"Beats Studio by Dr. Dre" vs "Grado SR80i"
Feb 19, 2012 at 4:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

NepWK

New Head-Fier
I don't give a damn about the design, looks or the portability. Don't give a damn about isolation or sound cancelation. I found this damaged brand new dre dre for pretty much the same price as sr80i, Drivers and electronics are perfectly fine, just the headband is damaged, which I can replace with another headband and some hotglue. Comfort is not a issue.

By purely based on sound Q, which one do you think? Everyplace I look I heard dr dre was piece of **** for that retail price, since price is significantly reduced in my case, would you buy it?

Feb 19, 2012 at 4:45 PM Post #2 of 13
Are you sure these Beats are the real thing and not a knockoff?

They're both colored headphones, the only way to tell which ones are best for you is to try them both.

Feb 19, 2012 at 5:18 PM Post #4 of 13
Get the Grado SR60i's instead and save a few dollars.  Unless you like earth shaking bass, the Grado's will outperform the Beats.

Feb 19, 2012 at 5:22 PM Post #5 of 13
Feb 19, 2012 at 5:25 PM Post #6 of 13

Quote:
I found this damaged brand new dre dre for pretty much the same price as sr80i,   

I'd go for the dre, if it's damaged it's probably an improvement..

Feb 20, 2012 at 12:55 AM Post #7 of 13

Quote:
Are you sure these Beats are the real thing and not a knockoff?

They're both colored headphones, the only way to tell which ones are best for you is to try them both.

I'm buying from damaged goods office of an official retailer. Pretty sure its a real deal.

Today I had a chance to listen them both, well grados sounded better than what I already have, dre wasn't very terrible,bass was too much, and vocals was overwhelming the guitars. Another thing about Dre, the soundstage was somewhat weird, I cannot put my finger on it but I was plain weird. Few more opinions and I'm probably sticking with grados.

Feb 20, 2012 at 1:25 AM Post #8 of 13
I'm buying from damaged goods office of an official retailer. Pretty sure its a real deal.

Today I had a chance to listen them both, well grados sounded better than what I already have, dre wasn't very terrible,bass was too much, and vocals was overwhelming the guitars. Another thing about Dre, the soundstage was somewhat weird, I cannot put my finger on it but I was plain weird. Few more opinions and I'm probably sticking with grados.

Get the Grados if the Beats sound "weird"... "weird" must be a bad indication lmao

Feb 20, 2012 at 3:09 AM Post #10 of 13
This is not a competition.  IMO, the Beats are worth around $30-$50 at most, with like $300 worth of advertising poured into them.  The Grados are phenomenal.  No, I'm not a diehard Grado fanboy or anything, but they are, admittedly, what got me addicted to headphones.  They just sound great for their price.  

Feb 20, 2012 at 4:58 AM Post #11 of 13
get the grado. you already spelled out the problems with the beats, the grado have none of that. get the grados lol

Feb 20, 2012 at 3:32 PM Post #12 of 13
I bough grados, thanks for the comments.

I'm bloody happy with the my choice, as the real performance was way better than the one I tried at the store. Maybe it was because the burn in, maybe something else. Also beware of dr dre demo stands, the one I went actually had a hidden amplifier under the table, which made headphone louder and maybe better. Real sound is not that good nor loud.

Nov 21, 2013 at 4:56 PM Post #13 of 13
YES , same with Soul Republics! i heard them on display and bought them and when i plugged them into my ipod it was completely different sound - less powerful. They have a hidden amp under the display ! THIS IS FALSE ADVERTISEMENT BY SOL! SHAME ON THEM!!! I returned those pieces of crap and did some research and bought some Grado sr80i's.........they should be here any day....

SOL REPUBLIC IS A RIP OFF!  SHAME ON BESY BUY TOO FOR ALLOWING SOL TO SET UP A GIMMICK DISPLAY IN THEIR STORE

Users who are viewing this thread

Back