Bedside Rig
Aug 2, 2006 at 3:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

The Monkey

Monkey See, Monkey DAC
A really sick dud
I know a lot of Head-Fiers (like myself) listen to their phones in bed. I'm curious to know what folks are using as their bedside rig. Do you go portable, transportable, or do you have a full-blown home rig on your night stand just waiting to have water spilled on it?
biggrin.gif

Lately, my bedside rig has been one of the following:

iPod--->MicroAmp--->UE-10 or DT 770

or

H120/MicroStack in MicroStack Bag--->UE-10 or DT 770

If not for stupid DRM, I would use the H120 setup all the time, but that's for another post.

I really love the MicroStack setup. However, sometimes I think a more substantial bedside rig would actually be easier to use because it wouldn't have to be balanced precariously on my belly.
eek.gif

Aug 2, 2006 at 3:49 AM Post #2 of 16
Creative Zen Sleek Photo 20GB ---> Cardas 6" Mini to Mini ---> PA2V2 ---> Grado SR60

Aug 2, 2006 at 4:06 AM Post #3 of 16
iPod mini -> SPC recabled KSC75s... which I'm about to go enjoy.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 2, 2006 at 5:09 AM Post #4 of 16
canal phones work great for falling asleep-- they help you to "block out" all other noise-- it's like a nice earplug. i guess with any can though-- you have to wake up to it dangling from somewhere around you!!

Aug 2, 2006 at 5:31 AM Post #5 of 16
Here are my bed/desk side rigs:

1) Sony D-25 -> Line Out -> RSA Hornet ->UE-10's

2) 5G iPod -> ALO Cotton Dock -> RSA Hornet -> UE-10's

They both keep me very happy.
biggrin.gif

Aug 2, 2006 at 7:22 AM Post #6 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by iluvcans
canal phones work great for falling asleep-- they help you to "block out" all other noise-- it's like a nice earplug. i guess with any can though-- you have to wake up to it dangling from somewhere around you!!

They sure do... and they will also keep you from hearing an alarm clock! That's why I avoid IEMs at night.

Lately, I've been using the HeadFive with either the RS-1s or HF-1s in bed. I'll either use a docked iPod or the SACD player as a source. The Grados are comfortable enough to fall asleep with them on.

Aug 2, 2006 at 9:10 AM Post #7 of 16
I used to love listening in bed, but the HF-1s keep my wife awake too, and having got used to them, the ER4S' sound a bit thin (if exceptionally resolving)- I prefer the fuller bodied more rockin' sound of the HF-1s. Now what would be a cheap closed can that sounds like the HF1?!
wink.gif

Aug 2, 2006 at 5:46 PM Post #9 of 16
Tivoli Model CD > Signal Cable ICs > Corda Headfive > Shure E4s

Aug 5, 2006 at 9:07 PM Post #10 of 16
Currently I am using a Philips DVP642 (about $50 from Radio Shack) to a Lite DAC-AH to X-Can V3 (modified by PinkFloyd) to K701. Shortly I will change it to: DVP642 to Micro Dac and Micro Amp w/ 2006 Desktop Module to K701. Do not know if that helps.

Aug 6, 2006 at 2:56 AM Post #11 of 16
I recently decided to start building a bedside rig because I usually read right before going to sleep (and I can't exactly use the speakers, heh). A source hasn't been acquired yet so in the interim I've been using:

CS-V720 > DT880 (since the source has a headphone jack and a nice big knob for volume control)

Eventually going to be a better source that can play MP3 CD-Rs to the LDM+ to the DT880, unless the A900 or SR225 change my mind.
wink.gif

Aug 6, 2006 at 3:24 AM Post #12 of 16
damn people..you guys really love tha music...
i usually just turn on the boob tube before hitting the sack...
although i used to use creative zen to px-100...

Aug 6, 2006 at 5:06 AM Post #13 of 16
technics SLP-220 DC deck => earmax => HD580

Warm OTL tubes and Senn house sound.... totally theraputic.

Garrett

Aug 6, 2006 at 5:17 AM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
technics SLP-220 DC deck => earmax => HD580

Warm OTL tubes and Senn house sound.... totally theraputic.

Garrett

Senns are definatly good for bringing about sleep.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 6, 2006 at 5:23 AM Post #15 of 16
My God! do you also wear IEMS when making love to? Just kidding.

I think a bedside rig is a great idea for me to create and I would like to use full size cans. My problem is that my pillow is flabby and not great.

Can anyone recommend a good pillow that's sturdy and supportive for me lay down and would allow me to use full size cans with ease while laying down? ....maybe one of those tube shaped pillows I suppose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back