Before I spend £1500 I would like to know of a Headphone alternative
Jan 16, 2014 at 4:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

redstar

100+ Head-Fier
Hi

Ive been doing various visits to hifi shops and listening to various setups.

I am looking to get a bedroom setup.
So far, I have liked the most Yamaha rx-v1073 along side Dali 1: 5.1. ( Two Zensors 1s for the rear, two Zensor 3s for the front).
I would get the Zensor 3s over the Zensor 5s, due to my room layout.

Anyway, this setup comes to about £1500, perhaps a smidge more. 
Its purly for Movie watching, Blurays via PS4, but I was thinking of maybe getting a dedicated player.

If I was to spend the 1500 on a headphone setup, instead of this hifi set up, what would one suggest?
I have two sets of headphones currently;
Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro - 80 Ohm (love the comfort)
Senheiser Momentums.

Any help would be immense,
Dan.

Jan 16, 2014 at 7:54 PM Post #2 of 20
I would get the Fostex HP-A8 + TH600 directly from Japan for under 1000 pounds. The rest of the money I'd use for a pair of powered monitors. Think Neumann KH120A (breaks the budget but what can you do?). :)

As for speakers: Elipson Planet M 5.0 wall-mounted, BK XXLS400FF subwoofer, your preferred receiver.

Jan 16, 2014 at 8:38 PM Post #3 of 20
Many thanks :)

So are you saying, get 4 of the planets Ms with the sub to make a 5.1?
Or mix it up with the Neumann KH120A?

I assume I cant get the Fostex HP-A8 + TH600 via the uk?
- Edit I found somewhere that appears to deal in the Fostex HP-A8 + TH600

Jan 17, 2014 at 2:59 AM Post #5 of 20
Way better than the t1 with the matching amp.

In the UK the fostex prices are a ripoff.

Obviously 5 planet m's and a bk xxls400ff sub make a 5.1 system.

Jan 17, 2014 at 3:37 AM Post #6 of 20
Thanks for the reply, I just got a bit confused when you introduced the Neumann KH120A, why would I need those on top of the Planet Ms, if that was to be the 5.1 with switched sub

Jan 17, 2014 at 4:10 AM Post #8 of 20
Just for you to have another input:

No, T1+A1 beats that Fostex combo by a wide margin in my opinion. They also sound completely different. Can't argue about the price though :wink:

Jan 17, 2014 at 5:03 AM Post #9 of 20
The Beyer T1 is a mess of a headphone and A1 is a mid-range amplifier with a high end price. In this case completely different means bad. :)

Stick to an Anaxilus modded HD800 if you want open or a TH600 if you want closed. Or both.

Jan 17, 2014 at 5:17 AM Post #11 of 20
Also, 1500 pounds is not really enough for a great multichannel setup. Maybe if you buy used you can get a decent one but it will not be great.  That's a thing to keep in mind.
Better to buy great stereo than average multichannel.

Jan 17, 2014 at 5:26 AM Post #12 of 20
The T1 is a mess of a headphone?
You should see how the TH600 measures.
Let's be honest here.
To the OP, you should try the Beyerdynamic T90, a great open headphone that scales quite well. It's also not nearly peaky as the T1 and doesn't require much of an amp to properly drive.

Jan 17, 2014 at 5:36 AM Post #13 of 20
Only get the t90 if you want an hourly kick to the balls. I swear head-fi is becoming more and more a place where you go to empty your wallet for nothing.

Jan 17, 2014 at 5:59 AM Post #14 of 20
Only get the t90 if you want an hourly kick to the balls. I swear head-fi is becoming more and more a place where you go to empty your wallet for nothing.

I don't particular understand what you're saying.
The T90 is a good can, and I don't see where the need for vulgarity comes in.
Your mileage may vary. 
If you think the TH600 completely blows the T1 out of the water, I'm already under the impression you have no idea what you're talking about.

Jan 17, 2014 at 6:29 AM Post #15 of 20
The TH600 is a balanced sounding closed headphone with no obvious faults. The HD800 is a state of the art headphone with minimal faults, faults that are minimized by non-destructive reversible modding.

The T90 and T1 disqualify themselves as soon as you put them on. I remember putting the T1 on my head for the first time - it's a nicely made object, I was expecting something special - and my reaction was ... WHAT? And it costs how much??? I took it off, looked at it and put it back in the box. Eventually I listened some more to it to form an opinion but all through the process I was glad it wasn't mine. :)

The golden rule when making a headphone should be: first do no harm, then you can start making it better. Peaky headphones are not high quality headphones whatever their price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back