Beefy budget help me spend it (spkr/hps)
Aug 9, 2003 at 7:41 PM Post #16 of 19
I called an audiogon seller inquiring about a pair of 1.6QRs and instinct took over...

I've not got to worry about ample amplification for these puppies.

I've got about $2000 left of the budget for amplification (2500 if I get something with a great headphone jack).

I was leaning previously toward VTLs, inlight of Wilson M.'s comments and the consideration I'd be buying used, I think I'd be best off allocating my funds elsewhere. (I've blown my Jolida 2x already).

The Odyssey Stratos are still high on my list which would leave ~1100-1600 for a good used preamplifier. The odyssey seems to be praised with the 1.6s on AudioAssylum and Harmonic Discord---what do you guys think? I'm pretty positive whatever poweramp I go with I definatly want a tubed pre-amp, but have no preference as to mono blocks, stereoamps or integrateds. As long is they are driven beautifully an have atleast 3 line level inputs we're golden (though 4 would be a plus as would a great phonostage).

I'm gonna create a new thread to lessen confusion so you guys can help me with this problem exclusivly.

Fred

Aug 9, 2003 at 8:09 PM Post #17 of 19
I forgot that you had the Jota (I read that thread a while back, nice pics that's for sure).

I don't mind the high voltage. What I mind is trying to find decent NOS tubes.

I'm no engineer so excuse my ignorance but I don't know how Stax users feel comfortable with 580 V DC right next to their ears.

I never liked the Krell sound so I don't blame you for getting rid of them.

It's hard to beat SET with other tube designs but you have to deal with the low power unless you can fork over the money for higher power and even then you aren't taking about a LOT of power.

We should get back on topic. We're going to put Gopher in the poor house with the gear we're talking about.
biggrin.gif

Aug 9, 2003 at 11:18 PM Post #18 of 19
Fred, for the price of the Odessy amps you can pick up either a used McCormack DNA-225 or Krell KAV-250 and have more power and better sound. I wish I would have known you were making a move I just sold two of the Krells and the matching pre. The McCormack is probably a little sweeter, and warmer sounding amp than the Krell. The Krells always did me right with a warm source and are built like tanks.(both amps are) I didn't get to hear one until I had the Krells or would have gone that way.
If you go with an Int. and can get by with 80 WPC the Unico is a super bargain, and really good at any price.

Aug 10, 2003 at 5:38 AM Post #19 of 19
Quote:

Originally posted by Wilson M.
It's hard to beat SET with other tube designs but you have to deal with the low power unless you can fork over the money for higher power and even then you aren't taking about a LOT of power.

Art Audio SET amps do just fine as long as not driving electrostats or speakers with *strange* impedance. I have heard a share of weak and slow sounding high power amps than these. but the KR T100 tubes look interesting
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back