Beginner record player for budding audiophile
Feb 9, 2007 at 6:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

IndieRokker

New Head-Fier
EDIT: *I just saw the Todd the Vinyl Junkie forum below this one. This thread probably belongs there. Feel free to do with this what you will.*

Hey, friends. Please excuse me if i'm posting this in the wrong forum (the change of the main page has me all confused).

Now I don't know if i'm exactly a budding audiophile but I love my music, there's no denying that. Anyway, I want to buy a record player for myself because the capitalist digital age has weakened me into an mp3 collector, which I think is a tad depressing. I used to be a big time cd buyer but i've seen friends' and others' tables and there's something about the whole package that sunk it's teeth into me. I want to start a nice little collection of vinyl for myself, and I want to be able to come home from school/work/wherever and take the record out of it's packaging and lose myself in the music while admiring the laboured- over artwork.

I don't want to spend too much yet since my budget is really tight, but I don't want a piece of junk either. Can you guys/gals help a brother out?

Thanks!
580smile.gif

Feb 9, 2007 at 5:44 PM Post #3 of 7
My budget? I guess that all depends. Like, what does (generally) a beginner table run? I'm sure there's tons of factors that determine the price of a table so I dunno, maybe 100 bucks? But depending on what people tell me here that can change.

Thanks, bhd, I'll look up Rega now.
580smile.gif

Feb 10, 2007 at 7:06 AM Post #4 of 7
Here's a good place with a lot of information on getting set up with a budget system:

http://www.garage-a-records.com/index.php

And if you'd like some good reading on vinyl, take a look here:

http://www.furious.com/perfect/vinylanachronist.html

I read all of his articles before buying a turntable and found his advice very helpful.

I agonized over a number of decks, and when I was just about to buy something else, a used Rega Planar 3 popped up on Audiogon. $200, and it was local. I picked it up, got an arm and cartridge, and wow, I'm glad I didn't buy the more expensive setup! I'm sure the more expensive one was good, but the Planar 3 was one of the best audio investments I've made. I recommend it, however, the Planar 3 isn't the only good deck out there. There are lots of them. For less money, you might want to look at some of the vintage Dual or Thorens decks.

Feb 10, 2007 at 8:28 AM Post #5 of 7
IR: I hope you're willing to go used, 'cause 100 bucks won't buy you anything half-decent new in the realm of turntables.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Feb 10, 2007 at 10:37 AM Post #6 of 7
I decided to pick up what I considered an entry level system when I finished work the night before last;

http://www.project-audio.com/main.ph...tables&lang=en

The cost of the Pro-Ject was £225 which is about $430, but no doubt the cost would be more like $200/$250 New I would have thought (but a little unsure on that).

Feb 10, 2007 at 3:07 PM Post #7 of 7
I went to a flea market and picked me a up a sweet vintage reciever and a Technics SL1400. New cart, tuned and it sounds phenomenal. I also spent under $200....can't complain about that. I listen through the headphone jack, and it's awesome. Now, all I need is a set of floor speakers and it'll be a dope set-up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back