Been being recommended the ATH-M50, not sure what I need.
Jul 18, 2013 at 9:39 PM Post #16 of 43
If you want both open and bassy, you really only have 3 options:
HD650
DT990
Fidelio X1

That's it.

Now you could eq something like a ma900, though you would need something to eq with.

Anyway, if I were you, I'd grab the x1. It doesn't need a nice amp

Jul 18, 2013 at 9:45 PM Post #17 of 43
The 598's are known to be a little bass light even compared to the 558's I think you would like something like the Sennheiser Momentum's better.
Quote:
What DAC or soundcard would you recommend? How poor is the bass on the HD600s? For the DT700 what version would you suggest 80? 32? 250 ohm? I was looking into the DT700s earlier because I've heard good things about Beyerdynamics.

The HD600's bass I would not call "poor" it just doesn't have a lot of it which was changed in the HD650 but then people think that it is lacking in the high's so some people prefer the HD600's.

Why isn't the Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro good for anything? It has to be better than running stock from the motherboard? I wouldn't worry about DAC/amp unless you god something like the HD600/650, 250ohm beyer's or an ortho.

The Beyer DT770 Pro 80ohm is usually the one recomended for people wanting bass.
Quote:
Maybe the V-Moda M100s. 
I haven't heard them, but told to be one of the best Bass-Head closed, portable cans. 

I was wondering why nobody had said this yet, I think these would be a safe bet.

Jul 18, 2013 at 9:50 PM Post #19 of 43
Can not see how any ones ears would not fit inside the DT990 cups.

Having a headphone amplifier would be preferred, but not required.

I think I would want an amp with my budget, ya?

The 598's are known to be a little bass light even compared to the 558's I think you would like something like the Sennheiser Momentum's better.
The HD600's bass I would not call "poor" it just doesn't have a lot of it which was changed in the HD650 but then people think that it is lacking in the high's so some people prefer the HD600's.

Why isn't the Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro good for anything? It has to be better than running stock from the motherboard? I wouldn't worry about DAC/amp unless you god something like the HD600/650, 250ohm beyer's or an ortho.

The Beyer DT770 Pro 80ohm is usually the one recomended for people wanting bass.

I was wondering why nobody had said this yet, I think these would be a safe bet.

Yeah I'm learning towards the DT770s. But you guys have given me so many suggestions I have a lot to look into :). What the difference between them and the 770s and 990s. From research I see that the 770s are more bassy but the 990s are open. I think I would prefer the cleaner sound of open phones rather that more emphasis on bass. Also which Ohm varient would be best? From Amazon the 250 Ohm 770 is $180, 32 Ohm $250, and 80 Ohm $230. Wouldn't the 250 Ohm vairnet be the way to go at that price? Right now I think I'm looking into the Fidelio X1, 770s, and 990s.

I had assumed because of the lack of an amp it wouldn't be what I was looking for on the X-Fi Titanium, also the drivers for it are balls at best.

Jul 18, 2013 at 10:06 PM Post #20 of 43
Quote:
I think I would want an amp with my budget, ya?
Yeah I'm learning towards the DT770s. But you guys have given me so many suggestions I have a lot to look into
smily_headphones1.gif
. What the difference between them and the 770s and 990s. From research I see that the 770s are more bassy but the 990s are open. I think I would prefer the cleaner sound of open phones rather that more emphasis on bass. Also which Ohm varient would be best? From Amazon the 250 Ohm 770 is $180, 32 Ohm $250, and 80 Ohm $230. Wouldn't the 250 Ohm vairnet be the way to go at that price? Right now I think I'm looking into the Fidelio X1, 770s, and 990s.

I had assumed because of the lack of an amp it wouldn't be what I was looking for on the X-Fi Titanium, also the drivers for it are balls at best.

The DT990s Pro 250-Ohm have just as much bass as the DT770 Pro 250-Ohm.
The DTXXX 32-Ohm versions like a little amping, to sound their best.

Jul 18, 2013 at 11:46 PM Post #22 of 43
Quote:
I think I had the wrong idea of what the different Ohm variants meant then. can you explain. I thought the higher ohm ones were the ones that needed better amps.

You are correct, the higher Ohm ones are usually the ones that need more powerful headphone amplifiers.
But, I think (guess) what Beyerdynamic did is tweak a high Ohm headphone diaphragm to work like a 32-Ohm headphone.

Jul 19, 2013 at 2:44 AM Post #23 of 43
You are correct, the higher Ohm ones are usually the ones that need more powerful headphone amplifiers.
But, I think (guess) what Beyerdynamic did is tweak a high Ohm headphone diaphragm to work like a 32-Ohm headphone.

Tyll's review of the Lower ohm versions of the Beyerdynamics say they are pretty bad. Basically get the higher-ohm versions or stay away.
I can't say for sure myself though.

Jul 19, 2013 at 3:02 AM Post #24 of 43
Quote:
Tyll's review of the Lower ohm versions of the Beyerdynamics say they are pretty bad. Basically get the higher-ohm versions or stay away.
I can't say for sure myself though.

Well, I don't see Tyll as much of a Beyer fan, as he too said that the COPs sounded pretty bad. I guess that the higher-ohm versions sound better because he used an amp with it. As far as I know, there are amps which can alter the sound slightly and add more soundstage, etc.

Jul 19, 2013 at 3:23 AM Post #25 of 43
Well, I don't see Tyll as much of a Beyer fan, as he too said that the COPs sounded pretty bad. I guess that the higher-ohm versions sound better because he used an amp with it. As far as I know, there are amps which can alter the sound slightly and add more soundstage, etc.

I think the Beyers are alright... myself... but I found the DT770 Pros 80ohm to have too much siblance for my taste. At least when running from an iPod Classic and Fiio E11.

Jul 19, 2013 at 9:50 AM Post #26 of 43
Man now I'm back to square one. I'm pretty sure if I'm spending this much money I want an amp. And the only suggestion I saw was the 99 dollar external amp. I think for that price I would be better off getting a 150~ dollar dedicated dac yeah?

Jul 19, 2013 at 11:15 AM Post #27 of 43
Quote:
Man now I'm back to square one. I'm pretty sure if I'm spending this much money I want an amp. And the only suggestion I saw was the 99 dollar external amp. I think for that price I would be better off getting a 150~ dollar dedicated dac yeah?

Do what I do: get the M-100 for $300 and the AudioQuest DragonFly for $250 then you are all set.  The problem with high inpedence cans is that you really need a good amp to drive those, and PC sound cards are generally not up to it.  The M-100 is very easy to drive, so even if you don't get an amp you will not have a problem getting good volume out of it.  The other suggestions are good too, but they might make you over budget as you need a good amp for those.

Jul 19, 2013 at 7:30 PM Post #28 of 43
Do what I do: get the M-100 for $300 and the AudioQuest DragonFly for $250 then you are all set.  The problem with high inpedence cans is that you really need a good amp to drive those, and PC sound cards are generally not up to it.  The M-100 is very easy to drive, so even if you don't get an amp you will not have a problem getting good volume out of it.  The other suggestions are good too, but they might make you over budget as you need a good amp for those.

550 is way over budget for me mate. I don't really want to spend over 400 if I don't have to and only have 500 to spend at max.

Jul 19, 2013 at 7:39 PM Post #29 of 43
550 is way over budget for me mate. I don't really want to spend over 400 if I don't have to and only have 500 to spend at max.

You don't really have to worry about an amp for the m100...
Just buy the headphones. They are plenty efficient on their own. I would recommend picking up a nice desktop amp and DAC sometime down the line... It will improve the sound of the m100 and open things up if you decide to sell them off and upgrade your headphones

Jul 19, 2013 at 7:45 PM Post #30 of 43
Quote:
You don't really have to worry about an amp for the m100...
Just buy the headphones. They are plenty efficient on their own. I would recommend picking up a nice desktop amp and DAC sometime down the line... It will improve the sound of the m100 and open things up if you decide to sell them off and upgrade your headphones

I have to agree here. Any mid-range amp or DAC that you get will be very useful to you down the line, because normally you wouldn't sell them along with your headphones. They're kinda like an investment, if you want to put it that way. Soon, if you do get some power-hungry pairs in the future, that mid-range DAC/amp will do you good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back