Beats Tour and HTC One
May 30, 2013 at 5:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

javyn

New Head-Fier
Hey all,

Before you flame the heck out of my for opening a Beats thread (Oh noes!!!).... please hear me out a bit.

My fiance bought me a pair of Beats Tour for my birthday a few months ago.  While it definitely isn't the set of earphones I'd have chosen, in order to keep the house harmonious, I, of course, decided to keep them.

I mainly use them with my iPhone 4, but I am hankering to get rid of the Apple and get an Android phone...and here's where the potential problem comes in....

Will the Beats Tour sound just as good (or bad, heheh) plugged into an Android phone as it does an iPhone?  I realize ControlTalk functionality is Apple only...which is fine, but what about the equalizer, sound drivers, on the Android phones?  

I am assuming since the HTC One has some sort of Beats by Dre speaker in it, that the Beats Tour earphones should sound comparable?

(FWIW....I am considering an HTC One running STOCK Android, which was just announced.  I just read an article on The Verge that says the Beats by Dre equalizer is going to be built into stock Android now...so I'm thinking if there is any Android phone to maximize Beats earphones performance, this is it? )

Thanks.

May 30, 2013 at 5:39 PM Post #3 of 6
Sure.

[size=13.63636302947998px]Of course, the big question with running stock on the One is how HTC's unique hardware features will work without its software, and it sounds like there's good news: Barra told me Beats Audio will still work — the hardware optimization is active all the time, but it won't put an icon in the menu bar.
[/size]

http://www.theverge.com/2013/5/30/4380574/htc-one-with-stock-android-hands-on

edit:  So you are saying the stock EQ with Android is good?  I dunno man...I have a Nexus 7, and honestly the audio is complete CRAP.  I really hope the Android phones are way better in that regard.

And not to be off topic, but when the hell is Google going to fix the Bluetooth stack so connecting to cars with MS Sync or BT Speakers don't sound so much like garbage heh.

May 30, 2013 at 6:24 PM Post #4 of 6
Okay... that's really not what it says at all then. They're just pointing out that the Beats hardware is built into the phone and will still work without express support built into android for it.

Any active EQ is bad, IMO. I use my Nexus 4 as my portable device for my FLAC music with all EQ settings disabled and i'm very happy with how it sounds. I won't start Beats-bashing but you really can't complain about any other device sounding "bad" if you're using a Beats product. Unless overemphasized muddy bass and squashed mids is "good".

May 30, 2013 at 6:31 PM Post #6 of 6
It's alright, i'm not a fan. I got my father a nice pair of bluetooth headphones last christmas for his phone because he was complaining about wires at work, and while they sounded fine, I don't know. I could be biased because I think BT headphones are just another useless thing that needs a charging cable and maintenence. But he loves them.

I just use my Denon AH-D2000's and the space age technology of wires connected to a headphone plug. On the lookout for some good IEM's though, just as an aside. Full size headphones arn't exactly portable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back