Been being recommended the ATH-M50, not sure what I need.
Jul 18, 2013 at 12:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 43

Helltech

New Head-Fier
So a few other forums have been recommending me the ATH-M50s, but I'm not sure they are right for me. So I decided to come here because it actually looks like people know what the heck they are talking about here.

Here is the deal. I have about 400-500 to spend (I'd really like to spend no more than 400 unless the quality improvement is major). Next, I want really nice bass. I was originally going to go with 598's, but I was told that Sennheiser's bass isn't all that great. While bass is important to me deeply, I don't want to sacrifice quiality in other departments just for that. I would also like (I think) open-hear. Do to the fact they supposedly have a richer more natural sound to them and I don't plan on taking them out of my room. Next I need either a soundcard (was originally going to get Asus Essense ST, but I was told an external solution would be much better. I don't care either way.

So yeah, right now all I have is Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro, which I well aware isn't good enough for anything =/. and a pair of headphones I'm ashamed to even mention. With that said, can anyone point in the right direction.

Jul 18, 2013 at 12:32 PM Post #2 of 43
The nice thing about the M50 is that they can be powered by anything. They are closed so you can take them with you and just plug them into your phone and have good quality music. They are bass heavy but I think in a good way.

But using your budget of $500... lets see what would best fit.

Will these headphones be for music or games or both? Which one has a priority? Will the computer be your only source?

Jul 18, 2013 at 12:43 PM Post #3 of 43
The nice thing about the M50 is that they can be powered by anything. They are closed so you can take them with you and just plug them into your phone and have good quality music. They are bass heavy but I think in a good way.

But using your budget of $500... lets see what would best fit.

Will these headphones be for music or games or both? Which one has a priority? Will the computer be your only source?

PC would be only source. If there was an external solution I could use where I could get my TV hooked up to the DAC/Sound Card what ever that would be awesome, but not necessary at all.

I won't be taking them anywhere so that isn't a big deal.

Music is biggest priority, I listen to everything, from classical, to rock, to death metal, to dubstep.

Game is important too, but not as much as music. If I can tell "direction" in FPS games of footsteps and gunshots then that's more than enough for me on the gaming front.

I'd also really like to keep it around 400 USD, unless I would be sacrificing too much quality at that point.

Jul 18, 2013 at 12:46 PM Post #4 of 43
So, to sum it up, you want:
  1. Good bass without compromise
  2. Open-back (though closed is a better choice for bassy cans)
  3. Budget of $500

With a budget like that, you don't really need to spend all that much. To maximize your budget however, I have no knowledge of cans that deliver well in the bass region without compromise at that price range. The best 400 dollar headphone has got to be the HD 600/650, but you could simply get the Custom One Pro for about half price.
The COP has a very interesting quirk: You could augment the bass if you so choose by sliding a slider that opens or closes bass ports depending on how much bass you want. I plan to get this pair myself. I will recommend these as you basically own 4 pairs of headphones at about 200 bucks.

Jul 18, 2013 at 12:50 PM Post #5 of 43
So, to sum it up, you want:
  • Good bass without compromise
  • Open-back (though closed is a better choice for bassy cans)
  • Budget of $500

Your best bet could be getting a Sennheiser HD600, but as it doesn't have that much bass...
You could try the Beyerdynamic DT770, which is a semi-open pair. It is also quite powerful in the bass register.
I might want to recommend the Custom One Pro, however. It has a slider that covers bass ports which, when opened, will give powerful bass. I also want these cans, and you could get these for about 200 bucks.

What DAC or soundcard would you recommend? How poor is the bass on the HD600s? For the DT700 what version would you suggest 80? 32? 250 ohm? I was looking into the DT700s earlier because I've heard good things about Beyerdynamics.

Jul 18, 2013 at 12:56 PM Post #7 of 43
The DT990 fits your needs quite good. Huge soundstage with a very detailed sound, also very bassy. The mids are a bit pushed back, but they're nice and clear. Pair them up with a decent DAC/amp and you have yourself an awesome setup.

Jul 18, 2013 at 1:01 PM Post #8 of 43
Quote:
 Next, I want really nice bass. I was originally going to go with 598's, but I was told that Sennheiser's bass isn't all that great. While bass is important to me deeply....

Quote:
Music is biggest priority, I listen to everything, from classical, to rock, to death metal, to dubstep.

Game is important too, but not as much as music. If I can tell "direction" in FPS games of footsteps....

Define, 'nice bass'.  Are you talking straight up quantity (which can be confused with 'fullness') or are you talking quality/extension?

From one audiophile gamer to the next, HD598 is EXCELLENT for gaming and movies. Bass quality and impact is similarly good (it sounds epic on BF3 ruining straight out of a USB sound card). It's also good for all the 'audiophile' main stays (classical, jazz, ect) and most popular music, but not as great for EDM and 'harder' stuff.

M50s does well in the bass, but is not so great for gaming and based on the generousness of you budget you may be better served looking at higher tier headphones. 

Check this thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-lust-envys-headphone-gaming-guide-updated-5-23-2013-mrspeakers-mad-dog-v-3-2-reviewed

Jul 18, 2013 at 2:11 PM Post #10 of 43
Quote:
So a few other forums have been recommending me the ATH-M50s, but I'm not sure they are right for me. So I decided to come here because it actually looks like people know what the heck they are talking about here.

Here is the deal. I have about 400-500 to spend (I'd really like to spend no more than 400 unless the quality improvement is major). Next, I want really nice bass. I was originally going to go with 598's, but I was told that Sennheiser's bass isn't all that great. While bass is important to me deeply, I don't want to sacrifice quiality in other departments just for that. I would also like (I think) open-hear. Do to the fact they supposedly have a richer more natural sound to them and I don't plan on taking them out of my room. Next I need either a soundcard (was originally going to get Asus Essense ST, but I was told an external solution would be much better. I don't care either way.

So yeah, right now all I have is Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro, which I well aware isn't good enough for anything =/. and a pair of headphones I'm ashamed to even mention. With that said, can anyone point in the right direction.

A good lower cost solution.
Keep the SB-TFP(Titanium Fatal1ty Pro) and get the Schiit Magni ($99) headphone amplifier, plug the Magni into the SB-TFP's line-out/headphone jack.

Get the Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250-Ohm headphones, $170, plug the DT990s into the Magni amp.
Total with tax and shipping should be just under $300.

Also the Magni amp. could easily be plugged into the TV's headphone jack.

Jul 18, 2013 at 2:19 PM Post #11 of 43
Quote:
What DAC or soundcard would you recommend? How poor is the bass on the HD600s? For the DT700 what version would you suggest 80? 32? 250 ohm? I was looking into the DT700s earlier because I've heard good things about Beyerdynamics.

I own the DT770 Pro 80-Ohm and DT770 Pro 250-Ohm headphone.
But I like the DT990s better.

Jul 18, 2013 at 7:23 PM Post #12 of 43
So many different suggestions! Variety is sometimes a bad thing. I have no idea where to start. I will start researching your guys' suggestions.

Define, 'nice bass'.  Are you talking straight up quantity (which can be confused with 'fullness') or are you talking quality/extension?

I'm not sure because I'm not used to audiophile equipment. I don't want it to be like static-y or rattle like in quality as I've heard some of my friends Razer (lol) headphones be like. So I guess quality is what I'm talking about. More than quantity, but I want the quantity there which has put me off Sennheiser.

A good lower cost solution.
Keep the SB-TFP(Titanium Fatal1ty Pro) and get the Schiit Magni ($99) headphone amplifier, plug the Magni into the SB-TFP's line-out/headphone jack.

Does anyone else like this idea?

I own the DT770 Pro 80-Ohm and DT770 Pro 250-Ohm headphone.
But I like the DT990s better.
The DT990 fits your needs quite good. Huge soundstage with a very detailed sound, also very bassy. The mids are a bit pushed back, but they're nice and clear. Pair them up with a decent DAC/amp and you have yourself an awesome setup.

I really like the look of this headphone. The earcup looks very soft. Would the 250ohm variant be alright? It seems the only in my budget that would leave room for a decent DAC/Soundcard.

I guess I should note that I *think* I would probably prefer headphones that go completely over my ears (would engulf my earlobes). From pictures I see of a lot of these (like the DT990s) it looks like peoples earlobes are out under the end of the earcup, and the earcup "sits" on the ear. The shape of the 598s looks more like something I would want honestly.

Jul 18, 2013 at 7:49 PM Post #13 of 43
Quote:
So many different suggestions! Variety is sometimes a bad thing. I have no idea where to start. I will start researching your guys' suggestions.
I'm not sure because I'm not used to audiophile equipment. I don't want it to be like static-y or rattle like in quality as I've heard some of my friends Razer (lol) headphones be like. So I guess quality is what I'm talking about. More than quantity, but I want the quantity there which has put me off Sennheiser.
Does anyone else like this idea?
I really like the look of this headphone. The ear cup looks very soft. Would the 250ohm variant be alright? It seems the only in my budget that would leave room for a decent DAC/Soundcard.
I guess I should note that I *think* I would probably prefer headphones that go completely over my ears (would engulf my earlobes). From pictures I see of a lot of these (like the DT990s) it looks like peoples earlobes are out under the end of the earcup, and the earcup "sits" on the ear. The shape of the 598s looks more like something I would want honestly.

The SB-TFP comes with the CS4382 DAC chip, which should be decent enough.
I would consider the older Titanium series to have a better "gaming" audio processor then the newer Recon3d and Z series

The cups on the DT990 are plenty big for fitting around the ears, just tested them 5 seconds ago.
Can not see how any ones ears would not fit inside the DT990 cups.

One advantage the Sennheiser HD5XX series would have is you could get away with plugging it straight into the Titanium sound card.
Having a headphone amplifier would be preferred, but not required.

Jul 18, 2013 at 9:29 PM Post #15 of 43
Quote:
Maybe the V-Moda M100s. 
I haven't heard them, but told to be one of the best Bass-Head closed, portable cans. 

The M-100s are a step up from the M-80s, improving on probably everything that the M80 didn't. The recessed mids are, yes, still recessed, but clearer, and the treble is a little more sparkling. As for the bass, it's punchy, slightly boomy, but pretty tight. For a basshead can, it's a great choice. 
   For the OP, you might want to head over to the Basshead Club as they're always talking about them there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back