Beethoven Symphonies
Dec 24, 2008 at 7:58 AM Post #916 of 944
I have a question for you Beethoven aficionados.

If you were only able to keep TWO box sets (or almost complete set) of the Beethoven symphonies from your collection, whose performances would you keep? What makes them special?

p.s. If you really don't need two, then what is "the one"

Dec 24, 2008 at 2:38 PM Post #917 of 944
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Bunny,
You and I are in agreement regarding Abbado. I like some of his earlier recordings, but the last 20 years have seen him turn into the Kenny G of the classical world. Too smooth, too perfect, resulting in the abstract of music and not the lifeblood of music itself.

I don't agree; his DVD's of Mahler 2 and 9 are two of the most vital, alive performances of anything I've ever seen. These are hardly emotionally compressed and smoothed-out--did someone slip some Karajan discs into your player while you weren't watching?

Dec 24, 2008 at 3:53 PM Post #918 of 944
Quote:

Originally Posted by pbarach /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't agree; his DVD's of Mahler 2 and 9 are two of the most vital, alive performances of anything I've ever seen. These are hardly emotionally compressed and smoothed-out--did someone slip some Karajan discs into your player while you weren't watching?

Mahler's music is inherently emotional, but compare performances by Abbado to performances by other conductors and you will realize that Abbado's key quality is restraint. He never lets go completely; he walks only so close to the edge of the precipice.

Dec 24, 2008 at 4:01 PM Post #919 of 944
Quote:

Originally Posted by Markhead /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a question for you Beethoven aficionados.

If you were only able to keep TWO box sets (or almost complete set) of the Beethoven symphonies from your collection, whose performances would you keep? What makes them special?

p.s. If you really don't need two, then what is "the one"

Better to ask which 2 performances of each symphony I would keep. I doubt I will ever find a box set which I think is so perfect, let alone 2. In any event, I havn't the patience to go through all of my sets to determine which set and which symphonies are top. Let's just say that on a given day I'll have 2 different cycles on my ipod. Currently I'm in a HIP mood so I have the Hogwood cycle and parts of the Dausgaard and one Immerseel, 2 Tafelmusik, and some of the Gardiner on the pod. I also have a few discs of the Vänskä as well (not HIP but for comparison). When you have so many cycles that you can't

Dec 24, 2008 at 5:30 PM Post #921 of 944
While I'm not the expert others are here, I love two sets I have and like the other 2 quite a bit, and three of them are cheap.

The one I like the most is Zinman with the Tonhalle Orchestra Zurich. They really grab me. I'm not sure exactly why, maybe the fast pace. I got this with the incredible $25, 60 CD set Amazon had last year. Probably the best deal I've ever seen. Still a pretty good deal at $62

The other set I love is the Vanska, but I don't have the complete set.

I'd be satisfied with the two other sets I have even though I like the others better is Szell and Blomstedt.

Dec 26, 2008 at 4:43 AM Post #922 of 944
Vanka is by far my favorite Beethoven cycle overall. The string are incredibly tight and I love the way they pass phrases between each other in seamlessly.

The album is also mastered well if that matters.

Dec 27, 2008 at 2:24 AM Post #923 of 944
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bunnyears /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mahler's music is inherently emotional, but compare performances by Abbado to performances by other conductors and you will realize that Abbado's key quality is restraint. He never lets go completely; he walks only so close to the edge of the precipice.

He's not trying to be Leonard Bernstein, but I thought he let go plenty at the end of the Mahler 2, or in the Mahler 9 Rondo Burleske.

Feb 16, 2009 at 7:00 PM Post #924 of 944
A critical re-evaluation of Szell and Cleveland's set is in order.

I've been living with the original CD masters of these performances for quite a while, and I really enjoyed their driven, intense, precise, but still disciplined style. But one thing that was lacking, IMO, was some of the color and variety of sound and dynamics you get in other recordings (such as Vanska, Jarvi, Mackerras, even Gardiner).

But, about a year ago I picked up the DSD remastered set for a song, and it is now clear to me that the "faults" I listed above were almost entirely a result of engineers futzing with the EQ and the balances. In the new masterings a more natural sound has been restored. There are actual "piano (soft)" parts to be heard, possibly for the first time ever.

Same goes for orchestral color - gone is the monochromatic presentation of the previous mastering, and replacing it is a good variety of tone and color. Not "great", especially by today's standards, but enough to dispel the idea that Szell was insensitive to this part of the music.

Overall I'd say the remastering takes a great set and makes it even better. Still my favorite overall set of anything I've heard.

Feb 16, 2009 at 7:34 PM Post #925 of 944
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But, about a year ago I picked up the DSD remastered set for a song, and it is now clear to me that the "faults" I listed above were almost entirely a result of engineers futzing with the EQ and the balances. In the new masterings a more natural sound has been restored. There are actual "piano (soft)" parts to be heard, possibly for the first time ever.

I am not clear which release Szell set you are referring to, is it

5187E3FFFCL._SL160_AA115_.jpg
41883DNHREL._SL160_AA115_.jpg

or something else not shown? Where did you get it?

Feb 16, 2009 at 7:43 PM Post #926 of 944
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am not clear which release Szell set you are referring to, is it

5187E3FFFCL._SL160_AA115_.jpg
41883DNHREL._SL160_AA115_.jpg

or something else not shown? Where did you get it?

The "Original Jacket" set. Picked it up used locally.

Feb 16, 2009 at 9:42 PM Post #927 of 944
Tyson
What does the packaging look like for those deluxe sets?
I assume you get original "jacket" artwork for each symphony, how many Cds are in that set?
Is there a nice booklet also?

Feb 16, 2009 at 9:56 PM Post #928 of 944
The Karajan bargain CD set is great - I also own his late 70's cycle on vinyl...Check out Carlos Kleiber's 5th - amazing! I don't care for Karajan conducting the Pastoral - much prefer Bohm.

Feb 16, 2009 at 10:03 PM Post #929 of 944
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Tyson
What does the packaging look like for those deluxe sets?
I assume you get original "jacket" artwork for each symphony, how many Cds are in that set?
Is there a nice booklet also?

Packaging for the original jackets sets is usually small cardboard cd slip cases decorated with the graphics originally used for the LP releases. The Szell OJ (10 cds) has the Beethoven symphonies, the overtures, Mozart's Jupiter, and a few other orchestral works. The Beethoven piano concertos are not included in it. You can see some of the "jackets" at the amazon website.

Feb 16, 2009 at 11:12 PM Post #930 of 944
Yep, and I don't think the Red Box used the same masters as the Original Jacket box set, but I'm not 100% sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back