Before I jump into the VDA1... tell me if this is a good deal!
Jul 21, 2005 at 4:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Joey_V

1000+ Head-Fier
I got an offer for the VDA1 for $250 + shipping. Is this good?

I know it is about $350 + shipping from CIAUDIO.com but there is always the *haggle* factor.

THANKS!!

JOey

Jul 21, 2005 at 11:01 AM Post #3 of 14
Yes that a good deal. If it ends up not fairing well in your system you can always resell it for $250 and only lose the shipping.

If you are hooking it up to your Audigy though you won't hear much if any improvement
frown.gif

Jul 21, 2005 at 11:25 AM Post #4 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Solude

If you are hooking it up to your Audigy though you won't hear much if any improvement
frown.gif

I thought that that point of getting the VDA-1 was to REPLACE the Audigy in his system...

Jul 21, 2005 at 12:17 PM Post #5 of 14
A DAC doesn't feed itself
biggrin.gif
If the Audigy is feeding it, you'll have the same result plus or minus some colouration.

In other works, the digital stream has already been resampled to 48K, so the Audigy has put its blemish on the result even before it hits the DAC. To make matters worse the Audigy is not great or even good jitter wise, ok data jitter, horrid electrical jitter. Molested signal sent poorly to any DAC is going to sound like a what it is
frown.gif

Jul 21, 2005 at 6:57 PM Post #6 of 14
Buy a Chaintech AV-710, use Foobar, and use Kernel Streaming and you're done.

Jul 21, 2005 at 7:08 PM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

biggrin.gif
If the Audigy is feeding it, you'll have the same result plus or minus some colouration.

In other works, the digital stream has already been resampled to 48K, so the Audigy has put its blemish on the result even before it hits the DAC. To make matters worse the Audigy is not great or even good jitter wise, ok data jitter, horrid electrical jitter. Molested signal sent poorly to any DAC is going to sound like a what it is
frown.gif

I meant replacing the Audigy as SOURCE, not Audigy as TRANSPORT
tongue.gif
It'd be better to get a different sound card anyway, for the reasons you stated.

Jul 21, 2005 at 7:09 PM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joey_V
I got an offer for the VDA1 for $250 + shipping. Is this good?

I know it is about $350 + shipping from CIAUDIO.com but there is always the *haggle* factor.

THANKS!!

JOey

Joey, let me ask you an honest question. Do you like the sound signature of the VDA-1? Does the sound match your tastes?

Jul 21, 2005 at 7:28 PM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Teerawit
Joey, let me ask you an honest question. Do you like the sound signature of the VDA-1? Does the sound match your tastes?

Hvent heard it Teera and there really isnt a way I can demo it without going brand new and returning it if I dont like it.

However, I feel that it is a good DAC and will serve both my headphones and speakers better than the Audigy presently can (for music anyway).

Jul 21, 2005 at 9:27 PM Post #11 of 14
Getting used / demo is the best way to try things and find your sound. Why else would I have such advice in my sig
biggrin.gif

Jul 21, 2005 at 11:18 PM Post #12 of 14
For $250 + shipping, you have NOTHING to lose. Only gain.

Jul 21, 2005 at 11:19 PM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

biggrin.gif

That is so bull. A2 digitally to my cheap integrated receiver (+ rega ear) sounded BETTER than the emu 0404's analogue outs directly to the rega.

44->48khz is no problem. Just use a software resampler, you won't notice a difference.

Jul 21, 2005 at 11:22 PM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by maarek99
That is so bull. A2 digitally to my cheap integrated receiver (+ rega ear) sounded BETTER than the emu 0404's analogue outs directly to the rega.

44->48khz is no problem. Just use a software resampler, you won't notice a difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back