Beethoven's 6, 7, 8th Symphonies - suggestions?
Sep 27, 2005 at 9:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

nanahachi

Head-Fi FAQ(s) Volunteer
This past weekend I picked up Beethoven's 6, 7, & 8th symphonies, but am not thrilled with the recordings. This sounds a bit obtuse, but what are the "best" recordings (i know performances can vary by conductor,etc, and seems more subjective?) of the 6th through 8th, if not all 9? (I should also add that I am a classical neophyte, and really don't know who/what I like.)

In the exact same vein, I found and read the following threads, but some are a tad old and I was hoping for updated responses. Thanks!!

Best 9th Thread
http://www5.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=130683

Best 5th Thread
http://www5.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=28777

Beethoven Sets Thread
http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showt...&threadid=7979

Monteux's Beethoven Symphonies
http://www5.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=110399

Sep 28, 2005 at 6:58 AM Post #2 of 13
My favorite 6th are Bohm and Stoki with the Philadelphia... 7th Kleiber and Toscanini. I'm not that up on the 8th.

See ya
Steve

Sep 28, 2005 at 7:16 AM Post #3 of 13
6: Munch/Boston SO 1955, just rereleased on a RCA Living Stereo SACD. It also exists in a 3x more expensive XRCD.

7: Furtwängler/Wiener Philharmoniker 1950, out on a fairly cheap EMI Historical release.

8: Böhm/Wiener Philharmoniker 1972, I am not a big fan of the 8th, so this one suffices for the occasions that I do listen to it.

Sep 28, 2005 at 1:25 PM Post #4 of 13
6: My all-time favorite 6th is Ansermet - Orchestre Suisse Romande. Sadly not available on CD. My second favorite is probably Barenboim. Walter has many fans with this work as well. Also, the Munch that PSmith mentioned is outstanding.

7: Kleiber (teamed up with 5 on a must-have CD), Dorati, Gardiner.

8. This is the ugly stepchild of Beethoven symphonies, surprisingly few satisfying interpretations exist. My favorite is probably Zinman.

Sep 28, 2005 at 2:55 PM Post #5 of 13
You might as well get complete 1-9 set cheap instead of 3 individual CDs which may cost close to same price.....especially if you are just starting. There are no bad LVB symphonies.

I think nanahachi is asking for works with better sound quality, so try these as good starter sets:
Zinman
Karajan 1963

Sep 28, 2005 at 9:26 PM Post #6 of 13
thanks guys!

DA, I was going to PM you, I'm glad you chimed in here
smily_headphones1.gif

I was looking at the Monteux b/c btwn 2 discs I can have all 9, but I will definitely check out all of your suggestions!

Sep 28, 2005 at 10:20 PM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by nanahachi
thanks guys!

DA, I was going to PM you, I'm glad you chimed in here
smily_headphones1.gif

I was looking at the Monteux b/c btwn 2 discs I can have all 9, but I will definitely check out all of your suggestions!

The 1960's Monteux set for Decca is very good but look closely those are 2CD cases so both have 4CDs total.....and 9th is not included in 4CDs.

Sep 29, 2005 at 12:48 AM Post #8 of 13
I don't know if it is still available, but the Bohm Beethoven Symphony cycle used to be available on twofers. If you can still get it like that, it would be a bargain and a good all around set.

See ya
Steve

Sep 29, 2005 at 4:37 AM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigshot
I don't know if it is still available, but the Bohm Beethoven Symphony cycle used to be available on twofers. If you can still get it like that, it would be a bargain and a good all around set.

See ya
Steve

3X2CD not a small amount of money

Sep 29, 2005 at 5:40 AM Post #10 of 13
Too bad. The Bohm set used to be two disks for the price of one. The whole set was $45. There's always the Brilliant Classics set by Blomstedt. That one must still be cheap.

See ya
Steve

Sep 29, 2005 at 4:52 PM Post #11 of 13
Kleiber in 7, Szell or Gardiner in 6 & 8.

Sep 29, 2005 at 5:18 PM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigshot
Too bad. The Bohm set used to be two disks for the price of one. The whole set was $45. There's always the Brilliant Classics set by Blomstedt. That one must still be cheap.

See ya
Steve

It still is: Amazon lists each set at $13.99 or $14.99 new. A great price for a first-class Beethoven symphony cycle.

Jeffery

Sep 30, 2005 at 7:26 PM Post #13 of 13
thanks everyone!!

I went with DA's suggestion of the Karajan 1963 after doing a bit of reading, picked up all 9 for $23.99 + shipping on amazon mktplace. I'll see how i like them, and may have to revisit this thread to check out your other suggestions.

again, thanks a TON guys

Users who are viewing this thread

Back