Beethoven cycle packaging
Nov 20, 2003 at 9:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

fractus2

Headphoneus Supremus
Greetings Team Classical. I'm shopping around for a Beethoven cycle and wanted to know which of the recommended recordings come in jewel cases? I really don't want to get those cardboard sleeves and risk scratching the discs, but you got to do what you got to do. I recently got a Mozart piano sonata collection by Eschenback (5 disc set) and bought jewel cases for each disc, replacing the cardboard.

Also, what is your favorite cycle?

MastersVoice.jpg

Nov 20, 2003 at 9:48 PM Post #2 of 28
John Elliot Gardiner on Archiv Musik is my favorite (the playing has a lot of vigor and incredible rhythm), and it comes in jewel cases. Very good recorded sound quality as well.

Nov 20, 2003 at 11:51 PM Post #4 of 28
My current favorite complete sets are by Charles Mackerras, on EMI, & alternately by David Zinman on the Arte Nova Label. I have other favorites as individual recordings, but for complete sets these are the two that I would pick.

Both use modern instruments with original instrument sensibility, in the implementation of the masters music. If I had to make a choice between the two it would be for the Mackerras set. The Mackerras recording of the 9th Symphony is really something special.

-augustwest

Nov 20, 2003 at 11:52 PM Post #5 of 28
There are so many choices out there for Beethoven cycles -- I think it is the most common type of classical box set. I've been curious about the Barenboim Beethoven DVD-A cycle, although I've read some reviews that claim that there are significant recording problems with some of the symphonies -- problems that could easily have been corrected by proper mastering.

Nov 21, 2003 at 12:40 AM Post #6 of 28
OMG, how can I choose only one.............
frown.gif
frown.gif

OK best overall modern instrument performance/value/sound goes to:

Zinman/Arte Nova

How can you beat that price, I like this a bit better than the 1960 Karajan/DG warhorse, these modern instrument performances have the benefit of learning from various period performance sets of the previous 15 years, produces generally faster tempos and clarified textures........this is a no brainer. (also have the MacKerras/EMI set mentioned above, but like the Zinman a bit better......tempos are a bit faster)

If money is no object I guess my very favorite modern instrument performance is:

Abbado/DG (2000)

This set completely eclipses Abbado's ponderous 1980's DG set with VPO...............Abbado was greatly influenced by period instrument movement and using modern instruments the style is dramatically transformed from 1980's set. the sound is excellent and packaging is the best I have seen for any Beethoven set.

Finally everyone should own a period instrument set and the best overall for me is:

Gardiner/Archiv

Actually the pioneers in this movement are Norrington and Hogwood, I have both of these sets also. Gardiner's set came several years later and he learned well from others creating a set that has the best ideas/styles combined. Sound is not great but very good.

BTW.........I saw in latest Penguin guide they really like new Rattle/EMI set at mid price, but I have not heard this set myself.
(I will probably purchase it sometime soon)

Nov 21, 2003 at 4:12 AM Post #7 of 28
Thanks for the recommendations guys. Now which of those come in jewel cases? [scratches head]
tongue.gif

Here are the two I'm seriously considering:

Quote:

John Elliot Gardiner on Archiv Musik is my favorite (the playing has a lot of vigor and incredible rhythm), and it comes in jewel cases.

Quote:

Zinman/Arte Nova
How can you beat that price, I like this a bit better than the 1960 Karajan/DG warhorse, these modern instrument performances have the benefit of learning from various period performance sets of the previous 15 years, produces generally faster tempos and clarified textures........this is a no brainer.

Let us know about the Rattle/EMI DarkAngel.

Nov 21, 2003 at 4:30 AM Post #8 of 28
I've heard Zinman, and I have to be a voice of dissent here - he plays beethoven too fast. Now, Gardiner is fast too, but Gardiner does not sound like he's racing to the finish link like Zinman does. Rhythmically and musically Gardiner is much better. I've had probably a dozen or more beethoven cycles pass through my player, and Gardiner remains at the top (although Abbado, Szell, and Karajan challenged him for a short time).

Nov 21, 2003 at 1:41 PM Post #9 of 28
Quote:

Originally posted by fractus2
Thanks for the recommendations guys. Now which of those come in jewel cases? [scratches head]
tongue.gif

Here are the two I'm seriously considering:

Zinman/Arte Nova - comes in indivudual jewel cases.
Gardiner/Archiv - comes in two 4CD jewel cases. (most common packaging method)

The newest budget packaging by DG/Archiv which they used recently on multi CD budget sets (cardboard box with paper sleeves for CDs) is very new.............I have a couple including:
DVORAK 9 Symphonies - Kubelik/DG
MOZART complete symphonies - Pinnock/Archiv

It does take up less space and weigh less (important when shipping from EU to around the world) but as you say does not ideally protect CD as well as jewel case.

Nov 21, 2003 at 10:24 PM Post #10 of 28
Quote:

Originally posted by DarkAngel
Zinman/Arte Nova - comes in indivudual jewel cases.
Gardiner/Archiv - comes in two 4CD jewel cases. (most common packaging method)

Outstanding! Thanks DarkAngel.

MastersVoice.jpg

Nov 22, 2003 at 2:37 AM Post #11 of 28
Certainly Japan must be one of the best places to buy Beethoven cycles. For example, I recently saw a a new cycle by Ozawa and the Saito Kinen Orchestra. (I'm not fond of Ozawa and think the Saito Kinen is not up to the highest standards, so I didn't hear this.)

And playing Beethoven's Ninth is a New Year's tradition in Japan, much like playing the music of Strauss is a Viennese tradition.

Nov 22, 2003 at 3:39 AM Post #12 of 28
Quote:

Originally posted by Music Fanatic
Certainly Japan must be one of the best places to buy Beethoven cycles. For example, I recently saw a a new cycle by Ozawa and the Saito Kinen Orchestra. (I'm not fond of Ozawa and think the Saito Kinen is not up to the highest standards, so I didn't hear this.)

With the Yen being so strong, music is very pricy out in town. Plus most CDs are bilingual, the novelty of which wears off pretty fast. I've got an Ozawa Mahler No. 1 that I like to listen to, but that's about it right now.

Nov 22, 2003 at 3:54 AM Post #13 of 28
Quote:

Originally posted by fractus2
With the Yen being so strong, music is very pricy out in town. Plus most CDs are bilingual, the novelty of which wears off pretty fast. I've got an Ozawa Mahler No. 1 that I like to listen to, but that's about it right now.

I find that if I buy items from amazon.co.jp, and have them shipped express to the US, they arrive in 2 days and the shipping cost (for large orders) is often less than what I would have had to pay in Japanese sales tax anyway.

(The same is true, by the way, for items from amazon.co.uk, although usually I choose slower shipments form that supplier.)

Nov 22, 2003 at 6:38 AM Post #14 of 28
Some Beethoven cycles I've liked are:

-Piano sonatas: Kempff, Schnabel, Goode. There's also a Gieseking set, I believe. Heard good things about Barenboim's first set but haven't heard it much.

-Quartets: I've listened to the Tokyo Quartet set and liked it. I have one CD of from the Vegh set. It is categorically superior to any other performance I've heard on recording.

-Symphonies: Gardener's ok, but he conducts like a ferrari without a break. Karajan sounds mediocre and soulless to me. I'm very happy with Bruggen's 3rd, Carlos Kleiber's 5th & 7th, and Bohm's 6th.

Nov 29, 2003 at 1:48 AM Post #15 of 28
I ordered two cycles, the Gardiner and the Zinman. Just got the Gardiner in yesterday (Friday) and man that was fast, seven days from online order (ArkivMusic) to post office pickup. I have to say that the packaging is very impressive. Two quad CD jewel cases; three discs in one and three in the other. The last disc is an interview with Gardiner. Liner note booklet is 40 pages long with photos of some of the musicians and credits for each individual symphony. It'll be awhile before I listen to all of this but wanted to report on the outstanding packaging. Thanks Tyson, DarkAngel, and everyone for the recommendations.

MastersVoice.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back