Beethoven's Piano Sonatas
Aug 3, 2009 at 12:24 PM Post #166 of 181
Not sure if you guys have seen that (I have not found a post related to it), but Andras Schiff lectures on the bethoven piano sonatas are available mp3 format for free on the guardian website :
Andras Schiff: the lectures | Classical and opera | guardian.co.uk Music

I started recently to listen to his complete set released on ECM, recorded live in front of a very quiet audience and it seems very interesting.
A particularity, worth hearing regardless if you like it or not, is that it seems that in the 1st mvt of the moonlight, beethoven's indication is pedal all the times (from what I have read, I am not an expert) which is what Schiff is doing. He is taking it at a faster than usual speed, but the pedal gives it a specific atmosphere.
Enjoy !
Lionel

Aug 3, 2009 at 1:17 PM Post #167 of 181
On the subject of the sonatas, Musopen has the Beethoven sonatas available for free (public domain) for download. Unfortunately only MP3 format. I hope they'll consider lossless in the future.

I'm no expert on the sonatas. I don't know how the versions from Musopen rank in terms of performance. But free is a good price, and they're public domain. They have a couple of versions of several of the sonatas.

When I downloaded the sonatas, one of the movements done by Daniel Veesey got mixed up with one of the other performers. Unfortunately I didn't tag which one that was and not I've forgotten. I'm not sure if they have corrected that or not.

Aug 4, 2009 at 6:19 AM Post #168 of 181
Quote:

Originally Posted by lionel marechal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not sure if you guys have seen that (I have not found a post related to it), but Andras Schiff lectures on the bethoven piano sonatas are available mp3 format for free on the guardian website :
Andras Schiff: the lectures | Classical and opera | guardian.co.uk Music

Great stuff! Thanks for the link!

Aug 25, 2009 at 3:47 AM Post #169 of 181
Let me offer another suggestion. Based on reviews in SA-CD.net, I ordered the first three volumes of a planned set of the sonatas by Igor Tchetuev. Tonight I have been comparing the first volume, which contains the Appassionata and Les Adieux, with a comparable CD of Emil Gilels on DG. To my ear, Tchetuev is clearly in the same league.

Sep 8, 2009 at 11:00 AM Post #171 of 181
i got the Annie Fischer set, listened to the Waldstein and 32nd, and just don't know what to make of it...she seems bent on total clarity and linearity. it's certainly forceful where it needs to be, and very beautiful, but it just feels so detached.

will have to listen to the rest for a fair assesment

Sep 8, 2009 at 5:06 PM Post #172 of 181
i like brendel's digital cycle on philips. it looks like it's about to be re-released at budget price. nice.

227897.jpg

Beethoven: The Complete Piano Sonatas / Alfred Brendel | ArkivMusic

Oct 13, 2009 at 2:17 PM Post #177 of 181
I would probably recommend the Kempff/DG 1960s stereo version for ideal balanced starting set.........
now available in new reduced price package, Amazon seller "blowitoutahere" selling for $23

41lm4ZWPhSL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Oct 14, 2009 at 9:57 AM Post #179 of 181
I have listened quitea lot to Beethoven sonatas. My love for these sonates started when I first listened to the Hammerklavier sonata by Brendel (Philips).
I was completely blown away by ther sheer genius of the composition and bought the complete Beethoven box, which I listened for month in a role.

Since then I bought Beethoven sonatas by Ashkenazy, Uchida, Richter, Gould, Kempff, Arrau, Gilels, Sokolov, Pletnev, Brautigam (forte piano), Barenboim and Pollini.. All renditions are great in their own right of course, but my favorites are op. 10 by Gould, hammerklavier Brendel, both Philips and Vox, all the Kempff, Tempest/Sturm by Richter, op. 111 Brendel..
Pollini was a big surprise for me in a very positive way, Barenboim a bit of a disapointment..

I'm not very fond of Beethoven's symphonies though, but his sonatas are great and give an amazing insight in the man's development, the last movement of op.111, a deaf genius saying goodbye to the piano sonatas, is heartbreaking..Jazz avant la lettre

Nov 22, 2009 at 8:48 AM Post #180 of 181
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would probably recommend the Kempff/DG 1960s stereo version for ideal balanced starting set.........
now available in new reduced price package, Amazon seller "blowitoutahere" selling for $23

41lm4ZWPhSL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Saw this set the other day on discount at the local HMV store. Slightly pricer than US$23, but amounts to about the same after shipping costs. And I get to listen to them immediately! Bought it and listening now!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back