Beethoven's Piano Sonatas
Nov 2, 2008 at 10:42 PM Post #152 of 181
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have noticed in other Kovacevich collections there are sonatas on the Phillips label......did he do another complete Beethoven sonata set when he was younger for Phillips and have you heard it?

41C-56a0uWL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

This Phillips Beethoven collection contains Kovacevich/Davis 1-5 piano concertos, Diabelli Variations, Bagatelles, plus several sonatas

Just a brief summary of this offering......the Kovacevich/Davis/Phillips PC 1-5 sound a bit dated and lack luster now after my hearing has been corrupted by so much historically informed practice Beethoven and more vital sounding hybrid versions. These were long one of the top sets along with Perahia/Haitink in Penguin Guide, but now there are better PC 1-5 to choose from for my taste.

The hidden jewels in this collection are the Diabelli Variations and Bagatelles, I didn't realize how much I enjoy the Diabelli's so I researched other versions ordered a couple at Amazon

Nov 3, 2008 at 3:58 PM Post #153 of 181
Quote:

Bunny
While I am hot on Beethoven sonatas have you heard any of the Komen/Globe series using various forte pianos?

Does he play at the same elite level as Brautigam?

I have all five volumes of Komen's Beethoven sonatas, and they are also excellent. The first volume is paradoxically, Beethoven's last 3 sonatas (Opp. 109, 110, 111) and it's a beautiful cd. The sound quality is not as fine as the Bis, but the instrument is a Conrad Graf (Vienna - c.1830) that Beethoven might have played not a reproduction such as that used by Brautigam. Of course the repro (Paul McNulty after Conrad Graf - 1819) used by Brautigam is a fantastic instrument with great sonority and beautiful timbre -- definitely the costar of that series. Unfortunately, Komen has only recorded about half of the sonatas. However, those recordings are well worth having if, as you say, you have become a fan of the period instruments. I believe that Vol 1 - The Last Sonatas is available as an itunes plus download, so try a track or two to sample them. I always hesitate to mention these because they have become very rare and expensive in the USA. Another volume is available as an Amazon download. Try a track or two and decide whether you find these recordings essential. His Diabelli Variations is something that you have to order from Beethoven-Haus, and at €19.90 plus the German postal shipping (about $13.00) it can get a bit pricey.

I only wish you could hear Komen's Waldstein which is played so very beautifully. The Graf he plays seems to have a slightly more compressed sound than the McNulty-Graf used by Brautigam, but that may be a fault of the engineering. Certainly Komen's playing is as fiery, if nuanced slightly differently. In any event, I like Komen's work very much.

If you like the Komen piano sonatas, then be sure not to miss the Sonatas for Cello and Fortepiano he recorded with Peter Wispelwey; I think that's also available as a download from Itunes plus as well, and well worth having -- Wispelwey is a genius! The only other period instrument cello sonatas worth considering are those of Anner Bijlsma (usually spelled Bylsma for the USA market) and Jos van Immerseel, and Bijlsma, I believe used the Servais Strad from the Smithsonian for those, which is not precisely a period instrument because it was altered in the 19th century.

Nov 3, 2008 at 4:03 PM Post #154 of 181
Quote:

Just a brief summary of this offering......the Kovacevich/Davis/Phillips PC 1-5 sound a bit dated and lack luster now after my hearing has been corrupted by so much historically informed practice Beethoven and more vital sounding hybrid versions. These were long one of the top sets along with Perahia/Haitink in Penguin Guide, but now there are better PC 1-5 to choose from for my taste.

The hidden jewels in this collection are the Diabelli Variations and Bagatelles, I didn't realize how much I enjoy the Diabelli's so I researched other versions ordered a couple at Amazon

I've been researching as well, and Kovacevich has only one complete cycle which is on EMI. Here is what I have read: There are good things in both the EMI and Philips recordings, but they can be uneven in quality. The only caveat I've heard about the EMI cycle is that some of the sonatas of the first difficulty are too overwrought and overplayed. Otherwise, it may something that I will also be picking up. Let me know which sonatas you find most interesting.

Nov 3, 2008 at 4:17 PM Post #155 of 181
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bunnyears /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have all five volumes of Komen's Beethoven sonatas, and they are also excellent.

I was afraid you were going to say that .......... the Komen CDs are even more rare and expensive than the Brautigam hybrid SACDs, for now I will have to be content collecting Brautigam as they are released and exploring my recently acquired Annie Fischer and Gilels/DG sets

Nov 3, 2008 at 4:36 PM Post #156 of 181
You know, the Itunes plus downloads are very good and very reasonably priced. I'll bet that Channel Classics makes all of them available. You can have some of them, even if slightly (ugh) compressed. I've always wanted Komen's Diabelli Variations, but German postal rates are such a stopper. In any event, you must get the sonatas for piano and cello (also available from the Amazon download store). That is really an essential recording.

51MBhZ32gPL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

PM me!

May 13, 2009 at 3:03 AM Post #157 of 181
I'm looking at purchasing my first set of Beethoven's Sonatas. At the moment I only have Serkin playing the 3 Sonatas (14, 8 and 23 with bonus of 26) on Sony Classical. I've listened to it over and over again.

I'm thinking about picking up this set from Amazon for $40.98. Is it a good deal?

Advice much appreciated.

Cheers

May 13, 2009 at 7:44 AM Post #158 of 181
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rhizy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm looking at purchasing my first set of Beethoven's Sonatas. At the moment I only have Serkin playing the 3 Sonatas (14, 8 and 23 with bonus of 26) on Sony Classical. I've listened to it over and over again.

I'm thinking about picking up this set from Amazon for $40.98. Is it a good deal?

Advice much appreciated.

Cheers

Seems a fair price. This appears to be Kempff's second complete cycle (the stereo version). The recordings are a bit old (mid 60's), but should hold up well. Kempff is a well respected Beethoven-interpreter but some might not respond to his approach to Beethoven. It's certainly less forceful than Serkin's interpretations, more concerned with tone-colour and melodic lines. In short, more Romantic. If this appeals to you (it does to me), go for it.

May 13, 2009 at 9:52 AM Post #159 of 181
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rhizy /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Advice much appreciated.

Cheers

Very good deal i think

Kempff's Beethoven is played with a remarkable insight and love for the music..

Less popular but excellent i.m.o. is the Ashkenazy box and for forte the Brautigam (SACD) is great.. Richter is great but not complete and often not so well produced, Gould isn't complete but early sonates are really great to hear..

Brendel is ok, a bit dry, but not at all in a bad way, his hammerklavier is superb, Barenboim somehow doesn't do it for me, don't know why, Aurrau is special to me, I like it a lot..

Beethoven sonates are a great and exciting journey, you have to find your own way of course, I spend about six month listening to nothing else
biggrin.gif

May 19, 2009 at 4:51 PM Post #161 of 181
Good choice. I love Arrau as well, especially for the late Beethoven Sonatas. His hefty tone, meditative sobriety, and interpretive depth make his late Beethoven a unique experience.

May 23, 2009 at 4:10 AM Post #163 of 181
Beethoven Sonatas:

Brendel - the academic approach
Kempff - the Noble approach to Beethoven (thin sound)
Kovacevich - the angry Beethoven
Arrau - the searching Beethoven (but never quite finding it)
Goode - good only if you prefer your Beethoven kind of boring (woolly sound)
Barenboim (EMI) - the wayward, quirky, Beethoven
Perl - the analytical approach, kind of "matter of fact"
Paul Lewis - terrific sound, middle of the road Beethoven

===================

***The best of the bunch***
Gulda - the rhythmic Beethoven (also best value for the money spent)
A. Fischer - the best all around Beethoven (expensive & hard to find)

And that's my personal round up of the commonly known box sets. There's a Beethoven set to fit every need. None of them are perfect, but the last two come closest.

happy listening - augustwest

May 24, 2009 at 4:21 PM Post #164 of 181
Kovacevich's set on EMI worth a try.
The price is not high, and the play is superb.
The recording is nice, too.

Actually, I think this complete set is quite balance..

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bunnyears /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been researching as well, and Kovacevich has only one complete cycle which is on EMI. Here is what I have read: There are good things in both the EMI and Philips recordings, but they can be uneven in quality. The only caveat I've heard about the EMI cycle is that some of the sonatas of the first difficulty are too overwrought and overplayed. Otherwise, it may something that I will also be picking up. Let me know which sonatas you find most interesting.

May 25, 2009 at 10:36 AM Post #165 of 181
Quote:

Originally Posted by augustwest /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Beethoven Sonatas:

Brendel - the academic approach
Kempff - the Noble approach to Beethoven (thin sound)
Kovacevich - the angry Beethoven
Arrau - the searching Beethoven (but never quite finding it)
Goode - good only if you prefer your Beethoven kind of boring (woolly sound)
Barenboim (EMI) - the wayward, quirky, Beethoven
Perl - the analytical approach, kind of "matter of fact"
Paul Lewis - terrific sound, middle of the road Beethoven

===================

***The best of the bunch***
Gulda - the rhythmic Beethoven (also best value for the money spent)
A. Fischer - the best all around Beethoven (expensive & hard to find)

And that's my personal round up of the commonly known box sets. There's a Beethoven set to fit every need. None of them are perfect, but the last two come closest.

happy listening - augustwest

Nice list, very good characterisations!

I'd like to add two more:

Gilels - the magisterial (unsmiling) Beethoven
Schnabel - Beethoven taken to the extreme (in more than one way)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back