Been introduced with DT770, time for a new experience. Suggestions?
Jan 4, 2013 at 8:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Envyous

New Head-Fier
So I love my Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 32Ohm and have had them for around 2 years now. I find them VERY comfortable and can wear them like 12 hours "straight" without them hurting at all. When it comes to DT770 being "too bassy" I don't feel they are, I think they are very beautiful (most friends complain there is "too little" bass (but they are clueless, loving their "wireless bass boosted 7.1 headsets").

I have Asus Xonar Essence STX and it is fantastic. I will probably not buy an extra AMP if I get a new headset, as this is supposed to work fine for even 500Ohm headsets. The time I enjoy my headphones the most is when i crank up WASAPI FLAC music. I enjoy listening to Electronica/Synthpop style and Movie Music/Instrumental music. It should be noted that I will use this headset for all my PC use, including movies, games and other stuff, but music is the priority.

I am no expert in the audiophile universe yet. I have noticed that people say it is a common problem with DT770 that their midrange is kind of bad.

When it comes to pricerange I am looking for something in the same range or slightly higher. I also want some punch in it (Fun) but I don't want it to go out over the quality. I want most quality for each money, so if the difference is close to nothing for way more expencive price I probably won't need it. I have been looking at Sennheiser HD650 but it is a bit too expencive.

I know Audio Technica M-50 is very loved, but won't this be almost same sounding as DT770? Also I have heard it is not very comfortable in the long run.

I have been looking at DT990 Pro 250Ohm for a new kind of experience (since it is open), with the same amazing comfort. Is this a good idea?

I have even concidering just buying a DT770 Pro 80Ohm or DT770 250Ohm to see if I notice a difference. I will use the old one as well on another PC so 2xDT770 is not unlikely, since I love it.

I probably have to buy the headset all new so please don't suggest any outdated headsets or headsets that are not popular.

TL;DR: I am looking for a PC headset that is comfortable and gives a "new experience" from the current DT770 Pro 32Ohm. The price should be about the same or slightly higher. The headset needs to be common in web stores. 

Jan 4, 2013 at 10:51 PM Post #2 of 7
You will get a similar comfortable fit with the DT-990s.  In terms of getting a new experience,
you're also getting open (or is it semi-open) style so that should give you a better sound
image.  I find that change gives a more natural feeling sound.  So well worth trying just for that.

But I wonder... wouldn't the 32 ohm model be easier to drive?  With my 600 ohm version
(I know, more extreme than the 250 ohm) you really have to have an amp.

Jan 4, 2013 at 11:02 PM Post #3 of 7
The 770 pro 32 just came out this year, correct? It's the limited edition and it supposedly sounds better / different than typical beyers. Might want to look into it.

Jan 4, 2013 at 11:17 PM Post #4 of 7
Quote:
The 770 pro 32 just came out this year, correct? It's the limited edition and it supposedly sounds better / different than typical beyers. Might want to look into it.

Didn't the OP just say those are what he owns?

Jan 5, 2013 at 1:13 AM Post #5 of 7
That's why I was clarifying. Not sure how he could own headphones two years before they were released. I am assuming he means he owns the DT770 Premium 32.

Quote:
Didn't the OP just say those are what he owns?

Jan 5, 2013 at 2:56 AM Post #6 of 7
I think it would be a waste of money to buy a different impedance version of the same headphone - if they are to be your only two headphones.
Audiophiles are quick to point out differences between them, but to a casual listener, these differences are so subtle that they'll likely go unrecognised.

The DT 990's are great headphones, and probably my favorite headphone that I do not own in that price range.
They have the same comfort as the 770's (and are slightly lighter), have great bass for an open can, but the highs can be a bit shrill for some (or so I've read).
I didn't have a problem with the highs, but I only auditioned them a few times for 15 minute sessions. I can see how they might become fatiguing for long use though.

Another option (if you can find them used) is the Denon D2000. These are fun fun fun, have great sub-bass, are amazing for music and movies alike... and are just fantastic sounding overall.
Being discontinued, their prices have risen dramatically, but I'm seen a few pop up in the for sale forum around your price range.

Both the D2000's and the 990's are fun cans with great bass. Audition them first if you can.

Jan 5, 2013 at 3:47 AM Post #7 of 7
Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 32 ohm (not Limited Edition) have been sold in some countries for a long time. They even come in the 80 ohm box with a sticker that says 32 ohm. Never heard about DT770 Premium 32 ohm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back