Been gone awhile...got the itch for something new...
Dec 30, 2019 at 5:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

ArmAndHammer

Headphoneus Supremus
Been browsing a couple sites looking at some lower budget options. Like $200-ish or less. Two that caught my eye was the MASSDROP X SENNHEISER HD 6XX for $195 and the MASSDROP X HIFIMAN HE4XX PLANAR MAGNETIC for $130. Doesn't have to be from Massdrop. That's the site I was most recently on and those two grabbed my attention. I was also a little intrigued by the MASSDROP X KOSS ESP/95X ELECTROSTATIC SYSTEM but it's $400.

I've never tried the Sennheiser but I know it's kinda a gold standard. I have owned the Hifiman HE400 before and I liked it but I did choose my Phillips X2 over it but I don't think I had an amp that could drive it to full potential when I tested it. I understand it needs a bit more power than a lot of headphones. Current hardware that I own and use are in my signature.

As far as listening...it's all over so I can't really say I'm looking for something that plays a particular genre since I listen to a lot of different stuff but I guess it mostly leans towards rock/metal but I love acoustic stuff too. I like detail and a warmer sound signature. Love bass too but not looking for a bass heavy headphone. Good soundstage is always very much appreciated.

Thoughts and/or other suggestions?

Dec 30, 2019 at 6:29 PM Post #4 of 10
Hard to go wrong with Beyerdynamics DT770 Pro. Well under $200 and proven performers. Super comfortable.
Had them. Loved them. Would like something different though I wouldn't mind picking up another pair someday.

Dec 30, 2019 at 6:35 PM Post #5 of 10
6XX is an HD 650 rebranded. 4XX is pretty much a 400i with a different headband iirc. 95X is the same headphone as the ESP950 from 1990 but with new velour pads.
Right. But I don't think I'd find a new HD 650 for $195. The HiFiman isn't an amazing deal but still saving like $25 or $30. MSRP on the ESP950 non-Massdrop is like $999. Not sure what the real world price is/was but $400 seems decent though twice what I'm looking to spend but maybe I'd consider for an entry level electrostatic if they are decent. Reviews seem good.

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2019 at 8:28 PM Post #7 of 10
Yeah...I like them a lot and they were a great fit when I chose them over the Hifiman. But I don't remember having my Shiit audio amp when I tested the HE 400 so I don't know if I was able to give them a fair shake. It was really close and I could have gone either way. If I don't buy another headphone I'd be perfectly happy...but I'm sure you know how it is. Sometimes you just gotta try something new to keep things interesting. For the price I might just give the HE 400 another go. I just wanted to see if anyone had any other interesting suggestions.

Jan 1, 2020 at 1:53 AM Post #8 of 10
Went ahead and ordered the HE4XX. Can't wait!

Jan 2, 2020 at 12:49 PM Post #9 of 10
Well crap...got shipping and tracking today. Headphones being dropped shipped from China :triportsad:

So probably 2 weeks minimum before I get them. Oh well. Still stoked about the good deal and excited to give them a re-try.

Jan 2, 2020 at 2:54 PM Post #10 of 10
Massdrop tends to voice the cans a bit different.

I love my 4xx, channel matching is a bit disappointing, but they are a seriously laid back headphone and tons of fun. They are my beside the bed cans, with my Ether CX for everything else

Users who are viewing this thread

Back