post #8 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So, what are you looking for? What kind of music do you listen to? How much are you planning to spend? If we knew more of what you wanted, you'd get pointed at things you'd probably like. From there, you can get your bearings and learn what others with similar tastes use. And if you have questions about jargon or abbreviations, just ask.

Thanks everyone. Most music is classic rock or alternative rock with some oldies, blues, r&b, and a touch of metal/industrial, so there is a wide spectrum. My source will be my computer and occasionally my iPod but 99% of my listening is at home. Budget is tight...lol...probably $200 or less for phones and about the same maybe slightly more for an amp when/if needed.

And again, thanks everyone. This place does seem to be very friendly and I look forward to many more hours of reading.

Chad

Nov 30, 2008 at 7:28 PM Post #9 of 19
How about a Grado SR-60 to start with? They're better than anything you've probably heard and are terrific with the music you listen to. With the TTVJ coupon (I think he's still offering it) you can get them for $65. They're low risk, too. If you don't like them, someone will buy them in the For Sale forum within an hour or two. Seriously, they go fast. You might lose $10 or $15, but that's not too bad. The SR-60 doesn't really need an amp or DAC, either. You can run them from your iPod or computer.

Another nice thing about the SR-60 is that it's sort of a baseline here. Most Head-Fi'ers have either owned one or listened to one. Once you listen to one for awhile, you'll be able to understand when someone says a can is more "laid back" than a Grado, or you can ask how something sounds compared to the Grado sound. And if you don't like the SR-60 at all, then you'll understand all the threads where people are looking for an alternative.

The other house sound that's very commonly referenced here is Sennheiser. If you look around, you can find a used HD-600 for about $200. Now, those do need an amp and are more sensitive about the source you're using. But again, you can find and ask for comparisons to a HD-600 and you'll understand what they're saying.

Nov 30, 2008 at 7:28 PM Post #10 of 19
I always recommend Alessandro MS-1s (Alessandro High-End Products) to newbies. They work great with the older rock and blues. As for an amp a Little Dot I+ should be good but the alessandros are great unamped. I'm not sure about the DAC as I'm still looking at DACs and I don't know what to get as well. I'm currently looking into these: Cambridge Audio DacMagic, Keces DA-151, Keces DA-131.1, Audio-GD GD-100, Audio-GD DAC19SE.

Also have a look at the Zero DAC/amp. There is a ton of info about this popular unit around these boards.

Oh yeah as stated the Alessandros don't need amping but of course they'll benefit from it.

Nov 30, 2008 at 9:04 PM Post #11 of 19
Great. I'll look in to all the recommendations. I figure anything will be an upgrade from the $20 pair of Sony MDR-V150 I grabbed a year ago at Wal-Mart. I thought they sounded pretty decent until I tried a pair of Bose yesterday and then I come here and find out that the Bose are not even good phones so as good as they sounded to me I am VERY excited about the prospect of headphones sounding even better than they did and at less than half the price to boot. Thanks again, you guys are great. Well, thanks until I start breaking out the wallet then I'll be cursing you and thanking you in the same breath.

Nov 30, 2008 at 9:39 PM Post #12 of 19
BOSE doesn't make bad gear. They're overpriced and overhyped however. Can you tell what you're thinking of getting?

Nov 30, 2008 at 11:14 PM Post #13 of 19
Well, still not sure. The Grado SR-60 sounds good and the price is right at less than $70 but the Alessandro MS-1 get fantastic reviews and only $30 more. I was looking at Audio-Technica ATH-AD700 and AD900 but they are a lot more. So right now I think that the MS-1 is the leader on my list. Since you recommended them, can you recommend a smaller amp that would pair well with these speakers that I can look in to and research a bit? And thanks for the help. I really appreciate it.

***Just realized that the MS-1s (the whole site actually) are on sale 25% off and free shipping so that I think is a deal maker***

Nov 30, 2008 at 11:30 PM Post #14 of 19
Next question, get it with the mini plug and 1/4" adapter or get it with the 1/4" plug and buy a mini plug adapter or does it matter? I will be using the mini plug for now but if I end up using an amp later then will I benefit from the 1/4" plug?

Nov 30, 2008 at 11:36 PM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nubster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Great. I'll look in to all the recommendations. I figure anything will be an upgrade from the $20 pair of Sony MDR-V150 I grabbed a year ago at Wal-Mart. I thought they sounded pretty decent until I tried a pair of Bose yesterday and then I come here and find out that the Bose are not even good phones so as good as they sounded to me I am VERY excited about the prospect of headphones sounding even better than they did and at less than half the price to boot. Thanks again, you guys are great. Well, thanks until I start breaking out the wallet then I'll be cursing you and thanking you in the same breath.

You'll like the MS-1, and that's a great deal at 25% off!

I think I've got a pair of MDR-V150s around here somewhere. Those are what I use to test amp builds - I haven't accidentally fried them yet. I've also listened to the Bose lineup at the Bose store in the mall across from the office. The Grado/Alessandros are a huge step up, believe me.

I'd get headphones with a 1/4" jack and pick up the Grado 1/8" adapter. I use the adapter for the iPhone/iPod and it works fine. But most of my listening is at home, and I'd rather not use an adapter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back