Beethoven cycle packaging
Nov 29, 2003 at 8:04 AM Post #16 of 28
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by tmesis

Some Beethoven cycles I've liked are:

-Piano sonatas: Kempff, Schnabel, Goode. There's also a Gieseking set, I believe. Heard good things about Barenboim's first set but haven't heard it much.

-Quartets: I've listened to the Tokyo Quartet set and liked it. I have one CD of from the Vegh set. It is categorically superior to any other performance I've heard on recording.

-Symphonies: Gardener's ok, but he conducts like a ferrari without a break. Karajan sounds mediocre and soulless to me. I'm very happy with Bruggen's 3rd, Carlos Kleiber's 5th & 7th, and Bohm's 6th.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For Beethoven piano sonatas, there is nothing better than the Kempff/Menuhin set for my taste. The performance is fantastic. On Beethoven Quartets I like a complete set recorded in the '80s by the Smetana Quartet issued on Denon CD, and on the Beethoven Symphonies I own the Gardiner set and also a Karajan set, but I only enjoy few selected performances in the sets, Gardiner's pacing on some do not appeal to me, and Karajan has grand performances, but like you said something is missing.

W

Dec 5, 2003 at 1:36 PM Post #17 of 28
My resistance is weak...........ordered new Rattle/EMI Beethoven set, price was very reasonable for new set on major label.
cool.gif

Fractus
Did you get your Zinman set yet? How does the Gardiner set sound to you so far?

May I put in a word for the Gunther Wand (rip) sets recently reissued by RCA.........these are first rate sets at mid price that should be purchased by any serious collector, sound has been remastered giving them even greater insights.

Brahms 1-4 (2 cd)
Beethoven 1-9 (5 cd)
Schubert 1-9 (5 cd)

Wand

Dec 6, 2003 at 4:00 AM Post #18 of 28
Quote:

Fractus
Did you get your Zinman set yet? How does the Gardiner set sound to you so far?

DarkAngel, Yup, sure did. I like them both actually. Great sound out of these recordings. I'm looking forward to more listening since I got my RA-1 to drive my RS-1s. This is also the first time I'm listening to symphonies 3, 6, 8, and 9. Beautiful.

I saw the price of the new Rattle cycle too, not bad. My pre-santa credit may be getting overextended though. But then again I don't have any Schubert symphonies.

biggrin.gif
cool.gif
cool.gif

Dec 6, 2003 at 1:08 PM Post #19 of 28
Schubert Symphonies.........get no respect
These are the hidden gems (best kept secret) of the classical world, overshadowed by Beethoven set. These are wonderful including the early symphonies, and I believe the Schubert 9th eclipses any symphony by Beethoven!

There are precious few Schubert complete symphony sets, the 1st choice is easy call...........Abbado/DG, these are some of the best recordings ever done Abbado, unfortunately very expensive full price import:

Abbado

The Wand/RCA set is next best available, and this is before I have heard the remastered version, price is also much lower.

Dec 12, 2003 at 12:26 PM Post #21 of 28
Quote:

Originally posted by fractus2
I decided to give a couple of Schubert symphonies a try with this Solti collection:

That should be great 2CD set, the Solti/London with VPO is a very highly rated version................maybe I should look into that, didn't know it was now mid price set

I just got the remastered Wand/RCA complete set here:

Schubert Set

You cannot beat that price for new set, $41.95

Dec 12, 2003 at 12:55 PM Post #22 of 28
Quote:

Originally posted by DarkAngel
I just got the remastered Wand/RCA complete set here:

That's a great price. Is this the same as this arkivmusic listing? I think I'm getting confused by the RSO in the alldirect listing. The release date of 11/18/2003 and label looks the same.

Dec 12, 2003 at 2:56 PM Post #23 of 28
Quote:

That's a great price. Is this the same as this arkivmusic listing? I think I'm getting confused by the RSO in the alldirect listing. The release date of 11/18/2003 and label looks the same.

Yes, that is the same one.............Alldirect has lowest prices for new classical if they carry it.
cool.gif

Jan 7, 2004 at 3:55 AM Post #24 of 28
Just wanted to resurrect this thread with some comments on a recent purchase...

I needed some newer Beethoven, so I used a Barnes & Noble gift card I got for Christmas to buy the Wand/RCA Beethoven Symphony box. I am up to my ears in single Beethoven recordings, yet I must say that this remastered set (originally 1986) beats them all in terms of recording quality. The music is just so rich and detailed and alive compared to any of my singles (mostly on DG).

As for the performance, it also now stands on the top of my list for modern instrument performances of the symphonies. The Pastorale (No 6), one of my all-time favorites, particularly exemplifies Wand's magic with the modern full symphonic orchestra. I can finally admit that I prefer certain of these (including the 6th & 9th) over the period instrument versions by Gardiner.

Each symphony is paired (except for the 9th) and in its own jewel case, all of which fit neatly into a simple cardboard sleeve. No gimmicks, no folders, etc. Good packaging -- tons better than some of my other box sets that just come in sleeves inside a common box.

For those needing a starting point in their Beethoven cycle, or old timers looking for a fresh set, the Wand set is the way to go!

--Chris

Jan 7, 2004 at 12:34 PM Post #26 of 28
Quote:

Originally posted by DarkAngel
May I put in a word for the Gunther Wand (rip) sets recently reissued by RCA.........these are first rate sets at mid price that should be purchased by any serious collector, sound has been remastered giving them even greater insights.

Brahms 1-4 (2 cd)
Beethoven 1-9 (5 cd)
Schubert 1-9 (5 cd)

Yes definitely get Wand/RCA remasters not only for Beethoven but also Brahms & Schubert.......these are equally good also at mid price.
cool.gif

BTW........I already had the original Wand/RCA Beethoven & Brahms set but purchased the new remasters because the sound has been noticeably improved and sold at mid price. There is also a Wand/RCA Bruckner symphony set just like the three above released but not quite as great overall performances (I would definitely get the super budget Tintner/Naxos as first choice of any Bruckner set out now)

Jan 7, 2004 at 9:08 PM Post #27 of 28
Quote:

BTW, is this the recording you got?

That's the one!

Thanks for the info, DarkAngel. I definitely planned on getting the Brahms set, but I wasn't aware of a Schubert set. I have zilch Schubert, so maybe Wand is a good place to start.

As for Bruckner, I agree. Tintner has a way with Bruckner that I prefer over all others.

--Chris

Jan 7, 2004 at 10:41 PM Post #28 of 28
Thanks for the info on the Brahms and Schubert sets DarkAngel. Definitely concur with both of you on the Tintner/Naxos set, even if they do come in paper sleeves (handle them kind of like LPs). Wonderful sounding symphonies. I'm on the last disc right now (alternate versions I think).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back