Bedroom speakers for listening to music [$400-450]
Nov 2, 2014 at 8:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

Datastream

Head-Fier
Looking to spend around £300/$400 on some speakers for my desktop they'll be plugged into my PC (onboard sound) in a relatively small bedroom. I will be using them to play all types of Hip-Hop new and old and some EDM.

I'm not sure if I should just get some powered speakers like the JBL LSR305 or look at bookshelf such as the Dali Zensors and a small amp / dac too which i'd look at spending upto $150 on.

Any recommendations on what type of speakers to get? and if needed the type of DAC / Amp that go well with em

JBLS: £215 a pair
Dalis: £300 a pair

Nov 2, 2014 at 9:50 AM Post #2 of 25
The LSR305 are a very good speaker.

For passive speakers, I hear good things about Dalis. Also Wharfedale Diamonds. Particularly the 10.1s.

Best value for an amp for passive speakers is typically to look on the used market for a stereo or home audio receiver.

Nov 2, 2014 at 10:44 AM Post #4 of 25
Would I need to mount powered speakers on a stand to get maximum potential out of them or would they be ok placed on a desk?

Most likely, but it depends on placement.

Speaker placement is almost always a compromise from optimal placement, except for those audiophiles who have dedicated listening rooms. Most people just put them on their desk in this kind of setup, toed in toward the listener, with the tweeter aimed toward the ear.

Nov 4, 2014 at 4:01 AM Post #7 of 25
for EDM you should seriously look into KRK RP5s or RP6's, unlike the JBL's they are front ported making them ideal for sitting on a desk with a wall behind.  I would use active monitors over passive/amp setup, but its personal choice.

Nov 8, 2014 at 5:56 PM Post #8 of 25
If you need bass than get 8" monitors or 5" monitors with a subwoofer. I would get the JBL LSR305 than get a subwoofer. Run the JBL full range and crossover the sub around 65-75hz. That is how my setup is. I find though with a dedicated sub I stopped listening to dubstep because it becomes a headache.  

Nov 11, 2014 at 8:04 AM Post #9 of 25
Yeah. That's one of the reasons I now prefer the ~5" mains + sub(s) solution over using 8" or twin 7" mains.

You can take out the sub bass easily, with the click of a footswitch or something, if it gets too heavy or you are in danger of irrirating other people.

Nov 11, 2014 at 1:26 PM Post #10 of 25
I should clarify i hardly listen to EDM its mostly hip-hop, most of the type i listen to doesn't really have much bass either so i don't think its that much of an issue. Although i think i'll probably want one. are there any that aren't too expensive?

Nov 11, 2014 at 2:39 PM Post #11 of 25
Depends on what kind of sub. Studio subwoofers generally run $300-$400. I got my subwoofer for $265 new but I assume you do not live in the United States. They have crossovers and can be disabled but are harder to find cheap and are probably not the best value for the money. I would not pay more than $300 for one. Rooms size is important. My room is small and my sub is overkill. I would not get more than a 10 incher for a small room. Depending on your budget look towards some good home theater subwoofers. Polk sells refurbished DSW Pro subs for really cheap on their ebay store. BIC F12 and PL 200 are good but consider the size of your room. Do not have to spend that much money on a sub for a bedroom type setup. Higher end subs are only useful when you have a big room to fill, small rooms cannot take advantage of expensive subs as nicely. My cheap Yamaha sub was very good for me so look around. $200 should do the job nicely. 

Nov 11, 2014 at 3:02 PM Post #12 of 25
Agreed. Room size does make a difference if you are trying to fill a whole room with sound (vs. nearfield usage sitting at a computer). There are some 8" subs that have enough output. It sort of depends on the sub and what volumes you listen to. For example, HSU's STF-1 would generally work well in a bedroom.

Dec 1, 2014 at 5:11 PM Post #13 of 25
So i got a pair of LSR305s and a Scarlett 2i2, all setup sounds good. Only issue i'm having is the bass/sub is kind of drowny even when the volume is turned up less than half. Is there a way of adjusting it because there's no way i can have these like this all the time kinda as its kind of annoying.. I even tried playing high quality AACs still the subbass is still active would be handy if i could turn it off. 

Dec 1, 2014 at 5:54 PM Post #14 of 25
So i got a pair of LSR305s and a Scarlett 2i2, all setup sounds good. Only issue i'm having is the bass/sub is kind of drowny even when the volume is turned up less than half. Is there a way of adjusting it because there's no way i can have these like this all the time kinda as its kind of annoying.. I even tried playing high quality AACs still the subbass is still active would be handy if i could turn it off. 

So not clear. Are you saying you are using a sub, too? If so, you balance the sub and speakers using the gain on the sub and the volume controls on the speakers themselves.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back